Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,841 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

getting rid of a lot of my DVDs (donating to a local charity shop)

There taking up room

Im keeping only the movies i really like and the ones that are part of a double/trilogy etc , Some of my Sports and Music DVD/Blu rays and my 3D blu rays (aiming to collect all the MCU and DCU 3D BRs)

ill keep the box sets such as Family Guy, American Dad, Scrubs, The Simpsons (although to my heartbreak they stopped producing Simpsons DVDs after season 17), love/hate etc

I was a huge collecter of dvds back in my teens/early 20's but then streaming services such as Netflix/WWE Network etc came along and also portable Hard drives/USB keys brought an end too that

LIFE MOVES ON AND SO DOES FORMS OF PHYSICAL ENTERTAINMENT LOL

imagine im not the only one whos minimizing there DVD/BR/Game collection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

PTH2009 wrote: »
    getting rid of a lot of my DVDs (donating to a local charity shop)

There taking up room

Im keeping only the movies i really like and the ones that are part of a double/trilogy etc , Some of my Sports and Music DVD/Blu rays and my 3D blu rays (aiming to collect all the MCU and DCU 3D BRs)

ill keep the box sets such as Family Guy, American Dad, Scrubs, The Simpsons (although to my heartbreak they stopped producing Simpsons DVDs after season 17), love/hate etc

I was a huge collecter of dvds back in my teens/early 20's but then streaming services such as Netflix/WWE Network etc came along and also portable Hard drives/USB keys brought an end too that

LIFE MOVES ON AND SO DOES FORMS OF PHYSICAL ENTERTAINMENT LOL

imagine im not the only one whos minimizing there DVD/BR/Game collection
    *BD.

I'M SO SORRY FOR THE PEDANTIC ABBREVIATION CORRECTION!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Not strictly wrestling related so I'll ask here.
    I'm old so I'm wondering what is that thing TJ Perkins does with one arm out and head into his other arm? I see people posting in that pose on facebook as well. Think it starts with D.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Not strictly wrestling related so I'll ask here.
    I'm old so I'm wondering what is that thing TJ Perkins does with one arm out and head into his other arm? I see people posting in that pose on facebook as well. Think it starts with D.

It's called The Dab, Carolina Panthers quarter back Cam Newton does it everytime he scores a touchdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Did you hear about the kid of some congressman in America who caused some embarrassment for Republicans when he did it recently...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/shortcuts/2017/jan/04/how-the-dab-made-it-from-atlanta-hip-hip-to-the-us-congress

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

There were two lads at the Olympics in Rio that dabbed anytime they were on camera and it was gas:

Richard Boyd Barrett did it in the Dáil last year too:

Yeah, I don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,325 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It's called The Dab, Carolina Panthers quarter back Cam Newton does it everytime he scores a touchdown.

I thought it was Usain Bolt's thing :confused:

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought it was Usain Bolt's thing :confused:

Well when I googled it, the Wikipedia page for it made no mention of Usain Bolt whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I wouldnt class Usian Bolts pose as a dab, it seems to be called the lighting bolt or something. To me it just looks like the Hulk Hogan pose but instead of having the right arm up flexing its down next to his chest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Yeah Bolts pose is similar but not the same. Bolt just poses like a javelin throwing in a Hulk Hogan esque way (like Johnny said above)

going to see 2 bands that have contributed songs to the WWE world in the past at the 3arena 2morrow Disturbed and Avenged Sevenfold. David Draiman from Disturbed is married to former WWE diva lena Yada

Travelling back 11 years to when i was 16 listening relgiously to bands like these. HIM and My Chemical Romance were quite popular back in then too

More US shootings, this time at Fort Lauderdale airport :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,841 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

http://www.dorkly.com/post/81738/simpsons-continuity

For anybody that doubts the genius of The Simpsons. Some of these are mind blowing.

LeeJM wrote: »
    http://www.dorkly.com/post/81738/simpsons-continuity

For anybody that doubts the genius of The Simpsons. Some of these are mind blowing.

life would not be the same without The Simpsons

it will be a sad day when it finally ends

Homer and Marge have grown up in so many different time frames eg In the early seasons they grew up in the 70's/80's, newer seasons they mentioned growing up in the 90's and the 'Sydney Olympics was something to look forward too'. Soon enough Marge and homer will be growing up during obamas first year as president lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Reddit's Ireland sub-forum has this creepy fascination with Boards.ie.

nhHDArq.png

I sub r/Ireland & every so often they find something about Boards to give out about. Have to laugh when you see threads giving out about r/Ireland :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Have seen so many anti-mod comments on r/Ireland, usually from the "too cool for school" crowd, desperately trying to say they dont care about boards while obsessing over it. Always good for a chuckle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ha yeah, I wonder if this is where people who are banned from Boards flock! I'd love to know the ratio of posters to banned boards accounts.

Reddit takes some getting used to - specifically the downvoting system. You get downvoted for saying thanks :confused: or if they just don't agree and can't be bothered discussing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

In fairness though there's so much ****e on Boards. Pure "music is **** nowadays isn't it?" level of insight in most threads in AH. If you formed your overall opinions of Boards based off the most popular subs you'd probably not care for it tbh. It's more specific and lower reach subforums that keep me here.

My internet petpeeve is definitely people on reddit who edit their posts to say "thanks for the gold", "wow didn't expect my biggest post to be about *insert literally any possible topic*" "did not expect to be downvoted". I dunno why it annoys me but you can't go through a thread without it. Reddit can also do one for the amount of pro-John Oliver posts they spam the place with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I'd imagine we have some subscribers to Joe Rogan's podcast here. Used to listen all the time and only after diving back into daily podcast listening. Have a load I'm listening to.

Gawd Brendan Schaub has really become an annoying tool. He comes out with the same old spiel.

".....excuse me Sir.....Sir"

He pretty much crawls up Rogan's a$$ anytime he is on the fight companion. He'll give his opinion and then Joe will correct him or disagree with him. Then he'll instantly agree with Joe/Eddie/Bryan whomever.

Anyone get U2 tickets today, no 2nd date in Croke Park happening apparently and of course touts have them up for sale at super increased prices

Touts have put me off concerts altogether. I don't even try to get tickets any more.
    I'd say if Garth had gone ahead with hiis gigs, the venue would've been half empty all nights due to the number of tickets bought by touts.
    I wish they would introduce laws to stop touts. Or at least a decent system

Or go the way Iron Maiden have gone.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37438005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Was at the November gigs and that was great cause tickets were on sale for that at the 3arena. I was working in the area at the time.

Didn't have my name in the hat today. Seems a huge amount of people ended ticketless. Touts must make a mint for these tickets. You'd be amazing the amount of travelling fans that come to U2. Lived in windmill lane when the 360 tour was three night in Cromer. The place was swamped with tourist fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,841 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ticketmaster themselves are now the biggest touts in the game they have it sown up with there resale site selling tickets at hugely marked up prices so they get a % of all sales legal and touted.

I buy U2 tickets today for face value go on Ticketmaster's resale site and and sell them for whatever I want and Ticketmaster take a % of that.

I did like one comment where someone said "I fell sorry for those people who bought tickets at 9:00 but then realised at 9:01 that they couldn't go so had to sell them on"

I just feel no one should buy from the touts. Again, I'll use the Garth concerts as an example. How many of these touts do you think refunded the buyers after the concerts were cancelled? Unfortunately people wanto to go to these things no matter what.
    And I'm sure on places like toutless a lot of ones buying are just reselling later on.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Or go the way Iron Maiden have gone.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-37438005

Going to see them in the 3arena in May where all the tickets are ticketless (your credit card is ur ticket). I really hope it won't be a huge mess but with this being Ireland I expect it will be (there will be sum thick idiots who will forget there cards/ID in the night and cause chaos)

Got my u2 ticket in the presale last weds (€201.75 seated collectors ticket :eek:). Disgraceful the amount of tickets on touting sites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I'd never buy tickets from someone I didn't know. I just don't trust that the tickets will be legit so I'd definitely stick away from touts

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I agreed to do an AMA here on Boards about Living in Taiwan if anyone has any interest The Thread has just been opened on that board.

Advertisement