Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'd say McGregor could surprise a lot of people..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Mayweather will steamroll him first round KO, but the lads are both amazing talkers, the hype & promo packages will be fantastic. Sold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Mayweather will steamroll him first round KO, but the lads are both amazing talkers, the hype & promo packages will be fantastic. Sold!

I'm going for Mayweather stopping him between rounds 4 and 6 and it'll only last that long because they don't want the accusations of ripping people off. McGregor obviously has a hell of a left hand but he won't get close enough to land it and Mayweather will pick him off. Both are getting all they want out of it though $$$

Lol if it went short (and it should) they could always cry "rematch in an octagon!" lol. Maybe they will! It's a lop-sided fight (Mayweather's out of this world with his boxing vs a non-boxer) - I get a real Couture v Toney vibe off it, obvs with the opposite ending

If it was in an octagon I've no doubt McGregor would smash him, but a boxing ring completely favours Mayweather. It's pretty cool how that works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Time to update the thread title maybe?! This is gonna takeover social media for a good while I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Mayweather wins. I'm not even giving McG the "Punchers chance" you hear about despite the fact that he will have the size / reach advantage. He will last a few rounds most likely though as I doubt they will want a super quick Mayweather win highlighting how much of a joke it potentially could be (esp for all that $$) and i'd say Mayweather will be a little cautious (wanting to safely get his 50-0 and not take the chance of opening himself up for Conor to catch him at all) and just use his superior boxing skills to slowly wear him out. He isn't known as a knock out guy afterall

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Couldn't care much less about the fight, but the promos before hand will be out of this world :P

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

All the back and forth trash talking is what has my attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,215 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

This will be choreographed to almost WWE levels. Mayweather will allow it to go 4-5 rounds for entertainments sake, they'll probably throw in a spot where McGregor rocks Mayweather before he "recovers".

Joke of an event but I know I'll watch.

Mayweather wins. I'm not even giving McG the "Punchers chance" you hear about despite the fact that he will have the size / reach advantage. He will last a few rounds most likely though as I doubt they will want a super quick Mayweather win highlighting how much of a joke it potentially could be (esp for all that $$) and i'd say Mayweather will be a little cautious (wanting to safely get his 50-0 and not take the chance of opening himself up for Conor to catch him at all) and just use his superior boxing skills to slowly wear him out. He isn't known as a knock out guy afterall
    McGregor has the same chance I or anyone untrained but a good bit bigger than Mayweather has: throw a haymaker, hope Mayweather hasn't already knocked me out before it potentially lands and hope it somehow does land.
    Looks like Mayweather is around Evens to do it within the distance, bet of the century.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    Joke of an event but I know I'll watch.
    Same, but I sure as **** won't be paying for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

McGregor has the same chance I or anyone untrained but a good bit bigger than Mayweather has: throw a haymaker, hope Mayweather hasn't already knocked me out before it potentially lands and hope it somehow does land.
    Looks like Mayweather is around Evens to do it within the distance, bet of the century.

What odds are McGregor?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    What odds are McGregor?
    6/1 or so. Probably up to 10/1.
    The market will be like Liverpool matches, you'll always get good odds against because enough people just lump on all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

A loss doesnt damage Mayweather much as he is coming out of retirement to face arguably the top MMA star. He has to be the fav.

McGregor,if he loses, can have the "hes not a boxer, hes a fighter" to fall back on.

They both win with the pay packets involved. The fight will, as others state, will

Also, Paddy Power seem to have the best odds on Mayweather. 1/8. Clear fav.

Online, they're allowing me a maximum bet of €4,000. Returns €4,500.

An easy way to make €500. If you ahve a spare 4k though

Also someone in the MMA thread mentioned a comprison with CM Punk and McGregor.

Its kind of the feeling I have about this fight. Conor could potentially be completely out of his depth and take a quick humbling loss.

Conor isnt as inexprienced as Punk, but he isnt a boxer. He may easily make a mistake that the experienced Mayweather could capitalise on and thats that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

beakerjoe wrote: »
    A loss doesnt damage Mayweather much as he is coming out of retirement to face arguably the top MMA star. He has to be the fav.

McGregor,if he loses, can have the "hes not a boxer, hes a fighter" to fall back on.

They both win with the pay packets involved. The fight will, as others state, will

Also, Paddy Power seem to have the best odds on Mayweather. 1/8. Clear fav.

Online, they're allowing me a maximum bet of €4,000. Returns €4,500.

An easy way to make €500. If you ahve a spare 4k though

The risk of shenanigans would keep me from getting involved there, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Likewise. It's an exhibition fight whatever way they try and hype it up. Like that time Thunderlips took on Rocky, and he didn't play fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'd love to see Mayweather coming in underestimating Conor's left hand power, and getting KTFO

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I'd love to see Mayweather coming in underestimating Conor's left hand power, and getting KTFO

See id Conor get knocked out, he annoys the fcuk out of me.

Something tells me its a points victory for Mayweather, a long defensive fight that wont justify the hype. Everyone loses except thoughs making money from it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Pentecost wrote: »
    Likewise. It's an exhibition fight whatever way they try and hype it up. Like that time Thunderlips took on Rocky, and he didn't play fair.
    I came into thread just to mention this!
    f16778c4408fe3f5e661f4573e9b2638.jpg

You would just have to favour Floyd for this one. The more experienced boxer who has never been beaten but Conor has a puncher's chance. Think you could get odds of like 33/1 on McGregor to win by KO in the first round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mayweather will dance it the distance and win and say it was close but he'll give Conor a rematch but it will cost twice as much to get him to do it.

Or

He will straight up knock Conor out in the first round just to prove a point.

Or

They get a few WWE agents in to lay out the fight.

It's all a work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

All I want is for it to beat Floyd-Pacman on PPV buys to have yer boxing purists lose the plot. Brings back fond memories of the class Big Show feud tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'd love to see McGregor take him on in a MMA fight, and see him tear Mayweather to pieces.

Angron wrote: »
    I'd love to see McGregor take him on in a MMA fight, and see him tear Mayweather to pieces.

REMATCH, BROTHER!

Vince must be wondering why he didnt get a call to add Roman to the match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I turned the big 19 today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Pentecost wrote: »

Aye but my guess is that they'll map it to look as legitimate as possible. Expect to see both have their moments where they "rattle" each other, but Floyd will ultimately pick up the victory with a shuddering shot....as sure McGregor has already ate a loss so why would he give a **** about taking another one when it's one that's going to make him ridiculous money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I turned the big 19 today!

Happy birthday old man!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pentecost wrote:
    Thunderlips took on Rocky, and he didn't play fair.

I love that Hogan is billed as nearly 400 pounds & 7 feet tall in that. Hulk with some out of character over exaggeration there.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    I love that Hogan is billed as nearly 400 pounds & 7 feet tall in that. Hulk with some out of character over exaggeration there.

Thunderlips is 400 lbs, Terry Bollea is 270 :pac::pac:

Advertisement