Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    If you're confident enough with your picks, I say put the €5 down & go for it.. Though the England/Iceland match, what odds are Iceland for the win?
    It's only a fiver at the end of the day, Iceland are 13/2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Lads, can I get your thoughts on this possible Last 16 Accumulator?
    €5 Stake
    Switzerland vs Poland - 13/8
    Wales vs Northern Ireland - Evens
    Croatia vs Portugal - 13/8
    Germany vs Slovakia - 9/20
    Hungary vs Belgium - 4/6
    England vs Iceland - 4/7

All to win, returns €261.68

As the old saying goes "there is always one" and it's never more true than in betting when one result will go wrong and screw you but looking at the small outlay and potentially big return for the favorites going through in 6 games, perhaps 6 games that people would consider the 6 most predictable I say why not go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭kksaints

€5 Stake
    Hungary vs Belgium - 4/6
    England vs Iceland - 4/7

Whats the return without the Polish match? I'd be worried that the Swiss could hold out for a draw and take it to Extra-time. I presume this is a winner in 90th minutes bet and not a to go through to the next round bet?

kksaints wrote: »
    Whats the return without the Polish match? I'd be worried that the Swiss could hold out for a draw and take it to Extra-time. I presume this is a winner in 90th minutes bet and not a to go through to the next round bet?
    I'm not sure, might be best to drop it and replace it with France to beat Ireland. I was reluctant to bet against my own at first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Yeah, all of those bets would be to win in 90 minutes; if any of them end a draw and go extra time, then the bet loses, even if the team you picked ends up qualifying. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't do it, just making sure you're aware of it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Always do draw no bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

€5 Stake
    Hungary vs Belgium - 4/6
    England vs Iceland - 4/7

switzerland/ poland to me a draw otherwise id go with that.

sky88 wrote: »
    switzerland/ poland to me a draw otherwise id go with that.
    Yeah meant to come back and say I'd change that to Poland to qualify and might change Croatia to qualify too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Portugal vs Croatia I think is tough to call. Croatia have been excellent so far but with Ronaldo rediscovering his goalscoring form I think they could do the business.

There's been a lot of slagging between me and my dad as I backed Portugal to win the tournament and he backed Croatia, so one of us will be guaranteed a good bit of stick; that's why I'm desperate for a Portugal win!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Given the magnitude of the occasion for both teams I wouldn't be over confident on Wales. Northern Ireland play 4 centre halves so they may just try nullify bale looking for extra time and penalties.

I would fancy Belgium and Germany strongly. Also I can see lewandowski catch fire and Poland beating the Swiss.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Well, ****. UK have voted to leave the EU.

Honestly cannot believe they have voted that way. Went to College in England and worked in London for a while and every single one of my UK based friends have facebook statuses atm stating how annoyed and embarrassed they are at what they see as sheer idiocy by their voting public.

Obviously those people are young, well educated and traveled people who have foreign friends etc and therefore are not necessarily the type that would have been galvanized to vote by the right wing in England but damn anytime you see people like Nigel Farage and UKIP celebrating you know something has gone terribly wrong. I'm mostly hoping that my EU based (inc in Ireland) English friends (I lived in Munich and worked with plenty a few years ago) are not affected too negatively by this.

Interestingly NI & Scotland voted to remain but obviously are tied to Britain's decision as a whole. I've already seen talk of Scotland leaving Britain cropping up again in response to this, bet they wish they voted the other way last time esp as the pound has just plummeted to its worst level in 3 decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'm amazed to be hearing the news. It's certainly jaw-dropping. The world will still turn but I feel so much fear of the unknown. We're linked so closely to the UK and will have a serious effect on us.

Might sound dramatic but IMO this is the first domino falling in the EU project.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Interestingly NI & Scotland voted to remain but obviously are tied to Britain's decision as a whole. I've already seen talk of Scotland leaving Britain cropping up again in response to this, bet they wish they voted the other way last time esp as the pound has just plummeted to its worst level in 3 decades.

Scotland remained in the UK because the ties to the EU meant it was their best decision to make from an economic point of view. With that gone, I could see them demanding another vote and this time opting to leave. And Northern Ireland are in a similar situation. Think you'll start to see way more calls for the United Ireland now.

The pound weakening has left me in a bad way now this morning. Have talked about my business here before, but 99% of my stock is sold in England, so Amazon pay me in Sterling which gets converted over to Euro. As such, the stronger exchange rates benefit me hugely. With the drop in the exchange rate, it's wiped off 10% of my stock's value this morning :( If it keeps dropping, I can see me having to move focus from England to either France or Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,264 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw one comment elsewhere from a guy who said when he and his partner were leaving the polling booths she said she didn't know what way to vote so just went with Leave. He said he was tempted to slam the door in her face when they got home.

Living in Donegal, I go into the North frequently so this will benefit me in the exchange rate, but it's going to affect so many businesses and other areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Living in Donegal, I go into the North frequently so this will benefit me in the exchange rate

Won't benifit you with the hard border though!

For now they don't know what they're doing. In the immediate future it's staying as it is. I'm old enough to remember what it was like, but that was a mixture of both customs and checkpoints due to the troubles.

People don't realize how many things it can effect. The simple example I've been giving people is that If you think the premiership team you support is going to sign that new star from the continent think again unless they are willing to pay 30/40% more.

Yesterday Mikhytarian was quoted as being available for united if they payed 30/31m now 1 day later thats more than 40m sterling

Yeah I was talking to someone last week who works in Derry and I asked if it would affect his place. He said it would probably be pretty much gone overnight.

No idea what the Leave people were thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Sterling has only gone down about 4 or 5% against the Euro as yet. Not that dramatic a shift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

People don't realize how many things it can effect. The simple example I've been giving people is that If you think the premiership team you support is going to sign that new star from the continent think again unless they are willing to pay 30/40% more.

Yesterday Mikhytarian was quoted as being available for united if they payed 30/31m now 1 day later thats more than 40m sterling

To add to that I would assume EU players would need work permits as another obstacle to signings. The current rules could possibly make signing Irish players less appealing which (might) lead to some of our better league players staying but at the same time eliminates sizable transfer fees.

As it is it's probably too soon to be speculating too much, it'll be a couple years before they leave. But I'd expect an independent Scotland after this, well over 60% voted to remain. Also sorry to hear your business has taken such a hit already TSC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,337 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will Boris be the next PM now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Will Boris be the next PM now

He's bookies favourite anyway. So that's worrying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

A world where Boris Johnson is bookies favourites for Prime Minister, and Donald Trump presumably as President Of The United States...

I don't know which is worse to be honest..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    A world where Boris Johnson is bookies favourites for Prime Minister, and Donald Trump presumably as President Of The United States...

I don't know which is worse to be honest..
    Just take solace in the fact that the US' demographics make it impossible for Trump to win the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Just take solace in the fact that the US' demographics make it impossible for Trump to win the election.

what ya mean? lot of people in the know seem to reckon hes a dead cert!

Depp wrote: »
    what ya mean? lot of people in the know seem to reckon hes a dead cert!
    US is a diverse nation. And because Trump's campaign has been alienating anyone who isn't a straight, white, Christian male, plus his general lack of popularity in the aftermath of the primaries (he actually came out worse after his response to the Orlando shooting), it only makes me sleep easier knowing that a presidency like his is unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

US is a diverse nation. And because Trump's campaign has been alienating anyone who isn't a straight, white, Christian male, plus his general lack of popularity in the aftermath of the primaries (he actually came out worse after his response to the Orlando shooting), it only makes me sleep easier knowing that a presidency like his is unlikely to happen.

I dunno he seems to be gaining in some areas as people realise how bad Hillary actually is! trumps no angel but shes ten times as dangerous! and they call trump a warmonger! from here on in his campaign is going to be a full on smear campaign and with the dirt thats there on clinton shes a gonner, first time they debate the race is over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looks like the UK is becoming increasingly divided. 1.5 million people have signed a petition calling for a second referendum on the Brexit issue. Doesn't look like there will be much healing on the horizon. The Scots would do well to consider pushing for a second referendum too, but on independence.

• Advertisement

Depp wrote: »
    I dunno he seems to be gaining in some areas as people realise how bad Hillary actually is! trumps no angel but shes ten times as dangerous! and they call trump a warmonger! from here on in his campaign is going to be a full on smear campaign and with the dirt thats there on clinton shes a gonner, first time they debate the race is over!
    10 times worse?

10 times more dangerous than the man who wants to give a nuclear arsenal to those who can't be trusted with it?

10 times a warmonger than a guy who wants to kill the families of terrorists?

10 times more dangerous to the economy than a man who can't be trusted to run his own businesses (Trump himself has been ill prepared on how to handle his campaign in the general)?

10 times worse than a guy whose regressive politics would guarantee to screw over the US for decades to come by implementing more conservative judges to the US Supreme Court?

10 times more distrustful than a guy who's University scammed the poor and deluded into handing over rakes of cash for a programme that offered little in the way of actual value and is currently being sued for it?

Look, Hillary is not a perfect specimen, but I doubt the dirt on her is gonna do much, especially given that it's already out there. As for Trump, there is still a lot of stuff about his past that many people don't know or have forgotten about that's only starting to resurface (like my business example here). It also helps that she's got Obama, Joe Biden, Bill, and possibly Bernie all set to campaign for her once the Convention is done with a month from now. Who's Trump got? He's got some endorsements, but judging from those who endorsed him, they want little to do with him. I'm sorry, but if you think that Trump's insults have as much bearing on the general election as they did in the primaries, then you're gonna be in for a rude awakening, given how much better organised Hillary's campaign is thus far. The stars could not be more aligned for her.

Advertisement