Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

congrats on your results / best of luck on them

moral question: I gave my word that I would go full time with my current place of work, as they were trying to get me to do so for ages. They have just told one of my co-workers they won't be renewing his contract and he will be gone at the end of the month (I am supposed to take his place apparently) although they have still not gotten me to sign a contract for the full time position (starting in August) even though they have had a verbal agreement which I wanted to put on paper for over a month now. I was just offered a full time position elsewhere that pays a lot more. Slightly further from home and more/harder work I would expect but still pretty much 20% better pay is on offer.

Would I be an ass to sign for the other company? I mean my word means a lot to me but technically I have not signed anything with my current employers and you do kinda have to look out for number 1 but I know I will be leaving them in the lurch with regards not having a replacement for the full time position and now a part time one too and they are good folk.

hmm... guess it's a good problem to have

That is a tough one.

Could you perhaps ask for a raise from your current employer? See if they can get close to matching the other one? As regards the other employer, would they be interested in your services at a later date if you told them you feel you need to be loyal to the the other employer, or is it a now or never type thing?

I guess for me it would come down to the type of relationship I had with the current employer, plus current life circumstances. If they have been good and understanding,;then I'd be reluctant to walk out on them, but if that extra money could prove a significant difference maker to my life then I'd have to give it consideration.

I guess there is no straightforward answer. Good luck with what you decide.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

That is a tough one.

Could you perhaps ask for a raise from your current employer? See if they can get close to matching the other one? As regards the other employer, would they be interested in your services at a later date if you told them you feel you need to be loyal to the the other employer, or is it a now or never type thing?

I guess for me it would come down to the type of relationship I had with the current employer, plus current life circumstances. If they have been good and understanding,;then I'd be reluctant to walk out on them, but if that extra money could prove a significant difference maker to my life then I'd have to give it consideration.

I guess there is no straightforward answer. Good luck with what you decide.

Thanks for the feedback and yeah that kinda sums up the situation (and no matter what it could make a big difference as I had been part time while doing a Chinese course and not exactly flush until now - Chinese is still sh!t though), don't think I can get anymore money out of them because I only just agreed to go full time and it was like trying to get blood from a stone when I actually turned down their first contract offer so as to get an improved offer, the one I eventually agreed to even though it's over a month later and no contract has been written up for me to even look over.

They have been pretty good to me while I've been there but one reason why I am edging towards the other offer (and not just cos of the money) is I am in the English teaching market while living abroad and those jobs are not always the most stable. There is huge turnover and wages don't usually get very high unless you can get into the management of a school and tbh I doubt that will happen in my current place. In fact teachers are often considered very easily replaceable because there is always a new English, Irish, American, Ozzie etc arriving looking for a job and usually willing to accept less pay cos they are less experienced... which means most would say take any opportunity for advancement when it's on offer.

ha I just wish my word meant less to me :pac:

Just finished MITB now for Game of Thrones... that's how you distract yourself in style!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Have my PSVR pre ordered this long time too.

Got great news in my exam results too, 2 A1's, an A2 and a B3

Well Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Congrats to Gerry on his exam results and best of luck to Lithium on his!
    Delighted for Wales tonight, really convincing victory against Russia and its great to see them finish top of the group in their first time in the European Championship. Great for Gareth Bale scoring 3 goals from 3 games also. In terms of the England and Slovakia game, Slovakia's defending wasn't pretty but it was effective with England rarely getting a clear shot on goal in the second half that I watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Nice one on the results gerry!

@BH from what I can gather you are not really going back on your word as they never met your demand to get it in writing. So I say move and make hay while the sun shines.

I am currently moving house to the city centre as we both work there. Its a royal pain the hole. Painting I love but lugging boxes and unpacking them is a nightmare :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

https://twitter.com/OSWreview/status/745404681166462976

I don't know what you're saying Jay, I found Limbo to be pretty poor. I didn't like it then and it only got worse the more I thought about it after finishing it.

And seeing as though the title has VR in it...

tumblr_mfbdi8WUy21qmpg90o1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Passed 1st year with 2nd class honours :D

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Fair play to you, man. Now you can enjoy the summer. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Congrats Gerry and Lithium! Back of the net!

Nice one!

Irish win to top it off?!

• Advertisement

Congrats Lithium, yourself and Gerry doing the business and getting the results.... now I hope Ireland can do the same as I am perhaps idiotically staying up till stupid O clock to watch it.

talked to my employers about the contract offer too and they were surprisingly cool about it, saying how much they want me to stay but that they would understand if I went the other way too as they cant match that offer, which is good cos after the talk I no longer feel like i'd be going back on my word if I take it.

now to try and search for an RTE stream so I can have fun with the Irish pundits... not likely I'll find one of those though

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Nice one!

Irish win to top it off?!

Cheers :D

Crystal ball says maybe

Congrats Lithium, yourself and Gerry doing the business and getting the results.... now I hope Ireland can do the same as I am perhaps idiotically staying up till stupid O clock to watch it.

talked to my employers about the contract offer too and they were surprisingly cool about it, saying how much they want me to stay but that they would understand if I went the other way too as they cant match that offer, which is good cos after the talk I no longer feel like i'd be going back on my word if I take it.

now to try and search for an RTE stream so I can have fun with the Irish pundits... not likely I'll find one of those though

At least your conscience is clear now.

Also that was a stonewall pen.

Yeah def a peno and if Italy keep playing like this we could see another (actually given this time) cos their arms are all over the place. Hope Long can keep his temper in check cos we dont wanna be losing him. That said a fresh Wes coming on with 30m left (not for Long) should be nice. The way this game is going Robbie might even be able to add something as Ireland actually have a lot of the ball so maybe the game wouldn't bypass him as it does more and more these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Thanks for all the nice words guys.

This is some play from Ireland. The referee deserves to be struck off though

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Right after getting my degree results last week ive decided to look into the J1 1 Year Graduate Visa to America. Just wondering has anyone her done it or know anyone who has done it.

Dont wanna be here this time next year and not done anything ha

:)

well deserved...bring on France!

5am here... sleep time

My boy Robbie Brady! I was very critical of the team to my friends but what a performance from them! I thought James McClean put in a great shift also. Robbie Brady was great as always, always been my favourite Irish player but that won't sound very original anymore!

I didn't rate that team selection at all but they delivered. One of the great nights.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'll be honest, before the competition, I thought we'd get a big old goose egg in terms of points. So to actually qualify has amazed me.

Now, onto France for some revenge! :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Already booking the taxi to work tomorrow (leaving at 5 in the morning :D) and can only imagine the disgusting mess I'll be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Finally I've been able to write "R. OF IRELAND" into a blank box on a tournament wallchart :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well Done to you and Boys in Green, great display

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Thread name change lads??? 'COYBIG' after wezzer missed that 1V1 I thought it wasn't our night but WHAT a ball for Robbie's goal!

JOXER, Ray Houghton, 88,92, 94 etc tonight was up there with them all!!!!

Would imagine there'll be some scenes on Sunday when Ireland win :D

Am I being too hopeful??

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Any fans of Power Rangers?

13442160_1326816944012784_1123525053759977332_n.png?oh=75232abd1085dd0ea17ca8164e4d531d&oe=5803F14B

Definitely going to go see the new Power Rangers movie now that Cranston has been cast, and partly out of curiosity :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Definitely going to go see the new Power Rangers movie now that Cranston has been cast, and partly out of curiosity :pac:
    Wouldn't be the first time he's been in a Power Rangers related product.

Lads, can I get your thoughts on this possible Last 16 Accumulator?
    €5 Stake
    Switzerland vs Poland - 13/8
    Wales vs Northern Ireland - Evens
    Croatia vs Portugal - 13/8
    Germany vs Slovakia - 9/20
    Hungary vs Belgium - 4/6
    England vs Iceland - 4/7

All to win, returns €261.68

• Advertisement

If you're confident enough with your picks, I say put the €5 down & go for it.. Though the England/Iceland match, what odds are Iceland for the win?

Advertisement