Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,333 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Will he last the 4 years ???

I'm hungover, shocked and scared

South Park is going to be all over this

Could be there for 8 years 2 terms :p

I knew it would be close but he won large in the big states

I guess many probably didn't vote in the end

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Depp wrote: »
    dont really see him being let do much of that tbh...He's taking over from barack obama not kim jung il, the president of america cant just faff around making up things as he goes along, he has to go through the senate and the house of representatives and while they are a republican majority they're not going to go along blindly with everything he says, if we think back a few weeks the republicans all but turned their back on him. Re the things you're saying re his character, tbh they're all just opinions and no real proof has been produced just out of context soundbites and quotes regurgitated constantly and shoved down our throats...by no means am I saying he's perfect, far from it in fact, I just dont believe him to be the ''antichrist'' certain people would like to portray him as.

You're ignoring the fact it's the Republican party as a whole that, with Senate and House, will be pushing the Anti-Gay, Anti-Choice, Anti-Immigration, Anti-global warming, anti-science agenda. It's hard to know what Trump believes; he flip-flops all over the place to whatever he thinks the crowd will cheer. But its the party that have made their stances clear. It's Mike Pence who quite clearly is against equal rights for the LGBT. Its his party thats highly pro-life, who don't believe in evolution.

As for out of context quotes, what context makes this sound good?

“I just start kissing them. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything.” (...) “Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything.”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Seriously what would he have had to do to lose?

I mean he insulted every non white male demographic, fought with veterans families, insulted handicapped people and had 12 different women call him out for sexual harrasment after his grab em by the P***y revelation.

Hillary should be ashamed that she lost to him.

He got elected on 9/11 ok 11/9 over there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I mean he insulted every non white male demographic, fought with veterans families, insulted handicapped people and had 12 different women call him out for sexual harassment after his grab em by the P***y revelation.

Late on it was at the stage when even South Park couldn't come out with anything more outrageous for Mr. Garrison to do as it paled in comparison to a country in the western world voting that as their representative

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Lord TSC wrote: »
    You're ignoring the fact it's the Republican party as a whole that, with Senate and House, will be pushing the Anti-Gay, Anti-Choice, Anti-Immigration, Anti-global warming, anti-science agenda. It's hard to know what Trump believes; he flip-flops all over the place to whatever he thinks the crowd will cheer. But its the party that have made their stances clear. It's Mike Pence who quite clearly is against equal rights for the LGBT. Its his party thats highly pro-life, who don't believe in evolution.

As for out of context quotes, what context makes this sound good?

“I just start kissing them. I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything.” (...) “Grab them by the pussy. You can do anything.”

agree the republicans are very conservative but I still dont see that as warranting all this doom and gloom ww3 nonsense thats going around. See them slowing certain issues but they definitely won't stop them completely.

important part of that quote is ''they let you do it'', if the quote was ''they wont let you do it, but you can do it anyway'' it would be a different story but its a well known fact that certain women will throw themselves at celebrities/public figures, might not be pc to say it but it happens. Also think its important to consider the circumstances under which this was said, hate to drum out the cliche but it was ''locker room banter'', one man trying to impress another. To say that locker room banter makes one inherently evil is ridiculous as I highly doubt many men can honestly say they've never partaken in it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Didn't think I could think less of the US, and yet here we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The republicans are a scary party the majority just so backwards on socially and they just hide behind religious beliefs to fuel their beliefs

important part of that quote is ''they let you do it'', if the quote was ''they wont let you do it, but you can do it anyway'' it would be a different story but its a well known fact that certain women will throw themselves at celebrities/public figures, might not be pc to say it but it happens. Also think its important to consider the circumstances under which this was said, hate to drum out the cliche but it was ''locker room banter'', one man trying to impress another. To say that locker room banter makes one inherently evil is ridiculous as I highly doubt many men can honestly say they've never partaken in it.

Jesus.

"They let them do it" is extremely close to victim blaming. I'm sure there are some who throw themselves at celebrities, but I'm also sure there are many who feel pressured into it. To try and justify it with "Sure, they want it anyway" is horrific imo.

And as far as "locker room banter", I can honestly say at no point with "the lads" would I or anyone ever start bragging about sexually assaulting women, and it's an extreme cop out to try and portray it that way. In fact, as a man, I find the "locker room banter" defense extremely sexist and extremely insulting....

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Jesus.

"They let them do it" is extremely close to victim blaming. I'm sure there are some who throw themselves at celebrities, but I'm also sure there are many who feel pressured into it. To try and justify it with "Sure, they want it anyway" is horrific imo.

And as far as "locker room banter", I can honestly say at no point with "the lads" would I or anyone ever start bragging about sexually assaulting women, and it's an extreme cop out to try and portray it that way. In fact, as a man, I find the "locker room banter" defense extremely sexist and extremely insulting....

again, thats you're interpretation of the quote, not what he meant when he said it. Quite clear he was bragging how easy his celebrity made it for him to pull women to put it bluntly. the sexual assault angle is completely overblown. The quote can be interpreted many different ways and at the end of the day the only person who truly knows what he meant is Donald. Also feel that the quote being from 2005 takes some relevancy from it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

again, thats you're interpretation of the quote, not what he meant when he said it. Quite clear he was bragging how easy his celebrity made it for him to pull women to put it bluntly. the sexual assault angle is completely overblown. The quote can be interpreted many different ways and at the end of the day the only person who truly knows what he meant is Donald. Also feel that the quote being from 2005 takes some relevancy from it.

The one way I couldnt interpret that would be as presidential. That said the dye has been cast and The Donald is Supreme Chancellor elect.

The one way I couldnt interpret that would be as presidential. That said the dye has been cast and The Donald is Supreme Chancellor elect.

I believe the term is "God Emperor" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Might be time for a change to the Thread Title.

Proposal - now Trump has won, Clinton must shave her head bald *shamelessly stolen from Twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The conscencus over there when I was in Chicago was that they hate Hillary enough to vote Trump even aware of his notions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,842 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

An episode of The Simpsons from 16 years ago.

Lisa Simpson America's first female President who took over from the now new President of The Untied States America Donald Trump.

I was thinking previously Michelle Obama would walk it in 2020 if she ran but maybe it will be Kanye West :p

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I was thinking previously Michelle Obama would walk it in 2020 if she ran but maybe it will be Kanye West :p

Beyoncé/Z 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

This...people can cool it with the fear mongering...yes the stock markets will take a hit but they'll level out quickly enough once everyone gets over the fear mongering...there will be no ''major crash'' and if anything ww3 just became less likely...some of the amateur dramatics at the minute are embarrassing

Like Brexit, this election does actually affect me. I work with a large amount of multinationals and anything that affects the stock markets can have a huge affect with my customers. Plus the company I'm with in a US one, if Trump goes ahead with his tax changes it can impact my daily life.

I am beyond words. I'm not a fan of Clinton at all, but better the devil you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

A puppet...A RUSSIAN PUPPET AS PRESIDENT!

A puppet...A RUSSIAN PUPPET AS PRESIDENT!

lol

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I wish I could believe this won't affect us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think it's a disaster for the world. The Americans have put their faith in a man who has faced bankruptcy a few times in his own business life to improve their economy. A man who thinks climate change is a hoax cooked up by the Chinese. A man who doesn't think America has a problem with gun violence. A man who wants to build a wall to keep out Mexicans.

It would be funny if it weren't so scary. And I think this will affect people here. Trump has mentioned Ireland before and his unhappiness with US firms being here - expect many to depart. You could be looking at the potential for another recession when you factor in this with uncertain Brexit negotiations next year. That will likely mean higher taxes here, and maybe dipping into pensions. Not to mention the fact that Trump wants to scrap the climate accords which will lead to our planet staying too warm and likely increase the prospect of freaky weather: flooding, etc.

And that's before we get into foreign policy. The way US presidents get a divided country back on side is by picking a fight with someone overseas. That's what Dubya did and I can see the US finding a new target in the coming years, perhaps Iran since Trump wants to scrap the peace deal John Kerry made with them.

What's even more concerning is that the Republicans now have control of the political structure too; and with the creationists a big part of the party now, you can expect creationism being taught in schools and colleges, evolution being questioned, women's rights over their bodies being rolled back...it's going to push America backwards in a lot of ways, and as such the world in general.

Dark times are ahead. And it may not be the end of it. The far-right Marine Le Pen will be buoyant and will make a big push in the French presidential election next year, and it looks like the Tories will be in power in the UK for the forseeable future. Where is there a liberal voice in the western world to believe in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Trump to the left of us,
    Brexit to the right.
    Here we are,
    Stuck in the middle.
    We're screwed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Its very early days yet, so I dont fear the worst like some posters above just yet. Trump said a lot of things to try keep everyone happy and get on board with him, so I do doubt he will follow through on all his claims.

That being said I do think he is capable of rash, ill-judged decisions, which could have huge ramifications on the world globally.

One thing is for sure, he wont look out for America or the rest of the world, Trump looks after number 1 and everyone else will be under the bus if needs be.

Me thinks Lord TSCs draft storyline from earlier this year may come true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,842 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Today is the 27th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall!

Will today be the start of building a new wall I wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,846 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

god i hate that Tesco mobile ad with that annoying girl who gets the friend request from her boss (accent does my head in) :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've been listening to Alter Bridge's latest album The Last Hero and though only about halfway in I'm liking it. I think I might buy it. I could see a few of these songs working well in WWE promo videos. It was through Edge's theme song that I first got interested in the band a decade ago. Anyone listen to the album yet and have any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It's a good album, though Fortress for me is their best so far..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Imnotthehulk

Just read that ESPN are going to be showing a documentary on the XFL as part of their 30 for 30 series. The 30 for 30 documentaries are often fantastic looks at events and people in sports history. Not only is there a documentary due on the XFL (in february) there's also one being made on Ric Flair.

But with recent events and the xfl in mind, if anybody gets the chance they should seek out a documentary called Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?

This follows the rise and fall of the USFL, a spring alternative to the NFL established in the 1980's, and how the involvement of a certain Donald Trump helped in its demise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWxMCLHXkVc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It's a good album, though Fortress for me is their best so far..

Ya, I like it too, but Fortress was unbelievable. Every single song on that album was epic

Advertisement