Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

jaykhunter wrote: »
    LOL! What happened here?

McGregor lifted a chair over his head and was acting like he was going to throw it. I think Alvarez had kicked over a chair and McGregor had thought it was thrown at him or something. It did have the whiff of a stunt to it but I don't mind all that personally. It's just promotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It was blatantly pre-planned (to the point where Conor was left a second too long on his own so he had to just stand still with the chair over his head waiting) but any non-prograps person I talked to couldn't see how it would be a stunt. No harm and all but you can't really ever say MMA is pure sports build up.

Also prograps related spoiler from UFC tonight:
    Could be a proper old school build up for Russia v Ireland is McGregor wins.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

That was some 4th round (Woolley vs Thompson) hard luck wonderboy but I think he will be back esp as it was such a close split decision..... ooo interesting majority draw even tho he wins / retains still, def gonna be a rematch

Now for the first MSG Main Event!

Well McGregor did it. Fair play to him. I'm pleased the show will go on for a while yet. Glad my prediction was way off.

Alvarez's tactics surprised me. I thought he'd go for the takedowns and not try to stand up to him. Maybe he'll regret his strategy.

Some month for sport in Ireland eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Alvarez fought like a bum too. McGregor was just outstanding.

• Advertisement

Fully deserved result. 2 weight world champion and first in MMA.

They go back on what they say all the time but id assume they will take his 155 belt now. Personally I'd love to see him fight Aldo again but tbh I don't think Conor wants that at all. He will probably fight Nate a 3rd time but personally I don't think he wants that for a while either.

Fully deserved result. 2 weight world champion and first in MMA.

They go back on what they say all the time but id assume they will take his 155 belt now. Personally I'd love to see him fight Aldo again but tbh I don't think Conor wants that at all. He will probably fight Nate a 3rd time but personally I don't think he wants that for a while either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Called it :P

I wonder if he'll announce his retirement. In the past he has said, "I'm here to win every belt, and then I'm gone. And then I'll see the game later. I'll walk away from this game. I'll set it ablaze, and walk away."

There were rumours he wanted a break. Maybe he'll do a Ronda and walk away for a while.

I wonder if he'll announce his retirement. In the past he has said, "I'm here to win every belt, and then I'm gone. And then I'll see the game later. I'll walk away from this game. I'll set it ablaze, and walk away."

There were rumours he wanted a break. Maybe he'll do a Ronda and walk away for a while.

Wouldn't surprise me but when he was asked something similar at the pre fight press conference he replied "I'm just getting started"

I also called it I guess but most people called Conor by TKO and that it probably would happen in the first few rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Wouldn't surprise me but when he was asked something similar at the pre fight press conference he replied "I'm just getting started"

I also called it I guess but most people called Conor by TKO and that it probably would happen in the first few rounds.

Yeah, hence the :P face haha. Also, was a KO, not TKO apparently! And, after that combo, hard to see why it wouldn't be called a knockout, Eddie was done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,846 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Knw **** all about UFC and MMA but congrats Connor amazing achievement and the whole country's proud.

I don't want to start a whole wrestling vs UFC fans thing but there are lads/ladies who are so obsessed with Mcgregor it's scary (lads in tears, won't talk about anything else etc). Us wrestling fans were not that crazy are we ???? lol

The sporting god's are smiling down on Ireland the last few weeks

Heading to the rugby next Saturday, think we will give it a right go but think the All blacks will win (its really a win/win for Ireland as we beat them already and not many are expecting us to do it twice in one year)

Delighted with the soccer win but let's not get carried away there's a long road left and we have a lot of tough games to come (home advantage means feck all and we have to travel to Georgia). Even if we get to a playoff there will be a few big boys in there like Italy, Portugal, Holland etc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I don't want to start a whole wrestling vs UFC fans thing but there are lads/ladies who are so obsessed with Mcgregor it's scary (lads in tears, won't talk about anything else etc). Us wrestling fans were not that crazy are we ???? lol

The sporting god's are smiling down on Ireland the last few weeks

In the attitude era we probably were but these days it's not as cool as the UFC. Sounds bad but i'd be far more likely to bring up watching UFC 205 in work if someone asks what I was up to on the weekend than I would be a WWE PPV were one on.

And yup sport wise things are good atm hell even a Munster 2nd string team beat the Maori side that hammered the USA the week before!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Who was it again that spent months and months fantasy booking for Sting, even after it was clear he'd be retiring after the Rollins match? :pac:

An File wrote: »
    Who was it again that spent months and months fantasy booking for Sting, even after it was clear he'd be retiring after the Rollins match? :pac:

In fairness the man denied retirement and said he as fine to wrestle until the HOF this year and got my hopes up

Bit of imagination doesn't hurt anybody (it hurt me personally when I done a few shows in the fantasy ppr thread earlier in the year and didn't get a mention in the end of competition reviews lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Anyone ever bought used stuff of off Amazon? Contemplating buying two games that are used and in "very good" condition, surely it's reliable?
    They cost £0.21 and £0.50 each but the postage is £2 each for them but I assume that's done to boost them up the list when you click into the used section.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Anyone ever bought used stuff of off Amazon? Contemplating buying two games that are used and in "very good" condition, surely it's reliable?
    They cost £0.21 and £0.50 each but the postage is £2 each for them but I assume that's done to boost them up the list when you click into the used section.

Replying as an Amazon seller here.

"Very good" should be grand. It SHOULD mean it's near perfect, but one or two little things on the box (slightly damaged, etc) means its not quite good enough to list as "Like New". And for those prices, you can't go wrong. Though be careful the postage is the Irish price; I think it will usually display the price for an English address and could get bumped up a bit when you enter an Irish address.

And if it arrives less than "Very good" condition, rest assured Amazon will make it incredible easy for you to get a refund, returned, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Replying as an Amazon seller here.

"Very good" should be grand. It SHOULD mean it's near perfect, but one or two little things on the box (slightly damaged, etc) means its not quite good enough to list as "Like New". And for those prices, you can't go wrong. Though be careful the postage is the Irish price; I think it will usually display the price for an English address and could get bumped up a bit when you enter an Irish address.

And if it arrives less than "Very good" condition, rest assured Amazon will make it incredible easy for you to get a refund, returned, etc.
    Perfect, thanks for that.

i always go the stingy side of things when i order off Amazon (from the amazon store themselves) and go for Free Delivery. It takes longer for my stuff to arrive but saves about 7 euro

Im never ordering off Groupon or Wish ever again. Bought a Miracast Stick, USB key and Android box off and they all broke after a few days use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Wish is grand, so long as you accept that cheap prices mean slow postage and unknown reliability

I can't remember the last time I bought something direct from Amazon, I stick to the Marketplace Sellers now. Works out cheaper for me than bulking things into one order just for free postage. Plus Marketplace Sellers still post to Parcel Motel, etc., which I think Amazon have stopped doing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,333 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As he is going to be a dad now, he may take a long break or retire but I do think he wants at least one fight at Croke Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,842 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Beyoncé/Z 2020.

Besides Kanye West, now Ron Perlman, Chris Rock and The Rock interested in running too :P

Only got to see Doctor Strange today and quite enjoyed it. 8/10 I'd give it, visuals were outstanding

How is Doctor Strange going to fit in with the rest ??? I knw there was mention of an infinity stone and another MCU major character appears

Anyone still having problems with boards.ie, 2016 quite a bad year for boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone still having problems with boards.ie, 2016 quite a bad year for boards.ie

No, not in ages, how are you viewing it? I find chrome to be horrible on Android, and the native browser to be much better. On desktop Chrome & Firefox work a treat. Do you've any odd app or adblockers that might affect it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

No problems since jan last year (right after the draft began iirc, awful timing). Using noth chrome, edge and IE in work, no issues for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,263 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems better now but over the past few days or so we had all double posts and it was slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The whole Trump situation.

Everybody in the world: "OMG!!!! HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN?? WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE. THIS IS TRULY MESSED UP. THINGS WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!!!!"

Me: "Ha that's gas. I really hope I can luck out and get him in the boards PW draft 2017."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Haha you and me both brother, but I think id never do him justice

Advertisement