Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ERG89 wrote: »
    If you paid for the telltale bundle they are now giving Wolf Among Us, Walking Dead 400 Days, Sam & Max: Devil's Playhouse and the admittedly dire Jurassic Park game in it too.
    For 8 quid it's a snip.

I didn't know there was a Jurrasic Park Telltale game :O Though, yeah, reviews look dreadful.

As an update then (if people don't want to splash out the cash, even though its for charity), I've got the following steam keys still available.

Game of Thrones
    Wolf Amoung Us
    Walking Dead 400 Days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,322 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    But he's a wrestler, Actor and build like a superhero ???. How would he maintain his physique if he was running the free world ?

I'd say cast him in a presidential role in some movie and we see is he cut out???

Imagine Prince Philip and Little Micky meeting him good god it would be delightful

I read imagine Prince Philip and his Little Mickey :o:p specsavers for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Interesting to see a few of you learning Spanish. I've been doing the same the last few months. Check out Spanish With Paul on Youtube. He's an Australian guy I think, who uploads videos every Monday. I find him very good. Also like a chap called Professor Jason on Youtube who deals with the grammar stuff pretty thoroughly.

I really like the language. I wish I had a chance to learn it in school (had to do French.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Same as that MNG, made to do French in school. I did it at higher level for 5 years and can't speak a lick of it. I'm fact, from what I've picked up myself and learned in 5 weeks of classes, I've far more Spanish. I'm going over to Spain in September and am really gonna make an effort to speak fcuk all English to the local folks. It's exciting actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Omackeral wrote: »
    Same as that MNG, made to do French in school. I did it at higher level for 5 years and can't speak a lick of it. I'm fact, from what I've picked up myself and learned in 5 weeks of classes, I've far more Spanish. I'm going over to Spain in September and am really gonna make an effort to speak fcuk all English to the local folks. It's exciting actually :)
    When you go to Spain your Spanish will improve leaps and bounds. There's nothing like conversing with the natives to pick up a language IMO. I can speak Italian and mandarin that way as opposed to 5 years of German(hl) and I also haven't a Scooby how to hold a simple chat in German

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Omackeral wrote: »

We had the choice of French or German for LC. I did French and like you can speak feck all. Maybe I'll go back to it when I've mastered Spanish. This time next year Rodders we'll be trilingual :cool:

Off topic (WWE related) story for the PW board if you've a few minutes to kill...

I was doing a short tour of Scotland last November with a tribute band I play in. On the night we were playing Glasgow, we were loading out our gear after the gig and one of the doormen came over to us for a quick chat.

He was asking if any of us were into the WWE. I told him I was mad into it at one stage, but wouldn't be too up-to-date with it nowadays. He said that a guy and a girl came up looking to get into the gig not long after it started, but it was sold-out so there was nothing the doorman could really do. He got chatting to them for a few minutes, and the guy revealed that he worked for the WWE and was over in Scotland doing some media for an upcoming WWE show. This is where the doorman embraced an opportunity through the lost art of bartering.

The Glaswegian doorman offered the WWE guy and his friend free entry in to our gig, in exchange for two free passes for that upcoming WWE show in Glasgow for himself. We were amused as he was telling us all this, all of us in the band WWE/WWF fans at some stage in our lives, and we left Glasgow that night wondering who the f*ck from WWE was at our gig?!

Eight months or so pass and it's well-forgotten about until we get a message on the band page yesterday. "You guys got a mention on WWE network's Table for 3 last night!". Now, about this particular band, it's a tribute to Pearl Jam, a pretty great fúcking rock band. Our own name is Pearl Jem, and this has lead to some confusion in the past: Pearl Jam's lead singer Eddie Vedder made some "war's not good" comments a few Summers ago when the Middle East tensions were extremely hot. We awoke to a mailbox of hate and death threats on our tribute page the following day, like "You will burn in Allah's fire" level of stuff. So it's not uncommon for confusion to occur.

Just for the craic, I went onto Youtube and found the latest episode of Table For 3. I've never seen this show before, great idea and shame it wasn't around when I was an avid WWE fan. There's Lita, Renee Young and Corey Graves on it, the last two I've never heard of before. I flicked through it with an ear open to hear them talking about anything musical. As I expected, Corey Graves mentions that he was at a Pearl Jam show before. "Ah right, another case of confusion" is what I think.

Then, Corey Graves follows with "I'm not even that huge a Pearl Jam fan", and Renee Young cuts in with "except for when you and I got to see them in Glasgow". Corey responds with "well that was Pearl JEM, Scotland's greatest cover band". And then they all have a giggle, including Lita.:eek:

Well, I got to find out that the Glasgow door man wasn't taking the piss. I got to find out who the WWE personalities were, not that I recognise them, they are from after my time (like I was expecting The Undertaker and Stone Cold to have been the elusive pair in Glasgow that freezing November Sunday night!). Apart from finding out if the doorman actually got to attend that Glasgow WWE show, I got closure to something I didn't think I needed closure to.

I didn't get to do an elbow from the top rope in front of 70,000 in the main event at Wrestlemania like I dreamed of, a lot, earlier in my life, but in the end a band I do love being a part of got a mention on the WWE Network. Plus it all lead to an adorable giggle out of Lita. That'll do Pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Off topic (WWE related) story for the PW board if you've a few minutes to kill...

I was doing a short tour of Scotland last November with a tribute band I play in. On the night we were playing Glasgow, we were loading out our gear after the gig and one of the doormen came over to us for a quick chat.

He was asking if any of us were into the WWE. I told him I was mad into it at one stage, but wouldn't be too up-to-date with it nowadays. He said that a guy and a girl came up looking to get into the gig not long after it started, but it was sold-out so there was nothing the doorman could really do. He got chatting to them for a few minutes, and the guy revealed that he worked for the WWE and was over in Scotland doing some media for an upcoming WWE show. This is where the doorman embraced an opportunity through the lost art of bartering.

The Glaswegian doorman offered the WWE guy and his friend free entry in to our gig, in exchange for two free passes for that upcoming WWE show in Glasgow for himself. We were amused as he was telling us all this, all of us in the band WWE/WWF fans at some stage in our lives, and we left Glasgow that night wondering who the f*ck from WWE was at our gig?!

Eight months or so pass and it's well-forgotten about until we get a message on the band page yesterday. "You guys got a mention on WWE network's Table for 3 last night!". Now, about this particular band, it's a tribute to Pearl Jam, a pretty great fúcking rock band. Our own name is Pearl Jem, and this has lead to some confusion in the past: Pearl Jam's lead singer Eddie Vedder made some "war's not good" comments a few Summers ago when the Middle East tensions were extremely hot. We awoke to a mailbox of hate and death threats on our tribute page the following day, like "You will burn in Allah's fire" level of stuff. So it's not uncommon for confusion to occur.

Just for the craic, I went onto Youtube and found the latest episode of Table For 3. I've never seen this show before, great idea and shame it wasn't around when I was an avid WWE fan. There's Lita, Renee Young and Corey Graves on it, the last two I've never heard of before. I flicked through it with an ear open to hear them talking about anything musical. As I expected, Corey Graves mentions that he was at a Pearl Jam show before. "Ah right, another case of confusion" is what I think.

Then, Corey Graves follows with "I'm not even that huge a Pearl Jam fan", and Renee Young cuts in with "except for when you and I got to see them in Glasgow". Corey responds with "well that was Pearl JEM, Scotland's greatest cover band". And then they all have a giggle, including Lita.:eek:

Well, I got to find out that the Glasgow door man wasn't taking the piss. I got to find out who the WWE personalities were, not that I recognise them, they are from after my time (like I was expecting The Undertaker and Stone Cold to have been the elusive pair in Glasgow that freezing November Sunday night!). Apart from finding out if the doorman actually got to attend that Glasgow WWE show, I got closure to something I didn't think I needed closure to.

I didn't get to do an elbow from the top rope in front of 70,000 in the main event at Wrestlemania like I dreamed of, a lot, earlier in my life, but in the end a band I do love being a part of got a mention on the WWE Network. Plus it all lead to an adorable giggle out of Lita. That'll do Pig.

This is a pretty cool ****ing read..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's awesome man. Enjoyed reading that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,838 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What's your favourite one hit wonder ???

Mine is More Than Words by Extreme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What's your favourite one hit wonder ???

Mine is More Than Words by Extreme

There's so many.

The 90s were an incredible year for one hit wonders

Save Tonight - Eagle Eye Cherry
    Breakfast at Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something
    How Bizarre - OMC
    Steal My Sunshine - Len
    Jump Around - House of pain
    You get What you Give - New Radicals
    What is Love - Haddaway
    Tubthumping - Chumbawamba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,838 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    There's so many.

The 90s were an incredible year for one hit wonders

Save Tonight - Eagle Eye Cherry
    Breakfast at Tiffany's - Deep Blue Something
    How Bizarre - OMC
    Steal My Sunshine - Len
    Jump Around - House of pain
    You get What you Give - New Radicals
    What is Love - Haddaway
    Tubthumping - Chumbawamba

That's a good few songs there

The music of 2000's doesn't have a patch on the music of the 80's and 90's.

Listening to a one hit wonder playlist on Spotify now

Few more
    Closing time -semisonic
    Amazed -Lonestar
    Unelieveable-emf

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Its pretty hard to beat You Get What You Give, great tune.

I'd also throw Teenage Dirtbag and Tainted Love into the discussion. Make an arguement for Video Killed The Radio Star too.

The ones gerry mentioned came to mind for me too. I also thought of Spaceman by Babylon Zoo which was a 90s favourite of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,260 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll be that guy that points out other known songs by those artists like Eagle Eye Cherry's Falling in Love Again and Semisonic's Secret Smile. :)

Of course have to also suggest Chesney Hawkes One and Only.
    Have Sixpence None the richer done anything apart from Kiss Me?

CastorTroy wrote: »

They did a cover of There She Goes but I much prefer the original by The La's.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I'll be that guy that points out other known songs by those artists like Eagle Eye Cherry's Falling in Love Again and Semisonic's Secret Smile. :)

Of course have to also suggest Chesney Hawkes One and Only.

I didn't want to be that guy, but 'Falling in Love Again' and 'Closing Time' are great tunes. Plus Semisonic also had that a hit with that song 'Chemistry'. New Radicals (You Get What You Give) had another hit (not as big) with a nice ballad called 'Someday We'll Know', worth checking out for those who liked 'You Get What You Give'.

But yeah, all those songs mentioned are technically one-hit wonders, even if a minority of listeners are quite familiar with their other songs. The bands/artists had a huge hit single which forced its way into the mainstream's hearts and minds, then the band/artist quit shortly after.

Also, Castor Troy, I wanted to BE Chesney Hawkes when that song came out :pac: A true one-hit wonder, even if I can remember one of his other tunes!

For my own two cents, I'll go with something old and something new...

That song is so anthemic and catchy, that when it blasts into a f*cking bagpipes solo halfway through, it just seems natural and you go with it easily :pac:

I don't mind admitting, I thought this song was brilliant when it came out and still do. For what it is, it's an excellent break-up song with lyrics that resonate and some amazing melodic hooks. Yes, it did rip-off 'Ba Ba Black Sheep' on the intro, but it all contributes to a great pop song. I was quite disappointed when I got the album and there was absolutely nothing else on it that came close to the single. 3-4 years later, we haven't heard any more from Gotye, but he caught lightning in a bottle with that song IMO.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Wow, that worked quick! The Sexy Brutale (was €20, now €14.35) https://2game.com/the-sexy-brutale

Still looking?
    9.99 on Steam now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,837 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jon Jones called out Brock last night how long before Brock drops the title and returns to the UFC?

Now I'd pay to see that compared to McGregor vs Mayweather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Sky Box Office have announced they are showing the McGregor/Mayweather fight. €24.99

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Sky Box Office have announced they are showing the McGregor/Mayweather fight. €24.99

You mean it's not going to be €129 the click bait articles we're claiming it would be.

You mean to tell me websites exaggerate headline to raise traffic.

I am shocked, on a side note for more information on the rumour Conor McGregor's next opponent after Mayweather will be Santa Claus please visit the Christmas forum.

You saying you don't have 10 reasons they're fighting? I couldn't believe number 6 (she may have been hot, but she was a cylon)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Loughc wrote: »
    You mean it's not going to be €129 the click bait articles we're claiming it would be.

You mean to tell me websites exaggerate headline to raise traffic.

I am shocked, on a side note for more information on the rumour Conor McGregor's next opponent after Mayweather will be Santa Claus please visit the Christmas forum.

That'll be over in a round after Claus has his bells jingled by McGregor :pac::pac:

Cracking Christmas jokes in July, that's a new low for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,837 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

AC Jimbo is leaving Football Weekly The End is Nigh.

I've set up a fantasy football league for the wrestling forum for the Fantasy Premier League site. Here is the code to enter for anyone interested:

1612825-388430

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

I've set up a fantasy football league for the wrestling forum for the Fantasy Premier League site. Here is the code to enter for anyone interested:

1612825-388430

In obviously. Are you running a PW one this year. I've a lot of free time nowadays to study my transfers lol.

Kankan14 wrote: »
    In obviously. Are you running a PW one this year. I've a lot of free time nowadays to study my transfers lol.

Yeah I plan on starting that pretty soon. Hopefully we can get most players from last year back playing and maybe a few new ones too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yeah I plan on starting that pretty soon. Hopefully we can get most players from last year back playing and maybe a few new ones too.

I'll be up for joining in this year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

1612825-388430
    Thanks for that, just joined there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I'll join this evening, be semi-interested till mid-september and then when I've had a **** start, I'll likely give up :P

Advertisement