Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,837 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The wreckage of USS Indianapolis has been found.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40991326

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,833 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Prob won't watch the boxing live but the first thing I'll do when I wake up Sunday morning is go into Kodi and find a copy of it (won't check any social media) and watch it. Can't justify paying €25 for it

The die hard McGregor fans are jetting off in the next few days. Where do they get the cash out of. Same lads travel to all his fights all over the world

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

It's embarrassing how many chances Dana gives him only to have it thrown right back at him

Are they really that desperate for the PPV money that they'll give him every chance he wants, regardless of the repercussions?

They can just copy/paste all of his previous 'redemption' video packages for his inevitable return :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Virtanen wrote: »
    It's embarrassing how many chances Dana gives him only to have it thrown right back at him

Are they really that desperate for the PPV money that they'll give him every chance he wants, regardless of the repercussions?

They can just copy/paste all of his previous 'redemption' video packages for his inevitable return :rolleyes:

Apparently this suspension will be 4 years so I don't think there'll be a comeback this time from him. Dana has to be done with him now.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    Apparently this suspension will be 4 years so I don't think there'll be a comeback this time from him. Dana has to be done with him now.

Could he move into pro wrestling??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Could he move into pro wrestling??

Lesnar vs Jones @ Mania confirmed!

You have to feel for Cormier his only two loses in MMA are to Jones.

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Lesnar vs Jones @ Mania confirmed!

usa_today_10186476.0.jpg

bit small for Vince lol

You have to feel for Cormier his only two loses in MMA are to Jones.

Cheated out of two wins, Cormier definitely gets all the sympathy..

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    usa_today_10186476.0.jpg

bit small for Vince lol

He's 6' 3'', not exactly small.

What time is the fight expected to start Irish time?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

What time is the fight expected to start Irish time?

Around 4am I think.

I'm out, see ya in 2 weeks folks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not going to see the fight live, so gonna have to go dark on the net tomorrow. :P

I respect McGregor's ability to make money but god I hope he get knocked the fcuk out in the first round.

Just have a feeling Mayweather will dance for the whole fight and take in on points setting up a rematch for both of them to make more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I expect a run in from Dana White while the ref's distracted but he attacks McGregor, leading to a Mayweather win. And that's how the rematch will happen. I'll watch in the morning when I get up. Will just need to find it without hitting anywhere that may give spoilers. Then repeat the process Monday for the GoT finale, though I have to avoid spoilers til Monday night for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,317 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'd love Conor to win but I do think this fight's outcome has already been pre decided

Feck it going to try and stay up for it, it's a once in a lifetime event (well they said the same about Cena vs rock but ya knw lol). Hopefully i find a good stream

Congrats too mayo today. I think they will do everything in there power too win this final and I'm hoping they do.

Can't wait for next Weekend Ireland vs Georgia Saturday and then the big one the All Ireland hurling final on the Sunday, praying Waterford finally do it but will be happy for Galway if they prove to be the better team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I had a nap earlier to try and improve my chances of staying awake for this. A while back I tried to stay up for Jones vs Cormier in the UFC but I ended up falling asleep before the main event. I only got an hour of sleep in my nap tonight though so I'm not sure how helpful that will be. :pac:

With regards the fight, as much as I'd love to see McGregor win and the whole world to go totally bonkers, I just can't see it happening. McGregor has defied my predictions in the past but I would be really gobsmacked if Floyd loses this.

I think it will be riveting viewing nonetheless and I'm super excited to see how the whole thing ends.

• Advertisement

Mayweather in the third round but McGregor to put it up to him

It will end with a big hug and they will both talk about how much they respect each other and will be the best of friends for life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The Rock is narrating the intro to the fight.

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/901573770653175809

Stayed up and before the McGregor fight started the stream I was watching started acting up and I only saw bits of the match. Pissed off have a good sleep everyone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As the title now says SPOILERS!!!!

Probably the ideal outcome for both guys.

McGregor comes out looking strong. He stood up to arguably the best ever boxer (50-0), probably took the first few rounds for sure (edit, now that I see the points cards apparently the judges didnt fully agree with everyone around me), landed plenty of shots (when many people predicted he wouldn't even touch Floyd), didn't get knocked off his feet and was even able to give a decent promo afterwards. Meanwhile Floyd obviously gets to get to 50-0, won relatively comfortably in the end and will retire again undefeated while being able to big up that it was always his gameplan to let Conor come at him early on (and in doing so say thats the only reason McG hit him so much then).

4399F23C00000578-4826854-The_official_scorecards_All_three_judges_had_Mayweather_ahead_of-a-11_1503812237079.jpg

I'd have scored it closer to the first judge. Clearly Mayweathers fight and the gameplan was always that the longer it went on the better he'd do but McG did better than many pro boxers have against Floyd in the past so fair play.

Now back to MMA please Conor, I know youve made your money but I'm sure we will get at least 2 more fights out of him. A title defense and the Diaz trilogy fight minimum

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That bout must be the greatest work ever?

Based on media attention and coverage this morning, they did a great job of hyping the event. Well done to them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know nothing about boxing so can't comment on points and stuff.

I thought McGregor looked good for the first few rounds, but felt like Mayweather was so intelligent in how he fought. He was happy to let McG tire himself out over the first few rounds, kept dipping the head and letting McG's MMA instincts get him telling offs from the ref. Bided his time and when McG hit the 8th round and was very obviously exhausted, just unloaded.

McGregor can be proud of the performance, all things considered. He lasted longer than a non-boxer has any right too. Mayweather wouldn't last a fraction of the relative time in an octagon.

Mayweather does what Mayweather does he takes boxers deep into a fight and then just out boxes them.

Mayweather isn't called money for no reason he gives the fans value for money while making that money for himself if he was a quick knockout fighter people would have bored of that quickly.

As he is a fighter who goes the distance that it gives fan the idea that he can be beaten by someone and he uses that to his advantage.

I really wouldn't surprised if they double their money in a rematch as you will hear Connor did well Connor landed some good shots Connor isn't used to boxing rounds etc etc the hype will start soon.

thought mayweather was only in 2nd gear and could of moved up to top gear if he needed. still Mcgregor done well and should be proud of his effort. I imagine connor will take a break and may fight in the UFC early 2018 ???

I wonder was it worth it for all those that payed the high ticket price ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

PTH2009 wrote:
    thought mayweather was only in 2nd gear and could of moved up to top gear if he needed. still Mcgregor done well and should be proud of his effort. I imagine connor will take a break and may fight in the UFC early 2018 ???

Yeah would agree with your assessment on the fight tbh. Conor had some early success and probably won the first 3 rounds (maybe 4?) But then gassed badly and played straight into Mayweathers hands. Went exactly as I figured it would although I reckoned it would have gone the distance pre fight.

Regards the UFC he probably has maybe 2 fights left and that's about it.
    Diaz 3 is the most money and probably the logical fight but I expect he'll have to defend the belt against Ferguson first.

I'd like to see an Aldo or Holloway rematch at lightweight but I don't think this happens ever.
    Holloway doesn't draw enough for it to be an option and Aldo won't be moving up any time soon. Conor is never going back to FW so it would be too much on his terms for Aldo I reckon as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,215 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He won the first 2 rounds and that's only because Mayweather literally did nothing and scouted him.

Advertisement