Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Now that is what you call a bargain, I think the Sopranos boxset in stores has been the same price now for years. Think I may hit up some markets or car boot sales this weekend haha.

Should definitely go check out CEX, I'm not sure if they do boxsets but the DVDs are extremely cheap and they stock a lot of foreign films and I think they often have some wrestling dvds too.
    I have found that ever since CEX have been doing better than GameStop, there prices have gone up dramatically. Golden Discs always has boxsets for cheap though, like was trying to grab my Mam season 9 of Supernatural. It was 22 euro secondhand in CEX so went over to Golden Discs to see how much it was new. 15 euro. Also, was looking for Dark Souls 3 a while back and it was 60 quid used in CEX and 55 new in Smyths, with a downloadable copy of Dark Souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I hope to f**k that Golden Discs can stay open. Love picking up impluse DVDs or music. They sell vinyl now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Ageyev wrote: »
    I hope to f**k that Golden Discs can stay open. Love picking up impluse DVDs or music. They sell vinyl now
    I sure as hell hope the move closer to where I live and fill the void that HMV use to once they go. I need my physical movies.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Loughc wrote: »
    I've never seen it. Been recommended it by so many people. I might even start watching it this weekend :)
    I've never seen one episode of this show. Is it still worth checking out? Does it hold up well a decade or so on?

Personally, I adore the show, by far my favorite of all time so I'll give it a biased "Yes, watch it asap!" :P

I'll stress...it can be extremely "Yeah Democrats!" given the show is about a democratic government in America trying to get **** done. While they don't go strictly with the idea that "All Republicans are mustache-twirling villains", it can be quite left-wing; it's overambition that defines it's antagonists, rather than politican leanings, but is still mostly "Democrat=good, Rebulican=bad". If that doesn't line up with your views, then it might not cater to you. Also, Sorkin's writing can be extremely divisive; it's fast, witty (sometimes unrealistic) one-liners that expects you to keep up, which can be tricky with the fact it also takes for granted sometimes that you should know American political lingo.

But personally, I adore it, from the acting (Sheen is brilliant as President Bartlet; was only meant to have a recurring role of 4 or 5 episodes a season, but was so great in the closing scenes of the pilot, they immediately bumped him up to full time star. Meanwhile the rest of the ensemble are brilliant together, with great chemistry), the characters (loads of development), the direction, the writing. Some great story arcs and some great stand alone episodes.

Sorkin wrote Seasons 1-4 which is agreed to be the best seasons. He left at the end of Season 4 on a cliffhanger (as did one of the main characters who was hastily written off), and Season 5 suffers. Personally, I enjoyed Seasons 6 and 7 since the writers stopped writing West Wing fan-fiction and brought in some new characters and shifted focus from the White House to the Election Campaign. It means older characters get reduced screen time, but it's pretty relevant today with the fact the election is happening in real life. It taught me about how the American Election system worked, and that and the general political system hasn't changed.

It's one of those shows that you can probably watch the first few episodes and if you enjoy them or dislike them, know it's 7 seasons of the same. The pilot has more focus on Rob Lowe's character (who was meant to be THE lead before it shifted to an ensemble), so I'd say if you watch the first, watch the second as well to get how much more involved Sheen becomes immediately.

Basically, it's a more ideological, more optimistic version of House of Cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

A successful day yesterday with my Leaving Cert results, got 35 points more than what I needed so it should be all good. I'm deferring until next year but it's still great to know that I more than likely have it in the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

A successful day yesterday with my Leaving Cert results, got 35 points more than what I needed so it should be all good. I'm deferring until next year but it's still great to know that I more than likely have it in the bag.

Congrats - always nice to have a Safety net, points wise.

Thread name change proposal * Uriah Beautiful Self-denial kills it in Leaving Cert*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,334 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I saw a few box sets in Dealz and Heatons cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Poor Dundalk, they were so unlucky last night. Penalty was never a peno to begin with and the conceded a late goal chasing the game. Such a pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,846 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

invested in Tp link power plugs today and boy have they imrpoved my connection

My ps4 and PC (non wifi had to use a dongle) were horrendus on wifi and have improved a lot since i started using the power plugs. My wifi works off the downstairs UPC horizon box

I knw have Eternet connections for both my PS4 and PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

PTH2009 wrote: »
    invested in Tp link power plugs today and boy have they imrpoved my connection

My ps4 and PC (non wifi had to use a dongle) were horrendus on wifi and have improved a lot since i started using the power plugs. My wifi works off the downstairs UPC horizon box

I knw have Eternet connections for both my PS4 and PC

Did the same here before christmas, them plugs just make your connection so much more stable

For the sake of ~€30 they save so much hassle

Wifi on the ps4 is terrible, wired is the only way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,334 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Well Done

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

beakerjoe wrote:
    Poor Dundalk, they were so unlucky last night. Penalty was never a peno to begin with and the conceded a late goal chasing the game. Such a pity

I was at the game, very harsh penalty. How did the stadium look on tv? For some reason they only sold the bottom and top tiers and left the middle empty, and put most people on the camera side which just seemed like strange decision making to me. Imagine it made it look a lot emptier than it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭kksaints

I was at the game, very harsh penalty. How did the stadium look on tv? For some reason they only sold the bottom and top tiers and left the middle empty, and put most people on the camera side which just seemed like strange decision making to me. Imagine it made it look a lot emptier than it was.

Looked fine to me apart from the area near the Legia fans that were empty. The second goal has really damaged any chance Dundalk had in the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The replay made it look more harsh, it was accidental and he had no intention of hitting the ball with his arm and he had no chance of getting out of the way either in time as the ball was travelling so fast. Crushing but they arent out yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Just need somewhere to humblebrag my latest bargain swag.

Myself and the missus moved in together recently. We're not huge TV viewers so decided we'd not to bother subscribing to any TV services and not to go near the cinema unless there's something unmissable. The plan is to "boxset" of an evening.

I was gifted The Wire and GOT on Blu-Ray a few years back so that was/is first port of call.

Been hawking for stuff since and I've had great success. Was at the Wexford market weeks ago and saw The West Wing S1-S7. €3 per boxset so I haggled the lot for €18. I also got Breaking Bad S1-S5 in Oxfam for €10.

Now we have the mother load. Was at the Dundrum Car boot and at one of the many stalls with boxes full of DVDs I noticed The Sopranos full set.

Shag "How much for your DVDs?"

Lady "€1 each.......feck it €0.50 each?"

Shag "(shock) Even the boxsets?"

Lady "Yeah sure go on even the boxsets".

I sheepishly lifted the six cases and handed €3. She half jokingly said "thanks for robbing me".

Haven't worked out the bang for buck but I know a haul of The West Wing/Breaking Bad and The Sopranos for €30 is phenomenal.

Have only seen a handful of episodes of each but know quality is guaranteed. Should be finished by about 2020 :)

The Sopranos is worth €30
    Alone! Question tho? Why not spend a few bob on android box and watch everything for free? New and old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

MrMac84 wrote: »
    The Sopranos is worth €30
    Alone! Question tho? Why not spend a few bob on android box and watch everything for free? New and old?

I glady paid 60 for the sopranos box set and still think it was well worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Any of you guys watch Stranger Things? It's unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Omackeral wrote: »
    Any of you guys watch Stranger Things? It's unreal.

Best show this year for me.

As soon as my gf turns the lights off at bed time I tell her there's a Demogorgan outside the window and make a screeching sound. Every single night.

I asked a few weeks back was anybody watching it and got no answer!

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I asked a few weeks back was anybody watching it and got no answer!

Stop being a hipster Gerry!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Stop being a hipster Gerry!

Hey now...

9f028175872915923359efab24f2eceae3e4e1358c9ec086fa9bbbbe35a79e8f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

69 points from my first five players in FF.

Had routledge,coutinho,Pedro and baines in later games today. They totalled 7 pts. Couple that with heaton (9) and gray(10) on the bench and I'm not sure how to feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I've 61 points from 10 players myself, waiting on Defoe who should score against Middlesborough tomorrow.

I've 61 points from 10 players myself, waiting on Defoe who should score against Middlesborough tomorrow.

Lol I'm direct opposite with friend and downing of boro left

I'm on 77 points. All out. No hits

I'm on 77 points. All out. No hits

Nice!
    Will be a high average though won't it?
    I mean with aguero and IBRA bagging a brace each.

Also @AG west ham actually play Bournemouth. Its Sunderland that play 'boro. So I hope payet fills his boots for ya.

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Nice!
    Will be a high average though won't it?
    I mean with aguero and IBRA bagging a brace each.

Also @AG west ham actually play Bournemouth. Its Sunderland that play 'boro. So I hope payet fills his boots for ya.

60 last week so I'm happy out with the start

60 last week so I'm happy out with the start

Yeah only had the 40 last week. So if I crack 80 tomorrow I'm back to a lil above average. A lot better than last year I started off 39,27,25 pts in my first 3gwks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've 59 pts from 10 players but I will have Capoue come in off the bench so it's really 68 pts.

I'm raging though that I've Heaton (10 pts) and Morgan (6 pts) who won't come in. Can't believe neither Liverpool nor Arsenal scored!

Advertisement