Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Kankan14 wrote: »
    What's the haps?

Feels like I've been away forever.

My wife unfortunately passed away earlier this year, so I wasn't around much.
    I've missed this forum ( and FSA too).
    I've had some time to reflect over the past while and I just wanted to say this forum does an awesome job, I hope waning numbers aren't gonna be an issue.

Welcome back and so sorry for your lost, take care

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Kankan14 wrote: »
    @jayk I actually rewatched all the soprano's!

I've never actually watched it! How was the rewatch?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Sorry to hear about your loss KanKan but good to have you back posting here, always a good and nice fellah it'd seem from your posts. Love me some Sopranos although I've now left it a few years since I've watched it through as I had honestly worn the show out I watched it so much when I was younger.

Used to actually rewatch some of my fav shows like that Oz, The West WIng etc pretty regularily but honestly there is just too much good TV these days and as a result even shows which I liked when I tried them I find difficult to finish. For example I still have Narcos, S2, Glow & Legion all sitting on my computer waiting to be finished but just have not been able to get around to it cos of other stuff taking priority... Rick & Morty S3 at the end of this month for example :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,839 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great win for Waterford yesterday, Kilkenny caused us so much hurt in the past and its nice to get over it although we could of easily ****ed it away

Praying that Cork win the Munster final today cause the quarters will be a double header on the 23rd July in Cork. There's speculation that if cork are in the quarters they will be spread out between 2 days (Sat 22nd and Sun 23rd July). I'm going too u2 on the 22nd and don't want too miss the Waterford match if its fixed for the 22nd

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't really watch many "current" shows. Doctor Who is finished until the Christmas special, and that was the only thing on TV here that I'd try to watch live. I'll watch Rick and Morty when that's out for sure.

Meanwhile, for Doctor Who I've been watching the old stuff, currently on season 8 (out of 26). 25-ish minute episodes, and all the seasons up to 22 have between 20 and 30 episodes in them, so there's a lot to get through :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

I wish I had the patience to do that. Out of 159 Classic stories, I've only seen/read 67 of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,763 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Is it just me or is rewatching something better than something new?

Rewatched Love Hate a few weeks back and making my way through Scrubs now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Virtanen wrote: »
    I wish I had the patience to do that. Out of 159 Classic stories, I've only seen/read 67 of them
    The first two incarnations were a bit of a drag because there's so many missing episodes, and I really liked what I saw of the Second Doctor so I was kinda disappointed at missing out on so much of his stuff.

Angron wrote: »
    The first two incarnations were a bit of a drag because there's so many missing episodes, and I really liked what I saw of the Second Doctor so I was kinda disappointed at missing out on so much of his stuff.
    Yeah, retrospectively his era really suffered badly. Broken Matt must have had something against him :D

I've actually grown to love the 1st Doctor on previous attempts to watch everything through. I'd rank him as definitely my favourite Classic Doctor, maybe even favourite of any era

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I've never actually watched it! How was the rewatch?

Its definitely worth a watch it hasn't lost its edge with time.

@BH oz is a cracking show.

I also really liked the first series of true detective.

• Advertisement

Virtanen wrote: »
    Yeah, retrospectively his era really suffered badly. Broken Matt must have had something against him :D

I've actually grown to love the 1st Doctor on previous attempts to watch everything through. I'd rank him as definitely my favourite Classic Doctor, maybe even favourite of any era
    I'm looking forward to getting to the 4th one, as he's the one a lot of people seem to have the fondest memories of.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The Sopranos, along with The West Wing, will always stand the test of time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The Sopranos, along with The West Wing, will always stand the test of time.

Love West Wing. Just finished my forth rewatch. As a writer, I adore it.

Never waned Sopranos. Knowing how it ends has always put me off a bit...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Love West Wing. Just finished my forth rewatch. As a writer, I adore it.

I've watched it through twice, same with Sorkin's other show The Newsroom.

I liked The Sopranos, despite the fade to black ending to Season 6. Still to this day I hate Journey's Don't Stop Believing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lord TSC wrote:

I'm in agreement actually. I watched the Sopranos once and have no interest in rewatching still.

I've rewatched stuff like the Wire, Oz, GOT (each year before the new season) but now I've seen it I'm happy enough.

Have tried 3 times to watch the West Wing and can't get into it for some reason. Just not into political dramas. Same reason I haven't given House of Cards a whirl yet too unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I'm rewatching Bojack Horseman (again) while waiting impatiently for a season 4 announcement. There's shows like that which I love rewatching e.g. Community, Scrubs & Arrested Development but Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad & 24 are the only dramas I've watched again in full. I did rewatch the first season of Heroes when i was in college also which I enjoyed just as much as when it first came out; pity about the rest of it.

Currently watching Narcos which i think is great. I watched the 1st season of Daredevil recently and really enjoyed it but I've no real interest in Jessica Jones or Luke Cage so a bit hesitant about starting them. IZombie's 3rd season not going on Irish Netflix has really annoyed me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The Sopranos is great. I find it hard generally to commit the time to rewatching series, since there's always something new to catch up on. I have watched The Wire through three times though, and most of The Sopranos I've seen twice. Might rewatch Gomorrah too as I'm getting withdrawal symptoms waiting for the next series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Wire is phenomenal. It's not at all "Hollywood" and it's gritty with some excellent authentic characters. It's a little dated now as far as technology goes but at the same time that adds to it as you see the cops and the criminals trying to one up each other as newer technology becomes available. Would highly recommend watching this entire series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

The Wire is great, esp when you look back at how many were virtually unknown actors but now are common names in great series/films.

No matter how many stupid ads Idris Elba makes for Sky, I can't hate him because of that show. (Though those ads test my patients)

Has anyone here ever changed their username?

I was thinking of doing it, always hated my handle on here and was wondering if anyone that has switch felt that it was worth it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

beakerjoe wrote: »

No matter how many stupid ads Idris Elba makes for Sky, I can't hate him because of that show. (Though those ads test my patients)

Congrats on becoming a GP! Maybe change your handle to Dr.Joe!

• Advertisement

I changed mine before, can't really say I've regretted it or anything, I like the one I have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Anyone watch the first Mayweather/McGregor press conference? I was disappointed in Conor's performance. There was one moment where Floyd talked trash about beating him at the event and the only comeback Conor had was "Yeah right".

I thought these would be epic but that was such a lame start. Floyd was on top form with the heel Money persona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Thought it was terrible tbh was expecting it to be entertaining but feels like a waste

Yeah, was a lame duck from showing, especially from McGregor.

But then again there are 3 more to go.. Anyone going to the one in London on the 14th?

This honestly feels more like "sports entertainment" than anything the WWE has produced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,839 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That really wasn't entertaining and McGregor got schooled in trash talking by Money.

If that was supposed to get me to pay to see the fight it didn't work if anything it put me off altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I've watched it through twice, same with Sorkin's other show The Newsroom.

AFter The Social Network and Moneyball I was hoping that The Newsroom would see Sorkin back to his best. But it was really a tough watch. When it was good it was very good, but when it wasn't it was awful!

Jeff Daniels was great in it.

Felt the same about Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip. So many likeable actors, but they were often given SFA to do, and the show was far too interested in lecturing viewers on why comedy is important, than to actually be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip. So many likeable actors, but they were often given SFA to do, and the show was far too interested in lecturing viewers on why comedy is important, than to actually be funny.

I really wanted to love this. Was disapointed it got canned but it was a great concept, with fantastic talent with no direction. It was funny in places but it lack any real drama to invest the viewer.

Then 30 Rock came along and parodied the shyte out of the same idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I really wanted to love this. Was disapointed it got canned but it was a great concept, with fantastic talent with no direction. It was funny in places but it lack any real drama to invest the viewer.

Then 30 Rock came along and parodied the shyte out of the same idea.

30 Rock was great.

If I remember right both Studio 60 and The Newsroom featured a character going off on Network style rants in their opening episodes, both of which were great, then neither series could live up to the rants.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Felt the same about Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip. So many likeable actors, but they were often given SFA to do, and the show was far too interested in lecturing viewers on why comedy is important, than to actually be funny.

I absolutely adore Studio 60, but I well aware a massive part of that is because it was my first Sorkin show. I spotted an ad one night on TV3 for a new show starring Chandler from friends, and gave it a try. Instantly fell in love with Sorkin's writing; he's one of my main inspirations (writing wise, not so much with the drugs and such :P) when it comes to dialogue. But it did have its flaws; for one, the skits they showed were never funny, and so weren't believable as "ground breaking", something they realised as it went on, hence why we never (iirc) see Crazy Christians.

Actually, given I just finished West Wing, I guess its time for a Studio 60 runthrough :D

24 hours since I left the house I was staying in in Florida but back home again :(

Advertisement