Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its ****ing awesome, fair play to them. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Just got invited to a sesh in Galway over the weekend, mate of mine just made 25 grand on Leicester :P Pays to have a supporter you know :P. In all honesty though, what a night for football. This season has shown that football isn't about having the most expensive or best set of players, it's about a cohesive unit that will fight and die for each other, who will put their bodies on the line. Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,339 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Leicester City are the Premier League champions! Imagine the thought of that at the start of the season!

They was 5000 to 1, it really is a dream fairytale season for them

Kasabian will be very happy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Well done to Leicester, well deserved. I expected them to drop off after Christmas but they certainly proved me and countless others wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Paid my first VAT bill this morning as a sole trader.

God, it hurt. €820 just handed over. I know it should be grand cause its money I'm earning but I really dislike having to just hand over a massive chunk like that :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lord TSC wrote: »

God, it hurt. €820 just handed over. I know it should be grand cause its money I'm earning but I really dislike having to just hand over a massive chunk like that :(

What is it you do dude - like Amazon distance selling or something along those lines?

VAT shouldn't be an expense to you. I know you've likely had to absorb the costs of the VAT though in order to keep your competitive prices :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Selling shares in 2 weeks and 52% of it goes straight to tax, we're talking 5 figures too of just pure tax, I want to cry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Selling shares in 2 weeks and 52% of it goes straight to tax, we're talking 5 figures too of just pure tax, I want to cry.

Did that too absolute sickening amount to pay over

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    What is it you do dude - like Amazon distance selling or something along those lines?

VAT shouldn't be an expense to you. I know you've likely had to absorb the costs of the VAT though in order to keep your competitive prices :(

Yeah, Amazon selling. Buying stuff mainly abroad, shipping it off to another country, and selling it online.

Because of the competition on Amazon, I wasn't able to raise my prices at all when I registered for VAT. A lot of the time, making something 1c more expensive loses you the buy box and makes it impossible to sell an item. Thats why on Amazon you see people with items with weird prices like £10.43 or whatever; that one pence makes all the difference.
    I get the stuff cheaper now (intra-state trading means wholesalers outside of Ireland but in the EU charge me "0" VAT) but I've got to hand over 23% of everything I sell :( And thats before we get to Tax (though I'm technically operating at a loss still in Year 2, so thats not as big an issue).

Like...it's not the end of the world, and I've already adjusted, but it's altered what I can and can't buy, in terms of stuff that was a good seller two months ago without VAT now isn't worth looking at with VAT. Because I didn't have massive startup cash, I still have to be doubling my money at a steady rate, which gets harder with VAT involved.

I tried trading shares once but didn't have a whole lot of cash to start up. Meant that fees were a killer. That and I invested quiet badly with my decisions. Eventually made the money back. But I envy anyone who can work that market, cause it seems to take so much research to nail properly. When I get some more spare cash, would love to take another crack at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Whats the link to your shop TSC?

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    Whats the link to your shop TSC?

I know this sounds funny, and I don't mean to be rude but I'm going to choose not to link it publicly. Thanks for asking, but because I'm registered as a business, Amazon insists on putting my home address up publicly. For customer service returns and so on. Its quite prominent once you click on the store details. So I don't really want my address linked up too easily in case some nutters decide to show up to my door to contest moderations :o

Sadly, everything is UK only cause of fees anyway; the way Amazon works, it's not really profitable to ship to Ireland cause they charge more, which annoys me as an Irish seller. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

UK based (well, English...) internet sellers have a funny attitude towards delivery to Ireland*. I stopped buying stuff off of eBay years ago because of the "UK only" thing. I know there's the Parcels Motel and Wizards but that's just adding another step in the process you're paying for. I haven't wanted something bad enough to warrant using it.

* I guess probably because Royal Mail classify the south as "international" but Dublin is closer to England than Latvia obviously....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Yeah, Amazon selling. Buying stuff mainly abroad, shipping it off to another country, and selling it online.

Because of the competition on Amazon, I wasn't able to raise my prices at all when I registered for VAT. A lot of the time, making something 1c more expensive loses you the buy box and makes it impossible to sell an item. Thats why on Amazon you see people with items with weird prices like £10.43 or whatever; that one pence makes all the difference.
    I get the stuff cheaper now (intra-state trading means wholesalers outside of Ireland but in the EU charge me "0" VAT) but I've got to hand over 23% of everything I sell :( And thats before we get to Tax (though I'm technically operating at a loss still in Year 2, so thats not as big an issue).

Like...it's not the end of the world, and I've already adjusted, but it's altered what I can and can't buy, in terms of stuff that was a good seller two months ago without VAT now isn't worth looking at with VAT. Because I didn't have massive startup cash, I still have to be doubling my money at a steady rate, which gets harder with VAT involved.

I tried trading shares once but didn't have a whole lot of cash to start up. Meant that fees were a killer. That and I invested quiet badly with my decisions. Eventually made the money back. But I envy anyone who can work that market, cause it seems to take so much research to nail properly. When I get some more spare cash, would love to take another crack at it.

That's one of the maddest jobs ive ever heard of!

Seems to be very involved and a lot of steps. Well done Lord TSC, it's great to see some of our own doing well (apart from the VAT)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Wow LordTSC, that's crazy! Awesome stuff dude. You remind me of when I was talking to this entrepreneur guru, he said "entrepreneurs work 100 hours so they don't have to work 40"!

Ageyev wrote: »
    UK based (well, English...) internet sellers have a funny attitude towards delivery to Ireland*. I stopped buying stuff off of eBay years ago because of the "UK only" thing. I know there's the Parcels Motel and Wizards but that's just adding another step in the process you're paying for. I haven't wanted something bad enough to warrant using it.

* I guess probably because Royal Mail classify the south as "international" but Dublin is closer to England than Latvia obviously....

As I said, it's a fees thing with Amazon. I think its crazy that 100% of my sales are outside the country I live in, but because Amazon charge more for deliveries outside the UK, I just can't justify it. I'm guessing, as you said, its cause Royal Mail classifies us poorly, which is a shame. I rarely order off Amazon any more, and I used to loads. When I do now, it's Parcel Motel all the way.
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    That's one of the maddest jobs ive ever heard of!
    gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Seems to be very involved and a lot of steps. Well done Lord TSC, it's great to see some of our own doing well (apart from the VAT)!
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Wow LordTSC, that's crazy! Awesome stuff dude. You remind me of when I was talking to this entrepreneur guru, he said "entrepreneurs work 100 hours so they don't have to work 40"!

Thanks lads :)

Its not that its a massive success yet but it's growing and, being honest, I love doing it. I could have made more money as a sub teacher, working 1 day a fortnight and staring up the walls in between. But despite the lack of money so far, it's a real passion project and an education. :)

So in lehmans terms you but say 100 USB sticks in one country for say 100 euro and then ship them too another country and sell them for more?? Or am I waaay of the mark?

So in lehmans terms you but say 100 USB sticks in one country for say 100 euro and then ship them too another country and sell them for more?? Or am I waaay of the mark?

Yeah, pretty much. Focusing on branded toys (Barbie, Disney, etc), but yeah. Buying mainly from the Northern European countries, ship to here, prep them and then off they go to England for proper distribution to customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,852 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bought the X-men complete collection (up to dofp) on blu ray . What's the best order to Watch them in (start with the prequels and end with the wolverine ??)

Going to watch the Dudley's documentary now

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Bought the X-men complete collection (up to dofp) on blu ray . What's the best order to Watch them in (start with the prequels and end with the wolverine ??)

Going to watch the Dudley's documentary now

Pretty good explanation of the Xmen time line here

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-chronological-order-of-the-X-Men-films

• Advertisement

Yeah, pretty much. Focusing on branded toys (Barbie, Disney, etc), but yeah. Buying mainly from the Northern European countries, ship to here, prep them and then off they go to England for proper distribution to customers.

Ok maybe I'm a bit slow but are the toys cheaper from those countries? How do you mean "prep" them? Also when people search Amazon and filter by order would it not be cheaper and easyier for them too order from the same country you do?

Ok maybe I'm a bit slow but are the toys cheaper from those countries? How do you mean "prep" them? Also when people search Amazon and filter by order would it not be cheaper and easyier for them too order from the same country you do?

Not going to go into too much specifics in public (can do by PM if you want), but basically I'm buying from companies who only sell to other companies, and insist you buy in bulk. Most have minimum orders of a few hundred Euro, but by buying 20 or 30 at a time, they give you it way cheaper than buying individuals. As an example, there's one Disney doll that I'm buying for €1.50, and it's selling on Amazon for £20. Thats an extreme example (most items, I buy for €5 and sell for £10-12) but thats the gist of it. I bought 100 of that doll two weeks ago, and have sold 4 this week. They are a lovely money maker :P

99% of the companies just don't sell to the public. Some crop up to minimum orders of €1000+, some have other hoops to jump through; there's a big crowd in Germany who insist on getting pictures of you shop to prove you have one, one in Italy want three references from others. There's one in Dublin that, when you go in the door, there's signs all over the place along the lines of "No sales to general public". Need accounts, company IDs, etc.

Prep is just following Amazon guidelines; some products need special labels, some need to be bagged from protection. Often need to do a quality check on everything, make sure its good to sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

Hi guys. Not been here in awhile. just been reading stuff on the forum.

I was hoping to go for this job Director of Hockey Operations Ireland. But I have not been a member for a year so I can't apply for it

Not going to go into too much specifics in public (can do by PM if you want), but basically I'm buying from companies who only sell to other companies, and insist you buy in bulk. Most have minimum orders of a few hundred Euro, but by buying 20 or 30 at a time, they give you it way cheaper than buying individuals. As an example, there's one Disney doll that I'm buying for €1.50, and it's selling on Amazon for £20. Thats an extreme example (most items, I buy for €5 and sell for £10-12) but thats the gist of it. I bought 100 of that doll two weeks ago, and have sold 4 this week. They are a lovely money maker :P

99% of the companies just don't sell to the public. Some crop up to minimum orders of €1000+, some have other hoops to jump through; there's a big crowd in Germany who insist on getting pictures of you shop to prove you have one, one in Italy want three references from others. There's one in Dublin that, when you go in the door, there's signs all over the place along the lines of "No sales to general public". Need accounts, company IDs, etc.

Prep is just following Amazon guidelines; some products need special labels, some need to be bagged from protection. Often need to do a quality check on everything, make sure its good to sell.
    That's mad! Very interesting but mad! How'd you fall into that game? Do you have a physical shop aswell?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Was thinking of buying an Ireland shirt with the Euro's but can't bring myself to buy gear with a big sponsor brand on it.

Found this O'Neill's vintage gear. Lovely https://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/soccer/ireland.html

Anyone else see any old style gear?

cena wrote: »
    Hi guys. Not been here in awhile. just been reading stuff on the forum.

I was hoping to go for this job Director of Hockey Operations Ireland. But I have not been a member for a year so I can't apply for it

I know you've talked about the whole Hockey thing before on here, but its something I know so little about. Is there much of a Hockey community in Ireland (obviously is if that job exists). I think there's a team up in Dundalk I've heard a bit of in the past, but when I was talking to people from the team, it was a group of lovely but nutty Eastern Europeans :P
    That's mad! Very interesting but mad! How'd you fall into that game? Do you have a physical shop aswell?

Trained as a sub teacher, which meant one days work every two weeks if I was lucky. Eventually, as work got harder to find, I realised that if I was sitting on my ass all day waiting for a call, I was wasting time. So started looking for ways to make money from home. Don't want to give away too many of the steps that got me where I am (for now, dont want people emulating me :P), but eventually it led me to taking what little savings I had and investing it into a bunch of toys to resell.

No shop yet. Given the way the Irish economy is, don't know if I'd ever be massively interested in opening a "shop", in terms of a main street retail location. Can see me needing a physical location by the middle of next year though. Last week, I had 15 BIG boxes of goods shipping out from my house so the dining room looked a bombsite. If I keep growing, I'll probably need some sort of a storage space eventually. But baby steps at the moment ;)

I know you've talked about the whole Hockey thing before on here, but its something I know so little about. Is there much of a Hockey community in Ireland (obviously is if that job exists). I think there's a team up in Dundalk I've heard a bit of in the past, but when I was talking to people from the team, it was a group of lovely but nutty Eastern Europeans :P

Trained as a sub teacher, which meant one days work every two weeks if I was lucky. Eventually, as work got harder to find, I realised that if I was sitting on my ass all day waiting for a call, I was wasting time. So started looking for ways to make money from home. Don't want to give away too many of the steps that got me where I am (for now, dont want people emulating me :P), but eventually it led me to taking what little savings I had and investing it into a bunch of toys to resell.

No shop yet. Given the way the Irish economy is, don't know if I'd ever be massively interested in opening a "shop", in terms of a main street retail location. Can see me needing a physical location by the middle of next year though. Last week, I had 15 BIG boxes of goods shipping out from my house so the dining room looked a bombsite. If I keep growing, I'll probably need some sort of a storage space eventually. But baby steps at the moment ;)
    If it's any consolation, now that you have had to register for VAT, you will be able to claim a refund of any VAT paid on the leasing of a premises

There is and there isn't. We would need to a full rink in Ireland to give a right answer. I have to travel from Galway to Belfast to play with my team from Dublin. That hockey team in dundalk fell apart after the ice dome closed. sTILL A GOOD FEW playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Important game for Man United tonight against West Ham, they win that, they'll be 4th heading into the last game against Bournemouth on Sunday, lose or draw, and it's right back in Man City's hands.. I've a feeling United won't make it easy for themselves...

• Advertisement

I have gone and signed up for this. Be cool to get picked.

https://www.facebook.com/antarctichockey/

Advertisement