Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Any you guys have mobile internet (like a USB stick you plug into your laptop)? My new apt won't have proper Sky internet for like 3 weeks and pretty desperate. Mobile data on my (three) phone is pretty faff.

I used to have a temp meteor dongle about 5 years back. It did for browsing but the speed was so low it was horrible for downloading and streaming.

It was horrible few weeks until the new broadband got installed. i imagine its hell for you trying to download rips online for OSW with a dongle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Cheers, ah it's mostly just for browsing until I get proper broadband installed. Pulling teeth trying to get Sky out. Virgin have a mobile data deal for €25 that I'll give a go (it's €5 for each of first 5 months so not that much wasted!)

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Cheers, ah it's mostly just for browsing until I get proper broadband installed. Pulling teeth trying to get Sky out. Virgin have a mobile data deal for €25 that I'll give a go (it's €5 for each of first 5 months so not that much wasted!)

Youll be happy with Sky. I switched TV/Internet to them 2 years ago and its so much better/stable than UPC/Virgin Media. UPC used to go down often enough, usually when you needed it teh most. Sky...... 1 problem since switching and it was minor.

New Werewolf game is on the horizon for anyone interested, heres the sign up thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057746906

The theme is Marvel vs DC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

beakerjoe wrote: »
    New Werewolf game is on the horizon for anyone interested, heres the sign up thread.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057746906

The theme is Marvel vs DC

I read a good bit of the last one and it seemed like really good craic, especially all the drama surrounding yourself :p

• Advertisement

I read a good bit of the last one and it seemed like really good craic, especially all the drama surrounding yourself :p

I noticed ya around a bit the last time, ya should pop your name down. It was a fun experience despite the drama and I would recommend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I'd say you my friend are very surprised lol. We were thought a lesson by Scarlets and really really underperformed. Overall a good season for Munster with the tragic passing of Axl Foley but were a long way off from being a top team in Europe and being the dominated force we once were

Hard to knw what way the Lions series will go but the All Blacks will be ready and will remember Chicago 2016 (even though they beat us a few weeks later in Dublin)

Can't really write much into the irish games this summer but the players going will want to impress
    Apologies, only got around to replying to this now! Yeah I was pretty surprised to say the least but Scarlets tore us apart, all it took was one pass out wide and they were in.
    As you said, a great season overall for Munster. We went from not getting out of the group in last year's Champions Cup and finishing sixth in the Pro12 to reaching the last four in Europe, finishing top of the Pro12 and reaching the final. A bright future ahead.

I find it hard to call the Lions. On paper you'd think you would have enough for NZ but it doesn't always translate. Would probably have to tip New Zealand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I noticed ya around a bit the last time, ya should pop your name down. It was a fun experience despite the drama and I would recommend it.

+1 for Werewolf. It's massively fun.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lord TSC wrote:
    +1 for Werewolf. It's massively fun.

Add another +1 to the pot here. Not sure if I bigged it up enough the last time I finished playing :P

Just noticed I won't be able to play next game :( will miss the back end of it.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote:
    Just noticed I won't be able to play next game will miss the back end of it.

You should ask them for dead room access when it starts up. They may or may not have spoilers but the DR is good craic

Necrominus wrote: »
    You should ask them for dead room access when it starts up. They may or may not have spoilers but the DR is good craic

That, I want to study other people's play. I suck so I actually would love DR access quickly to see what others are thinking.

I learned an awful lot about strategies and how others think from my lengthy spells in the deadroom during both my games. Can't recommend it enough to follow the game from the beginning.

I learned an awful lot about strategies and how others think from my lengthy spells in the deadroom during both my games. Can't recommend it enough to follow the game from the beginning.

As you can tell by my first game, I was as green as green can be in my first game, but after my death, I learned so much from the dead room. Observing the game unfold live was a huge help and cant recommend it enough. Couple that with reading the other backroom forums when the game was over has been an invaluable learning tool.

I wasnt confident going into my first game even though I had the basics down. I knew I was out of my depth, but watching that game unfold plus reading the back rooms have really prepared me for the next Marvel/DC game.

As you can tell by my first game, I was as green as green can be in my first game, but after my death, I learned so much from the dead room. Observing the game unfold live was a huge help and cant recommend it enough. Couple that with reading the other backroom forums when the game was over has been an invaluable learning tool.

I wasnt confident going into my first game even though I had the basics down. I knew I was out of my depth, but watching that game unfold plus reading the back rooms have really prepared me for the next Marvel/DC game.

I was gonna post this in the game thread but never got around to it. I honestly wouldn't be concerned about what happened in the first game.

My first game I was a wolf so I had people to kind of guide me through the first few nights and pick up on their leads which was a MASSIVE help. I would have been totally overwhelmed being tossed in as the BG in my first game however.
    Even with the help I got, I still messed up and ended up getting myself and the alpha wolf killed as she tried to cover my tracks and drew attention to herself doing so.

Mistakes are how you learn. I made a whole pile in my second game I know and picked up on them through the deadroom. Having had no experience of the game before these two games everything is still a learning curve for me as well.

I was gonna post this in the game thread but never got around to it. I honestly wouldn't be concerned about what happened in the first game.

My first game I was a wolf so I had people to kind of guide me through the first few nights and pick up on their leads which was a MASSIVE help. I would have been totally overwhelmed being tossed in as the BG in my first game however.
    Even with the help I got, I still messed up and ended up getting myself and the alpha wolf killed as she tried to cover my tracks and drew attention to herself doing so.

Mistakes are how you learn. I made a whole pile in my second game I know and picked up on them through the deadroom. Having had no experience of the game before these two games everything is still a learning curve for me as well.

Cheers Necro, you seem to be a fairly confident and competent player now. I will make a lot more errors in the next game for sure, but none as rookie as the errors made in the my first game.

I felt way out of my depth but wanted to try as I feel I would learn from any mistakes I made. I feel confident of holding my own in the next game without help after my debut.

With the possibility of anon accounts for the future game, plus the familiar theme, I can not wait for the game to roll round.

I feel the Simpsons theme helped me a whole lot and made it more comfortable. I feel Marvel v DC will be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,839 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

so we now have a taoiseach with a german (think its german) second name

anyway could not care less tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Anyone who speaks German can't be evil.

so we now have a taoiseach with a german (think its german) second name

anyway could not care less tbh

You cared enough to post

You cared enough to post

its very historic and it will be our future kids/grankids etc history books

found out his dad is actually indian and mother is Irish. Deff would of thought his second name is bavarian ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

its very historic and it will be our future kids/grankids etc history books

found out his dad is actually indian and mother is Irish. Deff would of thought his second name is bavarian ???

why?

why?

Hes our new government leader and might be a history question in about 40/50 years

It is historic that he's the first openly gay Taoiseach. Considering homosexuality was (shamefully) a criminal offence a relatively short time ago historically speaking it is certainly noteworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pentecost wrote: »
    It is historic that he's the first openly gay Taoiseach. Considering homosexuality was (shamefully) a criminal offence a relatively short time ago historically speaking it is certainly noteworthy.

So you are saying there has been closeted gay Taoiseach.

But yes we as a Country/people have grown a lot in the last few years.

So you are saying there has been closeted gay Taoiseach.

But yes we as a Country/people have grown a lot in the last few years.

It's possible. Who knows? I think to your point there has been a major shift as for the better as our generation has grown up but you won't have to go too far to find some, shall we say, intolerance.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

He's the new leader of Fine Gael, and not Taoiseach as PTH2009 pointed out, far as I know Enda's still Taoiseach, and Varadkar has a few more hoops to jump through before becoming Taoiseach, has to be nominated for the position by everyone in Dáil Éireann, then that has to be confirmed by Michael D. Higgins.

So hold off on the "first openly gay Taoiseach" bit as alluded to by Pentecost earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    He's the new leader of Fine Gael, and not Taoiseach as PTH2009 pointed out, far as I know Enda's still Taoiseach, and Varadkar has a few more hoops to jump through before becoming Taoiseach, has to be nominated for the position by everyone in D?il ?ireann, then that has to be confirmed by Michael D. Higgins.

So hold off on the "first openly gay Taoiseach" bit as alluded to by Pentecost earlier.

I don't think FF like Leo, does he need their backing for Taoiseach?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I don't think FF like Leo, does he need their backing for Taoiseach?

As far as my simple understanding goes, he needs a simple majority, so he probably doesn't need the backing of Fianna Fáil.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable can explain it better.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    He's the new leader of Fine Gael, and not Taoiseach as PTH2009 pointed out, far as I know Enda's still Taoiseach, and Varadkar has a few more hoops to jump through before becoming Taoiseach, has to be nominated for the position by everyone in Dáil Éireann, then that has to be confirmed by Michael D. Higgins.

Nobody has any doubt that he'll be Taoiseach, perhaps I should have said "will be" but otherwise the point stands. As soon as Enda steps down, LV will be off to the Aras. FF don't want an election, yet.

• Advertisement

Pentecost wrote: »
    Nobody has any doubt that he'll be Taoiseach, perhaps I should have said "will be" but otherwise the point stands. As soon as Enda steps down, LV will be off to the Aras. FF don't want an election, yet.

It's more a case of when and not if he's officially confirmed Taoiseach, which I'd imagine will be later this month.

I'd imagine Leo will follow whatever's been laid down before hand by Kenny, as to not rock the boat this early.

Advertisement