Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

big trump fan I see :D, don't really have a horse in the race but I'd honestly take anyone over someone thats as deep in the pockets of big banking and the saudi royal family as hillary is

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Depp wrote: »
    big trump fan I see :D, don't really have a horse in the race but I'd honestly take anyone over someone thats as deep in the pockets of big banking and the saudi royal family as hillary is

Hillary is TS and the world is saying this to America

64396612.jpg

If only the democrats had felt the Bern!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Plus Hillary Clinton has a possible FBI indictment hanging over her head over the whole email scandal.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Plus Hillary Clinton has a possible FBI indictment hanging over her head over the whole email scandal.

3rd party? won't happen, wouldn't win but still

resizedimage.jpg

If only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

If only the democrats had felt the Bern!
    That's exactly what the Repubs were hoping for. Hillary is basically bulletproof at this point. They've done everything over the past 25 years to discredit her and yet she's still here, stronger than ever. Bernie, however, he's fresh meat as far as national US politics are concerned. You can almost be sure that the right have probably been digging for whatever bones they can find to use if he was to ever become the Dem nominee.

Oh, and that whole douche and turd thing is not really a helpful argument, given how important stuff like the Supreme Court is. I used to think that way myself, but as I've gotten older over the years, I realised that both sides are NOT the same.

Unless it's Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. In which case screw it.
    And all signs seem to pointing to that not happening.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what the Repubs were hoping for. Hillary is basically bulletproof at this point. They've done everything over the past 25 years to discredit her and yet she's still here, stronger than ever. Bernie, however, he's fresh meat as far as national US politics are concerned. You can almost be sure that the right have probably been digging for whatever bones they can find to use if he was to ever become the Dem nominee.

Oh, and that whole douche and turd thing is not really a helpful argument, given how important stuff like the Supreme Court is. I used to think that way myself, but as I've gotten older over the years, I realised that both sides are NOT the same.

Unless it's Fianna Fail and Fine Gael. In which case screw it.

Personally I wouldn't say that it means that both are the same but that both are terrible. Maybe the Republicans would have preferred Bernie (even though he did better against Trump in every single poll) but he would not be terrible he would mean real progressive change could potentially happen but instead you are left with a seemingly corrupt status quo candidate (who at least is a democrat and therefore yes would most likely be good in terms of appointing more liberal people to the supreme court (for example) against someone who is just far too dangerous and divisive a figure for me to even really believe that even at this stage America might elect him. Even the republicans don't really want Trump, they are only supporting him because he would push the republican agenda for the most part and they don't really have too many other choices at this stage.

I'd honestly love a 3rd party candidate to run but for the fact that that might split the anti Trump voters and you don't want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Personally I wouldn't say that it means that both are the same but that both are terrible. Maybe the Republicans would have preferred Bernie (even though he did better against Trump in every single poll) but he would not be terrible he would mean real progressive change could potentially happen but instead you are left with a seemingly corrupt status quo candidate (who at least is a democrat and therefore yes would most likely be good in terms of appointing more liberal people to the supreme court (for example) against someone who is just far too dangerous and divisive a figure for me to even really believe even a this stage that America would elect him. Even the republicans don't really want Trump, they are only supporting him because he would push the republican agenda for the most part and they don't really have too many other choices at this stage.

I'd honestly love a 3rd party candidate to run but for the fact that that might split the anti Trump voters and you don't want that.
    I think it helps that thanks to Bernie being in the race, we're starting to talk more about topics related to his policies, particularly from Hillary. It's not much, but it's a start. I'm just glad that it wasn't Bernie who was the one nominated, both for the reasons I've stated and because it would mean that Michael Bloomberg would have ended up running as a third party, splitting the left vote as you described.

I do wonder if the Libertarians are gonna benefit more from this. They've been on the US news a fair bit, they've got a former two term governor as their nominee, hell, they actually have the chance to being in the debates, but it would be something if as the US continues to lean leftward socially, they would start to grow more as a party, especially given how much of a dumpster fire the Republican party is in its current state. They seem to share many of the same free market policies as they do. In fact, I would imagine if the Repubs don't screw over Trump once they do their convention, the corporate types start to donate more to Gary Johnson's campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It'd be a joke if the FBI let her skate, I mean goofing with classified information on her own private server instead of federal servers, if it was anyone else in her position, the whole damned library would be thrown at them for such a colossal screw up.

This I imagine will rumble for a bit longer, and I wouldn't be surprised if the FBI do press ahead with indicting her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

It'd be a joke if the FBI let her skate, I mean goofing with classified information on her own private server instead of federal servers, if it was anyone else in her position, the whole damned library would be thrown at them for such a colossal screw up.

This I imagine will rumble for a bit longer, and I wouldn't be surprised if the FBI do press ahead with indicting her.

yeah if they let her off it makes a mockery of the whole thing, especially with the most recent hacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sanders would have been much better than Hillary imo who is a turn off to a lot of Sanders supporters. I've heard many say they won't come out and vote for her which will end up assisting Trump.

I still think Clinton wins it but she will win it almost begrudgingly. She has really low approval ratings and her saving grace is that Trump's ratings are worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

As the old saying goes "there is always one" and it's never more true than in betting when one result will go wrong and screw you but looking at the small outlay and potentially big return for the favorites going through in 6 games, perhaps 6 games that people would consider the 6 most predictable I say why not go for it!
    Croatia lost to Portugal, other than that I see the remaining results going the way I had predicted. Ah well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,846 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the super Belgium side may have just arrived

Belgium vs France final

What a show we put up today COYBIG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

PTH2009 wrote: »
    the super Belgium side may have just arrived

Belgium vs France final

What a show we put up today COYBIG

They'll never again have as good a chance to make a final. They proved in qualifying they were better than Wales and Poland look so panicky they won't stop them. Portugal are the very likely semi opposition but it was sad to watch a team with Ronaldo in it(hate him or love him he is on of the goat) play such terrible football.

On the other side you could say Germany just arrived today. They were ruthless! Spain Italy France even England can be made look threatening on that side. But I fancy Germany from that side.

As for today we can have no complaints beaten fair and square. Good start but the body wore tired as the game caught up with them :(

Croatia lost to Portugal, other than that I see the remaining results going the way I had predicted. Ah well!

Poland draw with Swiss? Those prices you had were for 90 minutes betting not who qualifies.

Just so you don't get caught out thinking you were on a winner and then realise when collecting you were wrong. I know I'd be fairly sickened!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Poland draw with Swiss? Those prices you had were for 90 minutes betting not who qualifies.

Just so you don't get caught out thinking you were on a winner and then realise when collecting you were wrong. I know I'd be fairly sickened!
    Nah I had Poland, Wales and Croatia all to qualify. Didn't see the Belgium game and just saw the scoreline now. Really they have a cake-walk to the final. I see France or Germany in the final against them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Brexit from the Euros now. Just saying, Ireland did as well as England this competition :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Be nice to see Iceland beating France too :pac: I think of the teams left, I'd probably like to see Belgium win it the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

That hand-clap celebration at the end was amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,846 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Virtanen wrote: »
    That hand-clap celebration at the end was amazing

Very wildling, vikingesqie type celebration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Had no plans to make much of my 30th birthday but Ricky Gervais (in the guise of David Brent) is playing the Hammersmith Apollo the day of. I'm the Office's biggest fan so I call that faith.

It sold out in two minutes but I successful managed to bag myself two tickets this morn to see a one Mr D. Brent in concert :D El vino will flow.

Can not wait for this and the accompanying movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Had no plans to make much of my 30th birthday but Ricky Gervais (in the guise of David Brent) is playing the Hammersmith Apollo the day of. I'm the Office's biggest fan so I call that faith.

It sold out in two minutes but I successful managed to bag myself two tickets this morn to see a one Mr D. Brent in concert :D El vino will flow.

Can not wait for this and the accompanying movie.

Class, he's seriously funny. You'll have a great birthday attending that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Caroline Aherne dead, ****ing hell, that hit me hard today, Royale Family in its pomp arguably the finest working class comedy in my lifetime, and yeah that is from someone who rates early Pheonix Nights, Early Doors and Fifteen Storeys High very highly. 52, ****ing hell.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

When you think of the concept of The Royal Family, the writing that was involved in it shows just how talent Ahern was.

99% of the show took place with Jim, Barb, Denise, Dave and Antony sitting in their seats in living room knocking off each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Got a shock when I heard it. Cancer is nothing but a cnut guys. She was brilliant as Denise in The Royale Family, she was a genius too, given she was part creator of that show

Anybody think the new Munster away jersey is just like the Leinster home one? Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,335 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

ShagNastii wrote: »
    When you think of the concept of The Royal Family, the writing that was involved in it shows just how talent Ahern was.

99% of the show took place with Jim, Barb, Denise, Dave and Antony sitting in their seats in living room knocking off each other.

Inspiration for Googlebox

Wow this year taking loads of talent already :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Anybody think the new Munster away jersey is just like the Leinster home one? Weird.

Ah no they've just plead their allegiance to house Baratheon

Chris Evans gone from Top Gear

Wales out but what a performance from them in the whole tournament

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Wales out but what a performance from them in the whole tournament

Ya. Think the fans had a ball anyway and that's what it is all about really.

I thought Ronaldo was like a salmon leaping in the air for his goal. Unreal

Advertisement