Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I got a €5 free bet from Paddy Power so was thinking about putting it on some of the games tonight and I was wonderinf if I could get some suggestions from ye lads, here's what I have so far:
    €5 Stake
    Roma to beat Crotone - 1/7
    Juventus to beat Cagliari - 1/5
    Napoli to beat Genoa - 8/11
    Inter to beat Empoli - Evens
    Returns: €23.69.

What do ye think of those games? I was thinking off adding some cup games too. Was thinking Southampton vs Palace over 1.5 goals and West Ham to score first against Accrington Stanley, any other suggestions?
    2e3422ff1e4310dee1c2c5d9c6b08469.png

Sorry if this is taking over the thread a bit, didn't get a reply over on Football Betting and I thought the people here would be fairly knowledgable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Sorry if this is taking over the thread a bit, didn't get a reply over on Football Betting and I thought the people here would be fairly knowledgable.
    Not sure how you figured the people that frequent a pro wrestling board would be knowledgable about low tier football accumulator betting :confused:

Tinie wrote: »
    Not sure how you figured the people that frequent a pro wrestling board would be knowledgable about low tier football accumulator betting :confused:
    TSC is a Soccer mod, BH was a Soccer mod. Last time I posted about betting here I got responses from about 8 different users too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

TSC is a Soccer mod, BH was a Soccer mod. Last time I posted about betting here I got responses from about 8 different users too.

The Italian games are all logical and it would be a surprise if all of those games didn't go the way your predicting but then again I suppose that is why a multi game accumulator doesn't get you a bigger payout and thus you wanna make the extra bets.

The two extra ones you've suggested (West Ham / Palace games) again make perfect sense although I would be less likely to add in the the Palace one. Can't really sum up why as it is probably jst as likely as the other results but the more you add to these accumulators the more likely one will screw you and that just seems like the one that would with a sh!tty 1-0 type result (not that I expect that.) Considering they have just lost 3 in a row I would be as likely to consider the Utd one a lock in the cup as I think Mourinho will be desperate to stop the rot and avoid a loss to Northampton.

That said if your confident in your bets then go for em as someone like myself is never going to encourage someone to gamble and go for certain games as there is always one in an accumulator that Fs you but all your suggestions make perfect sense and if there wasn't money on the line i'd be saying i'd be surprised if they didn't happen.

The Italian games are all logical and it would be a surprise if all of those games didn't go the way your predicting but then again I suppose that is why a multi game accumulator doesn't get you a bigger payout and thus you wanna make the extra bets.

The two extra ones you've suggested (West Ham / Palace games) again make perfect sense although I would be less likely to add in the the Palace one. Can't really sum up why as it is probably jst as likely as the other results but the more you add to these accumulators the more likely one will screw you and that just seems like the one that would with a sh!tty 1-0 type result (not that I expect that.) Considering they have just lost 3 in a row I would be as likely to consider the Utd one a lock in the cup as I think Mourinho will be desperate to stop the rot and avoid a loss to Northampton.

That said if your confident in your bets then go for em as someone like myself is never going to encourage someone to gamble and go for certain games as there is always one in an accumulator that Fs you but all your suggestions make perfect sense and if there wasn't money on the line i'd be saying i'd be surprised if they didn't happen.
    Should I just go for United to win? Thanks very much for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Should I just go for United to win? Thanks very much for the advice.

United are a team void of confidence and against a team who will be up for the occasion. Dont get me wrong, United should breeze by them but stranger things have happened and its no sure thing.

Spurs would be my lock of the week though

248482.jpg

beakerjoe wrote: »
    United are a team void of confidence and against a team who will be up for the occasion. Dont get me wrong, United should breeze by them but stranger things have happened and its no sure thing.

248482.jpg

I was thinking that about Spurs but it for some reason just has the sound of a shock ive seen happen before. That said I personally think both teams will breeze through and would maybe put money on that but maybe not tell someone else to so as not to be blamed. :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The issue with accumulators is the more you add, the more likely things go ass-ways for you. It depends what you want out of the free bet though. If you want a bet where if (when :P) it goes south because a big team screws up, you don't really lament the lost bet, then accumulators can be very fun.

If you want the best chance of increasing your money though, I generally found that a bet on one result, and then take that money on to another bet and build up slower, is a safer thing.

"safer" as in "you're still going to lose it all eventually" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

beakerjoe wrote: »

248482.jpg

"When your right 52% of the time your wrong 48% of the time".

Free bets never include stake back that's why so many people use them on speculative acccums. I'd much prefer picking one first goalscorer at about 7/1 or 8/1 and looking at a decent return that way rather than waiting for 8 teams to click.
    Fwiw I think united are a certainty as Jose will field a very strong team tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I got a €5 free bet from Paddy Power so was thinking about putting it on some of the games tonight and I was wonderinf if I could get some suggestions from ye lads, here's what I have so far:
    €5 Stake
    Roma to beat Crotone - 1/7
    Juventus to beat Cagliari - 1/5
    Napoli to beat Genoa - 8/11
    Inter to beat Empoli - Evens
    Returns: €23.69.

What do ye think of those games? I was thinking off adding some cup games too. Was thinking Southampton vs Palace over 1.5 goals and West Ham to score first against Accrington Stanley, any other suggestions?
    2e3422ff1e4310dee1c2c5d9c6b08469.png

For a free fiver stick it on every team to score in the 8 cup games. 100/1 is worth a punt for the crack

• Advertisement

Great open letter from Stan Collymore to Jack Grealish - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp4jjp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Great open letter from Stan Collymore to Jack Grealish - http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sp4jjp

A lot of sense there

A bit sad that United fans are singing this so many years later
    https://twitter.com/MufcSongs/status/778873902604967936

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

He's a pundit these days, so still a handy target. ;) Plus it's a fun tune. :D

Did you put any bets on in the end AG?

Collymore - you question the type of person he is / was especially in relation to his actions in the past but the lad does love Villa and those are truthful words. The reference to Lee Hendrie / Gareth Barry is esp true IMO. Barry was always a consummate pro and deserved all the success (just had his 600th premier appearance) he got.

Running another half marathon in the morning myself and once again have done literally zero training for it. Not looking forward to it esp the big uphill bits !

Did you put any bets on in the end AG?

Collymore - you question the type of person he is / was especially in relation to his actions in the past but the lad does love Villa and those are truthful words. The reference to Lee Hendrie / Gareth Barry is esp true IMO. Barry was always a consummate pro and deserved all the success (just had his 600th premier appearance) he got.

Running another half marathon in the morning myself and once again have done literally zero training for it. Not looking forward to it esp the big uphill bits !
    Yeah I placed this on Wednesday and got 5/6 right with Napoli's draw with Genoa losing it for me.
    Had this placed since the start of the week also but I cashed out (at a loss) because it wasn't going to win. Everton's loss to Bournemouth lost it for me and I had one more game after that which was Arsenal and Chelsea where I had backed both to score

Best of luck with the half-marathon tomorrow! The most I've ever done like that would be the 6-Mile in the Great Limerick which I did 3 years in a row so fair play to you for doing something like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Turning another year older tomorrow, going out to get hammered tonight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Watched the match earlier and was like "Huh, maybe I was wrong about Rooney being important".

Chelsea 2-0 against Arsenal..

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Chelsea 2-0 against Arsenal..

Two nil down, you mean! :eek:

• Advertisement

An File wrote: »
    Two nil down, you mean! :eek:

Just spotted the mistake :pac:

Yeah I placed this on Wednesday and got 5/6 right with Napoli's draw with Genoa losing it for me.
    Had this placed since the start of the week also but I cashed out (at a loss) because it wasn't going to win. Everton's loss to Bournemouth lost it for me and I had one more game after that which was Arsenal and Chelsea where I had backed both to score

Best of luck with the half-marathon tomorrow! The most I've ever done like that would be the 6-Mile in the Great Limerick which I did 3 years in a row so fair play to you for doing something like that!

Yeah that's the problem with those accumulators 1 off day for someone like Higuain for example and you might be screwed esp if your not fully up on your Italian football (like me at the moment) and Genoa have a good team again.

Fn wrecked after the 21k, twas pretty much all up and downhill (majority up hill tbh at this distance, leveled out on the full marathon more) , talk now of doing one when we're back in Ireland for my brothers wedding (might even be the same on in Limerick you mentioned), at least there is more flat terrain and I won't be sweating buckets back home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Happy birthday Lithium!!! Maybe we could get him a shout out on the thread title, I've no idea what the current one means

Yeah that's the problem with those accumulators 1 off day for someone like Higuain for example and you might be screwed esp if your not fully up on your Italian football (like me at the moment) and Genoa have a good team again.

Fn wrecked after the 21k, twas pretty much all up and downhill (majority up hill tbh at this distance, leveled out on the full marathon more) , talk now of doing one when we're back in Ireland for my brothers wedding (might even be the same on in Limerick you mentioned), at least there is more flat terrain and I won't be sweating buckets back home.
    I think I'll either do smaller accumulators or just single games in the future.

Congrats on the 21K, it's some achievement! Running on roads/Astro/courts absolutely kills my shins and calves.

Cheers AG
    Omackeral wrote: »
    Happy birthday Lithium!!! Maybe we could get him a shout out on the thread title, I've no idea what the current one means

It means shaddupyaface... aka thread title changed cheers for the reminder.

Happy Birthday Lithium

Another year older, let's see about the another year wiser part :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Happy birthdays Lithium and Walt.

West ham have been shocking this season thus far. If bilic doesn't get results he'll be the first manager sacked!

@BH I'm doing the 10k in limerick next may bank holiday weekend, that's the big running weekend here(lots of categories right up to full marathon). Did it this year and it was the most fun I've had doing a run in years. Crowd was enormous and all shapes and sizes or abilities welcomed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,333 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Turning another year older tomorrow, going out to get hammered tonight :D

Happy Birthday

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday

• Advertisement

Happy birthday to Lithium and Walt!

What are the chances there'll be a replay of the Ladies Football final?

Advertisement