Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Loughc wrote: »
    The Irish football supporters remind me of the nxt full sail crowd, they're more interested in getting themselves over. It was funny at first but now it's wearing thin.

Add Conor McGregor fans to that too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's legitimately an embarrassing criticism. They pay in, they support the team/your boring development territory/gimmick fighter, and yet because they keep themselves entertained they're bad. We've watched RAWs for years where people don't care. As if it makes a difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Second half the team did seem to tire and sit a bit too deep leading to the goal conceded but tbh Sweden were Lucky, they had 0 shots on target I believe.

Still much better than euro 2012 already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

That's legitimately an embarrassing criticism. They pay in, they support the team/your boring development territory/gimmick fighter, and yet because they keep themselves entertained they're bad. We've watched RAWs for years where people don't care. As if it makes a difference.

I utterly cringe at people complaining about people having fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think defending fans looking to make themselves the centre of attention is like saying the Mexican wave is a sign of passion. It isn't. It's a sign of how much fans don't care what's going on.

• Advertisement

What exactly did the Irish fans do? I must have missed it concentrating on the football. Could be far worse anyway when you look at what England are going through again with their fans. Rooney couldn't look any more like he was struggling to read off a prompter with his message to their fans to cut it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

I think defending fans looking to make themselves the centre of attention is like saying the Mexican wave is a sign of passion. It isn't. It's a sign of how much fans don't care what's going on.

Yea screw them for having fun. Damn supporters trying to put themselves with their Mexican waves.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's not the fans that go to the matches are the problem it's the lads who are there "for the craic" trying their best "to go viral" and more concerned about getting themselves noticed than the football.

As I said it was funny at first and it is harmless they could be doing much worse but it's embarrassing sometimes.

What's to say they don't care? They're at the match, they've spend hundreds if not thousands to be there, they're watching the match. They're doing more to support the team than myself or yourself that are watching at home tbh. Just because they chant stuff during it or have fun beforehand doesn't mean they don't care.

Yea screw them for having fun. Damn supporters trying to put themselves with their Mexican waves.

In fairness many ex-pros despise the wave precisely because it shows the fans aren't paying attention to what's going on on the pitch.

I've no problem with fans having fun. I hope they do and I hope they do so safely. I just hope the primary focus is on giving a round of applause to the players, as opposed to getting a pat on the back for themselves. It's not supposed to be about getting themselves over, but getting the competitors over the line. And I would argue that applies to both sports and wrestling.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

On a lighter note, Low Blows views on the Irish football team.
    "Ireland are like the Social Outcasts. We're small, we love to sing and dance, nobody hates us but nobody really likes us. We almost always lose, but every now and then Heath Slater will beat Big Show and we're all like 'OH MY GOD HE JUST BEAT THE BIG SHOW' but then the next week we're back to normal."

In fairness many ex-pros despise the wave precisely because it shows the fans aren't paying attention to what's going on on the pitch.
    Only ever happens during an utterly dull match where you could argue the players do a disservice by not entertaining the fans anyway. Trap 2012 was awful on the eye and he showed no respect to the supporters or even behind the scenes with players like Kevin Foley.
    I've no problem with fans having fun. I hope they do and I hope they do so safely. I just hope the primary focus is on giving a round of applause to the players, as opposed to getting a pat on the back for themselves. It's not supposed to be about getting themselves over, but getting the competitors over the line. And I would argue that applies to both sports and wrestling.
    Best example in football of people slagging fans was during Spain 2012. What are they supposed to do? Sit on their hands while Fernando Torres embarrasses the team and regret flying over or just making the most of it. Tonight the fans were 100% behind the team and tbf the lads did us proud in that first half so deserved a lot of credit. You'll never hear a football crowd chant "We are Awesome". People do rave about Jordan/Gable getting standing ovations and non-stop chanting for 10 minutes. They don't deserve that much praise but it's cool as a spectacle.

Let people enjoy themselves. They pay money in to games/shows. That allows them to boo, sing, dance or whatever once it isn't causing hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Jaysus lads in a world where a gay nightclub gets shot to fűck,isis are literally creating a war and fans of other nations in marseilles were practically trying to slice each other open.
    What harm is there in fans trying to “get themselves over as the best fans“? They spent their hard earned to get there. I say as long as they hurt nobody leave enjoy the championships whatever way they want.

As for pro's being insulted by mexican waves perhaps they should try harder to entertain or else be a pro and just get on with it.

In other news i cant see us getting much from either of these sides italy have been excellent and with belgiums firepower I think we'll struggle :(

Only ever happens during an utterly dull match where you could argue the players do a disservice by not entertaining the fans anyway. Trap 2012 was awful on the eye and he showed no respect to the supporters or even behind the scenes with players like Kevin Foley.

So support is contingent on whether or not the fans are being entertained? You could argue that with wrestling but not football imo. I saw Spanish fans doing a wave in their game earlier despite their players bossing the game so it's not always an act of disgruntlement. Sometimes it's fans being indulgent.
    Best example in football of people slagging fans was during Spain 2012. What are they supposed to do? Sit on their hands while Fernando Torres embarrasses the team and regret flying over or just making the most of it. Tonight the fans were 100% behind the team and tbf the lads did us proud in that first half so deserved a lot of credit. You'll never hear a football crowd chant "We are Awesome". People do rave about Jordan/Gable getting standing ovations and non-stop chanting for 10 minutes. They don't deserve that much praise but it's cool as a spectacle.

Worth remembering that the biggest critic of four years ago was legend and current assistant manager Roy Keane.

And while I agree football fans would be unlikely to be as explicit as wrestling fans and come out and say 'we are awesome', if we're honest that is the mentality a lot of fans have. Look at the 'best fans in the world' ads we have to put up with, and all the stuff on social media about how our fans are the best etc. It's a bit cringe and small time in my view.
    Let people enjoy themselves. They pay money in to games/shows. That allows them to boo, sing, dance or whatever once it isn't causing hassle.

Of course they can say what they want. That's freedom of speech. But I'm equally entitled to find it tiresome and needy and to criticize it.
    Kankan14 wrote:
    Jaysus lads in a world where a gay nightclub gets shot to fűck,isis are literally creating a war and fans of other nations in marseilles were practically trying to slice each other open.
    What harm is there in fans trying to “get themselves over as the best fans“? They spent their hard earned to get there. I say as long as they hurt nobody leave enjoy the championships whatever way they want.

As for pro's being insulted by mexican waves perhaps they should try harder to entertain or else be a pro and just get on with it.

I just think it's cringeworthy to try to get oneself over as the best fans because it means the mentality is 'me, me, me' rather than 'support the team.'

And from a wrestling viewpoint it is actually harmful to the business when fans put themselves before the guys in the ring. When you're watching a real fight (and wrestling is supposed to be presented as real despite being fake) then you are supposed to be invested emotionally in one guy winning.

I watched a documentary on the Thrilla in Manila fight the other night and the audience weren't trying to get their chants in but were engrossed in what's going on. To quote Jim Cornette, wrestling fans standing for Jerry Lawler's comeback is a great crowd reaction and not a bunch of guys chanting 'We are awesome'.

But obviously not everyone seems to agree. On a brighter note I will say that the 'Stand up for the Ulster man' chant for the NI fan who died was a terrific gesture from our fans.

I just think it's cringeworthy to try to get oneself over as the best fans because it means the mentality is 'me, me, me' rather than 'support the team.'

And from a wrestling viewpoint it is actually harmful to the business when fans put themselves before the guys in the ring. When you're watching a real fight (and wrestling is supposed to be presented as real despite being fake) then you are supposed to be invested emotionally in one guy winning.

I watched a documentary on the Thrilla in Manila fight the other night and the audience weren't trying to get their chants in but were engrossed in what's going on. To quote Jim Cornette, wrestling fans standing for Jerry Lawler's comeback is a great crowd reaction and not a bunch of guys chanting 'We are awesome'.

But obviously not everyone seems to agree. On a brighter note I will say that the 'Stand up for the Ulster man' chant for the NI fan who died was a terrific gesture from our fans.

To me its not me,me,me. While I wouldn't indulge myself in antics I see it as how those fans like to express themselves moreso than them trying to be the bestest fans in the world ever. You are of course entitled to find it cringeworthy but to me I almost enjoy watching it.

On your wrestling viewpoint I agree with you 100%. Its entirely seperate to me.

The chant stand up for an ulsterman was a nice touch. Its as good a reason as any to say we really have special fans as a nation.( I'm most nations feel this way)

Would someone care to explain to me what e3 is in laymans terms please. Ive heard/seen lots of people talk about it but I have no clue. Is it a big deal in technology or something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Would someone care to explain to me what e3 is in laymans terms please. Ive heard/seen lots of people talk about it but I have no clue. Is it a big deal in technology or something?

Its the biggest gaming convention in the world, and takes place once a year. Usually, game developers will reveal their biggest games at it, give information...its apparently very media heavy with most of the people there being journalists.

I saw the footage of the new Zelda game at E3 and it looks gorgeous.

I mainly use my 3DS and haven't yet picked up one of the current generation of consoles, though I'm thinking I'll get one at some point this year. Just not sure which one to go for. I find the Virtual Reality hype looks interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I really wish I could've seen Tiger Woods in his prime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I really wish I could've seen Tiger Woods in his prime.

You can... thanks to the PGA Network for only $9.99

Haha I love it Maggle!
    Absolutely gutted Sturridge just scored the winner for England.
    Oh, I turned 18 today by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Haha I love it Maggle!
    Absolutely gutted Sturridge just scored the winner for England.
    Oh, I turned 18 today by the way!

Happy Birthday

Happy birthday buddy.

I really hope the english media give hodgson the credit he deserves. Had the balls to make two changes at half time and it paid off. God knows he gets lambasted enough. Credit where its due!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Happy Birthday dude brother jack!

27675407946_a4692e3a2a_o.jpg

Yep move over Jay (thread title) we got a new birthday boy in town. Have a good one dude.

Wales will go through anyway imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,264 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Happy birthday AG! How're the exams going? Can't be nice having your 18th during them

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Happy birthday AG! How're the exams going? Can't be nice having your 18th during them

True, but on the other hand when it's over he can celebrate with a drink no bother, if he chooses to.

Happy birthday, AG. Enjoy it because trust me the years fly by. :)

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Great so far, I'd none today thankfully and I'm finished tomorrow with Construction from 2-5PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,264 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So be a well deserved night out and weekend of chilling

Advertisement