Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Yeah, you won't be allowed in at all with studded boots. Normal trainers are fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Could have
    Could have
    Could have

It's "have". It's never "of". "Could of" isn't a thing. It's "could have" or "could've". Same goes for "must have" or "would have". Worse still is this nugget; "would of being". No!!! It's "would have been". Every single time I see it written I want to scoop my eyes out with a rusty spoon. Fcuking hell it's so so prevalent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

lol ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Someone I'm friends with on Facebook says "anall" instead of "and all" which I find hilarious every time he posts it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Omackeral wrote: »
    Could have
    Could have
    Could have

It's "have". It's never "of". "Could of" isn't a thing. It's "could have" or "could've". Same goes for "must have" or "would have". Worse still is this nugget; "would of being". No!!! It's "would have been". Every single time I see it written I want to scoop my eyes out with a rusty spoon. Fcuking hell it's so so prevalent.

What could of have annoyed you so much this morning? I would of being going back to bed if I'd woken up in such bad form.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I always write gonna instead of going to.

but despite teaching it I usually don't get too annoyed by poor grammar from people. That said if i'm not just writing online and I am doing so for a proper purpose then I'll spend much more time on what I'm writing and ensure that there are no such inaccuracies that could reflect poorly on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

lol ;)

ROFL

lol ;)
    beakerjoe wrote: »
    ROFL

Lmfao

Check out CM Punk's grammar slam from a few years back. It's beautiful. He had a whole series on it.

Lmfao

Check out CM Punk's grammar slam from a few years back. It's beautiful. He had a whole series on it.

I enjoy how easily annoy by LOL, it makes me smile

I'm an angry man, Joe. An angry bitter man.

I'm actually not at all though in reality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I enjoy how easily annoy by LOL, it makes me smile

He's not the only one easily annoyed by it, it's a stupid abbreviation.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    He's not the only one easily annoyed by it, it's a stupid abbreviation.

I kinda felt that way about a decade ago when it first seemed to explode in usage (it has been around since the 80s apparently) but these days I dunno wether I just accept it more as it's seeped into the general vernacular / usage through pop culture or that there is less of a stigma with the youth of today using it in comparison to a decade ago when someone saying lol was immediately looked at as if they were a teenage girl or something (not there is anything wrong with teenage girls of course).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I can understand the mistake with "could of". If you just hear could've, it sounds basically the same.

I mostly get annoyed by stuff like "I could care less" to indicate someone doesn't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Exams finished for another year thank feck. Serious feeling of elation. Now, for some wrestling and beering. Lol

I kinda felt that way about a decade ago when it first seemed to explode in usage (it has been around since the 80s apparently) but these days I dunno wether I just accept it more as it's seeped into the general vernacular / usage through pop culture or that there is less of a stigma with the youth of today using it in comparison to a decade ago when someone saying lol was immediately looked at as if they were a teenage girl or something (not there is anything wrong with teenage girls of course).

Maybe I'm just getting grumpy/more annoyed as I move up in my 20's.. And I'm more a Ha Ha person..

May God have mercy on me during June, July & August when I'm stuck working with students learning Irish, it'll be everywhere and inescapable :rolleyes:

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Exams finished for another year thank feck. Serious feeling of elation. Now, for some wrestling and beering. Lol

Congrats sir..

I'll have that same feeling on the 25th when I finish my own exams :D, then straight to the pub..

Charlie Murphy, Eddies brothe rof Dave Chappelle fame has died at 57 after a leukemia battle.

THEY SHOULD HAVE NEVER GIVEN HIM MONEY. RIP Brother Darkness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Charlie Murphy, Eddies brothe rof Dave Chappelle fame has died at 57 after a leukemia battle.

THEY SHOULD HAVE NEVER GIVEN HIM MONEY. RIP Brother Darkness
    Random thought, I used to think that the guy from the "Roll safe" meme was Dave Chappelle.
    reece.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

In an attempt to become like Cesaro and Sami Zayn, I've just signed up for Spanish language lessons. ?Ol?!

• Advertisement

In an attempt to become like Cesaro and Sami Zayn, I've just signed up for Spanish language lessons. ?Ol?!

Im sure you'll end up more like Manuel from Faulty Towers. :D Good luck with that.... or should I say Buena suerte con eso.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'd love to try leaning a new language and Spanish would probably top the list, but I'm really bad at languages :(

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'd love to try leaning a new language and Spanish would probably top the list, but I'm really bad at languages :(

Its very difficult, I chose it as my secondary subject for Junior and Leaving Cert and I found it tricky. Ive heard French is easier to pick up.

Lord TSC wrote: »

That's why you start from level zero mi amigo! I'd be able to order dinner and drinks in Spanish, that's about it but I'm still doing it fresh from beginner level. Best way to go.

Its very difficult, I chose it as my secondary subject for Junior and Leaving Cert and I found it tricky. Ive heard French is easier to pick up.

It's funny, I did French in secondary school for 5 years and haven't lick of it! Couldn't string a sentence together and that's after half a decade of learning it. I kinda self taught some Spanish just because I liked the sound of it more and can kinda see the English in it, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ever hear of the Duolingo app for your phone? Might be handy for the aul Spanish! It's free too

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Ever hear of the Duolingo app for your phone? Might be handy for the aul Spanish! It's free too

I used something like that on holidays. Hired a car and baby seat entirely in Spanish and the lady gave me the baby seat free of charge because I made the effort! She was probably sniggering a bit inside though :P I just think it's nice to make the effort when abroad. When we go away, we expect everything in English but when tourists come here we still expect only English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I think one of the key things with languages (most things in fairness) is to just keep at it. I did French in school, I was really good at it and considered doing it at college. Because I didn't use it for a few years now I'd probably struggle to hold a conversation with a 1st year secondary student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i think you have to be using the lanaguage fairly regular as brad maddox guy i was really good at french in school but havent done a thing since and id struggle to order a drink now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I'd have been decent enough at languages in school but our Leaving Cert French teacher was a genuine disgrace. A lot of lads failed it and accordingly had to repeat. I got a C2 and that was one of the highest marks, in an honours French class. Always been tempted to try and learn Spanish, went to Central America for a few weeks one time and was picking up little bits of it by the end.

Advertisement