Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I was in Galway last week and spotted 2 guys walking round Ayre Square with battery packs in side bags, powering their phones, while playing Pokémon.

A buddy of mine is obsessed with it too. He very nearly got mown down with a bus that same day playing it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

gerrybbadd wrote: »

A buddy of mine is obsessed with it too. He very nearly got mown down with a bus that same day playing it

That's natural selection at work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Can someone please explain Pokémon Go to me, It's all I've heard about the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Basically, this

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's natural selection at work there.

Ha, exactly what I said too... And the Darwin award goes to...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Can someone please explain Pokémon Go to me, It's all I've heard about the last few weeks.

(Presuming you know nothing...)

Pokemon is a massive cartoon and game With a massive following, especially in the east, revolving round the collection of hundreds of "pocket monsters" who you catch, train and fight against each other. Up till now, it's been confined, game wise, to Nintendo handhelds.

They released a mobile version that lets you collect Pokemon, but they use the Gps system on your phone, and certain Pokemon are only available in certain areas. So if you want to collect them, you have to venture outside and walk round collecting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I was in Galway last week and spotted 2 guys walking round Ayre Square with battery packs in side bags, powering their phones, while playing Pokémon.

You'd need a charge pack or something for any sort of real play time

I've an iPhone 5s and it goes about 2.5 hours, they're a necessity really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,846 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

flicked on Sky Sports and watched an Indian sport called Kabaddi

i had no idea what it is and what was going on

I imagine its like when the rest of the world sees hurling for the first time :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

PTH2009 wrote: »
    flicked on Sky Sports and watched an Indian sport called Kabaddi

i had no idea what it is and what was going on

I imagine its like when the rest of the world sees hurling for the first time :D:D:D:D

Did the same a couple of months ago absolutely insane game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Saw it as well a few weeks ago in the pub, we couldn't make out what was going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Is that the mix of tag red rover and rugby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Lord TSC wrote: »
    (Presuming you know nothing...) Pokemon is a massive cartoon and game With a massive following, especially in the east, revolving round the collection of hundreds of "pocket monsters" who you catch, train and fight against each other. Up till now, it's been confined, game wise, to Nintendo handhelds. They released a mobile version that lets you collect Pokemon, but they use the Gps system on your phone, and certain Pokemon are only available in certain areas. So if you want to collect them, you have to venture outside and walk round collecting them.

Just to add on to Lord TSC; it's straddling that line, more like a walking app. It's a simple game of physically walking to places marked on your GPS and collecting items to level up, when you're at level 5 you can go to bigger markers and capture bigger pokemon. When a pokemon appears the screen turns into first person view (your camera opens and via AR, it appears somewhere on the street) and you swipe up to throw balls at it to catch it. It's not a deep game, but it's steeped in a wave of nostalgia, a communal fun experience to explore your town, and is free.
    It has some amazing stats, like how now Nintendo is worth more than Sony, but it has definitely peaked (as WWE have mentioned it, you know it's over the hill, lol) never mind the glitches, it doesn't have much to keep you coming back after a while, - Pokemon Go is losing millions of players each week.

It's just a bit of fun, I find myself walking home more often and taking circuitous routes :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Channel 4 right now is interesting to say the least

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Channel 4 right now is interesting to say the least

7c0841d362cff23b928eb7c7067ca4b7f95f53f5e10839b903d54d2b2abf27c7.jpg

Dundalk have ensured Ireland will be represented in the group stages of the Champions League or, at the least, the Europa League by hammering CL regulars BATE Borisov 3-0 tonight. Sensational

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/760562521338179588

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/760571001612673024

https://twitter.com/eirSport/status/760578408761950208

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

That's brilliant!

I can't watch the videos because I'm up north

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I honestly can't believe it. An unforgettable result and one I didn't see coming in the slightest. To think Dundalk are guaranteed to be in the same competition or better than Manchester United is surreal. Such a huge turnaround in only 4 years. No amount of Tallaght rainfall could dampen my spirits tonight.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

To think as well that they are now guaranteed a sum of around 7m euro! that will be Fn massive for a LOI club. To put that in context the winners of the Airtricity League Premier get 110k euro!

potential opponents in the next round include: Viktoria Plzen, Apoel Nicosia, Dinamo Zagreb, Ludogorets Razgrad, Olympiakos/Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Trencin/Legia Warsaw, Astra Giurgiu/FC Copenhagen or Partizan Tirana/Red Bull Salzburg and quite notably Celtic / Astana.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I hugely object to the thread title change.

I do not understand why people are saying this is great for LOI. It isn't. ts great for Dundalk and only Dundalk. Same as if City beat Genk tmr, it wont be great for anyone else but ourselves.

Personally I felt sick when they progressed last night. The money they will get from this ensures they will dominate for years to come, leaving the rest of us floundering and begging for scraps.

If supporters of other clubs are happy with that, fair play to you, you deserve to be supporting the nothing clubs you do. As a CCFC fan I want to win things. That is never going to happen now.

1. People said the same about Shamrock Rovers in 2011 and they've dominated nothing.

2. It's not like Dundalk have 7million right this minute and will buy in a superstar. Nothing stopping Cork City or someone else winning the league and doing the same next year.

3. Dundalk have been dominating anyway. On the way to three in a row!

I'm delighted for them. I'm delighted for Stephen Kenny. I'm delighted that everyone who has sh*t on OUR league are gonna be made to take notice of this result. Also, Dundalk have nothing to fear in the play off, if they can destroy BATE, they can beat Celtic/Astana/Apoel/Red Bull IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Well I'll be rooting for Cork tomorrow night for two reasons:

1. If we have two Irish teams in the Europa League the profile of the league would surely rise. Shams alone could be written off as a fluke but two in one year when it's not too long since Shams did it cannot.

2. More importantly, Dundalk are going to have a packed schedule and a stretched squad now with the 8 extra midweek games. Cork failing to qualify potentially gives ye a big advantage for the rest of the season which I would rather we avoid.

1. People said the same about Shamrock Rovers in 2011 and they've dominated nothing.

2. It's not like Dundalk have 7million right this minute and will buy in a superstar. Nothing stopping Cork City or someone else winning the league and doing the same next year.

3. Dundalk have been dominating anyway. On the way to three in a row!

1. Dundalk are a completely different animal to the amateur set up at Shams at the time. They are miles ahead off the pitch than what they were then, so they will be far wiser in how they use this money.

2. Aside from the fact that Dundalk have a better team than CCFC that is.

3. Be that as it may, but with this financial boost we will eb talking about them doing 10 in a row or more, including a few doubles along the way with more european progression making their bank balance huger and huger while the rest are stagnant or worse.

I'm delighted for them. I'm delighted for Stephen Kenny. I'm delighted that everyone who has sh*t on OUR league are gonna be made to take notice of this result. Also, Dundalk have nothing to fear in the play off, if they can destroy BATE, they can beat Celtic/Astana/Apoel/Red Bull IMO.

Honestly couldn't give a flying fúck about Stephen Kenny or Dundalk. If you think that people are all of a sudden going to start respecting LOI, you are wrong. They might patronisingly say "isn't it great that an Irish club did that, I didn't watch it though" for a while, but come March when the 2017 season is starting again no one apart from LOI fans will remember this.

Cork in a chip on the shoulder shocker. Great, you don't give a f*ck about Stephen Kenny. I do and so do many other good football people in this country. He's respected as a manager, as a person and as an Irish football representative. Hats off to him and his staff. It up to the rest of us to get our houses in order and challenge the status quo. It sure beats moaning and resigning yourself to a fate of doom.

As for non-LOI fans, if this entices any number no matter how small then it's a good thing. For Paddy Premiership who'll never give a rats either way, nights like last nights are wasted on them anyway.

Cork in a chip on the shoulder shocker. Great, you don't give a f*ck about Stephen Kenny. I do and so do many other good football people in this country. He's respected as a manager, as a person and as an Irish football representative. Hats off to him and his staff. It up to the rest of us to get our houses in order and challenge the status quo. It sure beats moaning and resigning yourself to a fate of doom.

As for non-LOI fans, if this entices any number no matter how small then it's a good thing. For Paddy Premiership who'll never give a rats either way, nights like last nights are wasted on them anyway.

Not sure why I have to be delighted for them? I support my own team and only my own team. There seesm to be this notion that LOI fans should support the other LOI clubs in Europe. I do not understand this. They are our rivals. I do not wish your rivals well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Yeah, as much as Shels were never gonna be competing with Dundalk anyway, I can't see how it's going to benefit anyone other than Dundalk.

As much as some like to go on about how the LOI is one big family, for most it isn't that way.

The Player power/connacht double dis year ???

Mayo for Sam and Galway for Liam

2 squads who got rid of there managers last year and have improved since TBH.

Will all the haters of these player revolts be proven wrong come the end of September ???

As a Waterford man going up more in hope 2morrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

PTH2009 wrote: »
    2 squads who got rid of there managers last year and have improved since TBH.
    Galway have regressed for sure. Their forward line is very out of form and key names like Flynn and the Mannions haven't turned up yet this season which is a massive worry next week.

Hopefully Waterford give KK a proper go. Heading up for it as a neutral myself but fear another goalfest from the blaa fb line.

Hopefully Waterford give KK a proper go. Heading up for it as a neutral myself but fear another goalfest from the blaa fb line.

The famous sweeper system may be ended 2morrow if such a hammering repeats itself. Hoping we have a plan up out seleve and play like we're demented and leave nothing out on the field.

If we fail to show up and kilkenny do than its not going to be pretty for us and could the mother of all beatings. Hopefully I'll be smiling coming out of croker 2morrow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Oh Waterford.....you fair blew that chance today. I don't think they'll get that opportunity twice now.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Oh Waterford.....you fair blew that chance today. I don't think they'll get that opportunity twice now.

Slightly agree we missed the boat but the same was said about Dublin in 2013 when they drew with Kilkenny in the Leinster Semi but they went on to win the replay

Advertisement