Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

gimmick wrote: »
    It was a terrible terrible tournament with one of the worst finals in living memory. Which is saying a lot given international finals are generally utter crap.
    Enjoyed it a lot but I'm used to the dull standards of top level modern football these days sadly. Pretty much 80% of all big PL games are letdowns. At least the Euros had significant shocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,846 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cristanio Ronaldo is a noted non drinker but I have a sneaky feeling be prob had a few beers to celebrate the massive achievement of winning the euros. Love him or hate him he's a legend of a player

England rugby legend Jonny Wilkinson didn't drink til after England world cup final defeat in 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The thread over in Soccer, Messi or Ronaldo, I find it silly, don't understand why people just can't appreciate both once in a lifetime players just for their brilliance..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The thread over in Soccer, Messi or Ronaldo, I find it silly, don't understand why people just can't appreciate both once in a lifetime players just for their brilliance..

At least ronaldo pays his taxes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Being stuck with Irish Netflix is deeply saddening :(

Damn Netflix and their clampdown.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Or Roppongi Vice! I'm in Spain at the moment so give me a few days and I could be your Rocky Romero!

Only seeing this now but I am back in Taiwan already, great place Tokyo though. Did some mad stuff for instance I had a FB status up there a day or so ago about the previous three days saying I had been to a maid cafe (there are loads of them but this one was called Home Cafe and is apparently the most famous one) bought a Super Nintendo (Chalmers) in Akihabara, hit up the robot restaurant for their evening show and Sushi bento box then headed to Disneyland!

just setting this bad boy up at home now! :D
    d8SEsqV.jpg

Street Fighter 2 on SNES is possibly the pinnacle of video games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Italia 90 is a bad example for anything football related. Widely remembered as the worst tournament ever played.

Ah yeah, but Bonner saved a penalty so Ireland will always have at least one fond memory of it :pac:

As for this years Euros, I went into it pretty excited to watch the matches, but then by the time the knockout phases had started that had faded and I just wasn't really bothered about watching the games, so I just watched highlight videos online. Did catch the last 20 minutes of normal time for the final, as well as extra time though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Street Fighter 2 on SNES is possibly the pinnacle of video games.

unfortunately the damn thing is coming in with the center of the screen blank and the two sides showing 1/2 the image each at the moment :mad:

Hopefully it's just something I can adjust with the TV menu cos at least the image is coming through perfectly onto the screen otherwise. Although that may take some time what with my TVs menus being in Chinese :confused:

Worst case at least it wasn't super expensive (probably the equivalent of 80 euro for the console, 2 controllers and Super Mario World, Street Fighter 2 and Super Bomberman 2.

Loved Bomberman as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Being stuck with Irish Netflix is deeply saddening :(

Damn Netflix and their clampdown.

I'm using Unblock US, and can access every other netflix apart from the American one. The Canadian one is quite good

Id rate the Canadian as only slightly better than Irish tbh.

The lack of Frasier, despite me having seen the entire series in full numerous times, and the ESPN 30 for 30s is killing me.

That and the choice is just so much better with US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Loved Bomberman as well.

needs to be on Sega Saturn though, so you can do 10 player.

The most powerful TV scene you remember and never get sick off ???

I will always remember the scene from Scrubs season 3 (titled my screw up) in which the funeral of Ben (brenden Fraser's character, he was Dr coxs best friend) is taking place, bacisally it's a mind boggling but very clever the way the episode is done

Powerful acting, great soundtrack, one of the saddest TV moments of all time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Loved that scene too, heartbreaking.

I've a feeling the Battle of the Bastards from Game of Thrones will long stay in my mind. Especially considering Kit Harrington was really there with horses pelting at him (no CGI). A true masterpiece

The second last episode of The Shield.

Ill spoiler it for those who may not have watched The Shield start to finish
    Vics confession

I must have watched it 10 times easy. First time with my jaw on the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The second last episode of The Shield.

Ill spoiler it for those who may not have watched The Shield start to finish
    Vics confession

I must have watched it 10 times easy. First time with my jaw on the floor.

People always seem to shy away from saying it but Shield is the best series ever imo. Even Sopranos takes a while to get going. Shield starts off immediately with a bang and never drops quality. Best ending I've seen in any show too.

It absolutely kills me when people ask do I mean that utterly **** comic book ****e "Agents of the Shield".

Ya thats a strange one alright. When I mention it with my other favourites (Wire, Treme, Thrones) I get a strange reaction every time.

The tension and drama in The Shield is unreal. Hard to watch at times it gets so tense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

PTH2009 wrote: »

I will always remember the scene from Scrubs season 3 (titled my screw up) in which the funeral of Ben (brenden Fraser's character, he was Dr coxs best friend) is taking place, bacisally it's a mind boggling but very clever the way the episode is done

Tony Soprano sitting in the Diner after clicking on the jukebox to play journey!!! /Thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ya thats a strange one alright. When I mention it with my other favourites (Wire, Treme, Thrones) I get a strange reaction every time.

The tension and drama in The Shield is unreal. Hard to watch at times it gets so tense.

I second all those positive sentiments towards The Shield. Its just the best show ever made. Every character has a purpose and is cast perfectly. It never had a bad episode and every character has an agenda and major human flaws which are portrayed wonderfully from season 1 until the end. Great must see TV, and its just above The Sopranos and The Wire for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The second last (I think, possibly the last, I was binge watching) episode of the second series of Gomorrah has probably the toughest scene to watch I've seen. Great show, as good as The Shield or The Sopranos IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

PTH2009 wrote: »

You've got the right show but the wrong scene

The time Dr Cox loses 3 patients in 1 day because the woman who donated organs to them had rabbies, and him going mad with the defibrillator trying to save the final patient with The Fray's How To Save A Life playing

Any time I hear that song I tear up thinking of Dr Cox

"The second you start blaming yourself for people's deaths, there's no coming back"
    "You're right"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

30 dead, 100 injured in Nice as a truck plots into a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations :( reports of a hostage situation and gunmen.

I will never understand how people can do such things, "religious war" or not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,336 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lord TSC wrote: »
    30 dead, 100 injured in Nice as a truck plots into a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations :( reports of a hostage situation and gunmen.

I will never understand how people can do such things, "religious war" or not...

France really getting a rough time of it

Could be up to around 50 dead now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    France really getting a rough time of it

Could be up to around 50 dead now

:(

Lord TSC wrote: »

Really sad, pure evil by the perpetrators

Children lying death on the ground terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Absolutely horrific. Death toll is up to 84 now. It's so sad. It keeps happening to France as well. He was a French Tunisian whose wife left him. Smashed the barriers and had guns on him as well. Mortifying stuff. Good to hear the French President's call to remain strong.

Horrific situation, but I wonder are the media too quick to call it terrorism. Now, I know it was by the words definition, but had the perpetrator been a white guy I wonder what it would have been called?

Whichever it is is only dealing in semantics though. The prick who did this had far too easy a way out. Pity he wont get to suffer for decades for the pain he has caused to thousands of people.

Went to an excellent play last night called 'My Real Life'

It's about a Wexford man who is suffering from MS and is killing himself by overdosing on sleeping pills.The play is him sitting down recording a tape to his best friend going through the highs and lows of his life while he is waiting for the overdose to kill him

The sole actor in the play is don wycherley (fr Cyril Mcduff, guy from bachelor's Walk,). Very underrated actor and was excellent in the play

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Turkish military is currently orchestrating a coup.

Fascinating to read about. Apparently the military have a constitutional duty to stop their presidents getting too religious, and carry out coups every ten to fifteen years.

Advertisement