Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,839 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Draw

Cud of won or lost the game, lots to ponder

Hope Seamus Coleman's injury is not as bad as it seems. Best of luck too him

We need to beat Austria in June

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Draw

As someone who has broken his leg before, I can tell ya now, Coleman's injury is as bad as it seems.. A season ending injury.. Phew the flashbacks to my own...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

MrMac84 wrote: »
    He was there scouting Ogbene :D

JC is very down to earth!
    He has nothing to worry about from either side, that's for sure! I see Cork hammering Limerick at the end of the month.
    Draw

Is it safe to assume that Wales are kind of out of it now having only got seven points from a potential fifteen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Was at the match myself. Not a good game, two poor sides. You could see Seamie's leg was in a bad way on the big screen. He'll be doing well to be back before Christmas. Bale should have gone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Is it safe to assume that Wales are kind of out of it now having only got seven points from a potential fifteen?

No sure they're only 4 points behind ourselves & Serbia. I can't see them actually beating Serbia in the summer with Bale suspended but to suggest they're out of it already is guaranteed to lead to complacency. If they get a draw in Serbia they have us & Austria at home so they still have every chance of making up for their poor start. However we're now in an excellent position to at least make the playoffs with home games against Austria & Serbia but considering the top 4 teams are of similar standard I can see everybody dropping more points in this group.

Horrible injury for Coleman, he's been brilliant for Everton the last few months too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Someone mentioned us on squared circle.

Someone mentioned us on squared circle.

Good or bad? Also what thread on Squared Circle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Dunno. That board they're referring to sound like they know nothing

A blast from the past, good old Kerrang days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ha! I just spotted that the book I self-published on Amazon actually got its first piece of feedback.

3/5 stars. To quote...
    This book is well plotted, suspenseful, peopled with well drawn characters. Had a real sense of place too. Could see the parts of Dublin and Maynooth clearly. However, it was also incredibly annoying because it badly needed an editor to find the countless slips, like titled instead of tilted, their instead of there, and so on. Even a good friend would have found these spelling and grammatical errors. They spoil the reader's enjoyment. Please do this next time. You have the makings of a good writer with some editorial assistance.

Right, calling something "annoying" doesn't reflect well, but that's a really easy fix, relatively. If they liked the plot, and liked the characters, that's the main takeaway for me. Spelling mistakes, etc, can be fixed. Bad plots or unlikeable characters can't. I'm taking the 3/5 stars as a good sign here :)

(For the record, I did get people to read it, looking for spelling mistakes. Just missed them :/ Joys of being a first time self-published author though. I know I need an editor, but they are damn expensive if you don't have an actual publishing house paying it for you).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ha! I just spotted that the book I self-published on Amazon actually got its first piece of feedback.

3/5 stars. To quote...

Right, calling something "annoying" doesn't reflect well, but that's a really easy fix, relatively. If they liked the plot, and liked the characters, that's the main takeaway for me. Spelling mistakes, etc, can be fixed. Bad plots or unlikeable characters can't. I'm taking the 3/5 stars as a good sign here :)

(For the record, I did get people to read it, looking for spelling mistakes. Just missed them :/ Joys of being a first time self-published author though. I know I need an editor, but they are damn expensive if you don't have an actual publishing house paying it for you).

I self published a book myself, for the craic more than anything, just to see how it was done, to gain a bit of experience for something more "Real" at a later date. The Amazon platform has wonderful potential, and if you can crack the code, so to speak, is a great form of passive income.

Some successful writers recommend that you contact some of the better known reviewers on Amazon, give them a free copy of your book, in exchange for some honest reviews. Might help boost your numbers in the KDP!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I self published a book myself, for the craic more than anything, just to see how it was done, to gain a bit of experience for something more "Real" at a later date. The Amazon platform has wonderful potential, and if you can crack the code, so to speak, is a great form of passive income.

Some successful writers recommend that you contact some of the better known reviewers on Amazon, give them a free copy of your book, in exchange for some honest reviews. Might help boost your numbers in the KDP!

Hadn't even thought of that. Thats a good idea. Will defo use it :)

Yeah, Amazon is amazing. Truth be told, I wrote two books a few years back when I was fresh out of uni. Sent them round to a few publishers, got an ok response but no one wanted to publish and take the risk on me.

Fast forward to this year, I read about KDP and thought "They're there, ready to go. Sure, throw them up and see what comes of it." I've only sold about 20 copies, but thats 20 more than I ever thought. And its given me the motivation to try and do one way more seriously. Just finishing up the first draft of a thriller that I really am proud of and happy with, and am excited to see how I get on with publishers. Nice to know, though, KDP is there for me to at least get something out of it :P

Oh, and verified purchase reviews mean a lot more to potential buyers. So if you could get some of your mates to buy a copy, and hop up a favourable review, you've a much better chance of Amazon actually pushing it towards the front page. Free publicity!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Also could be worth dropping a copy or two into your local library, though they may not be allowed to purchase any. You won't make much (if any) money directly from it but quite often when people find an author they like they tend to stick with them and look for more. Could be handy if any publishers get on board with future novels.

Heading too the darts 2morrow in the 3arena. 3rd time going and looking forward too it. Giving it a rest for 2018

Some good games at it
    James Wade vs MVG
    Phil Taylor vs RVB
    Peter Wright vs Dave Chisnall
    Gary Anderson vs Adrian Lewis
    James Wade vs RVB

Would love to get pissed at it like many others will be but €6.50 a can of orchard thieves is a lot and we're traveling up and down from Waterford in the same night.

Heading too the darts 2morrow in the 3arena. 3rd time going and looking forward too it. Giving it a rest for 2018

Some good games at it
    James Wade vs MVG
    Phil Taylor vs RVB
    Peter Wright vs Dave Chisnall
    Gary Anderson vs Adrian Lewis
    James Wade vs RVB

Would love to get pissed at it like many others will be but €6.50 a can of orchard thieves is a lot and we're traveling up and down from Waterford in the same night.

Michael Van Gerwen to beat James Wade, Phil Taylor to beat Raymond Van Barneveld, Dave Chisnall to beat Peter Wright, Gary Anderson to beat Adrian Lewis, Raymond Van Barneveld and James Wade to draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Anyone here watch the Masters. Poor Dustin Johnson in the form of his life fell down the stairs yesterday and is now a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Have e/w bets on Stellar Notion, Vicente and Highland Lodge for tomorrow's Grand National

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Have e/w bets on Stellar Notion, Vicente and Highland Lodge for tomorrow's Grand National

Have small e/ws on Vieux Lion Rouge, Saint Are, Blaklion, One for Arthur and Double Shuffle. Just for a bit of interest I don't expect to get much back.

• Advertisement

Pentecost wrote: »
    Have small e/ws on Vieux Lion Rouge, Saint Are, Blaklion, One for Arthur and Double Shuffle. Just for a bit of interest I don't expect to get much back.

Woohoo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Had One for Arthur myself

Just realised Vieux came 6th that makes it four of the top 6 and PP are paying on 6th. Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Pentecost wrote: »
    paulie21 wrote: »
    Had One for Arthur myself

Well Done

I haven't a notion of what's going on in here the past few days!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I haven't a notion of what's going on in here the past few days!

I believe it's gambling talk about Horse racing

*looks at the thread title*

did ya get any news on the job?

I believe it's gambling talk about Horse racing

*looks at the thread title*

did ya get any news on the job?

Ya, passed the interview, thanks! Didn't place high enough on the panel to be appointed however

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Well fair play on passing it anywhoo

guess a new title for the thread is probably due...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Was thinking of going playing pitch and putt some time soon, a pair of football boots would be suitable footwear I assume?

• Advertisement

Was thinking of going playing pitch and putt some time soon, a pair of football boots would be suitable footwear I assume?

Just wear trainers.

If the greens are in any way in good condition, football boots could ruin them.

Advertisement