Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Awesome. The gearbox on my car just died :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Awesome. The gearbox on my car just died :(

My clucth went 2 weeks ago i feel your pain completely sadly mine just died when i was on the the motorway miles away from any garage

sky88 wrote: »
    My clucth went 2 weeks ago i feel your pain completely sadly mine just died when i was on the the motorway miles away from any garage

Yeah. I got "lucky" mine went as I pulled back into my estate coming home from the shop, so We were able to hop out and push it the 100 feet or so back to he house.

The car is 15 years old and we've known for a while it was on its last legs, but it really sucks from a financial point of view. Garage said it'll be tomorrow evening before they can look at it, so having to shop for rentals now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭Ruat Caelum

I don't think it's fair to say that McGregor did himself proud. This was an exhibition fight, thought it was quite obvious that Mayweather made nearly no effort at all. McGregor managed to tire himself out for the most part. From round 6 onwards Mayweather could have ended it at any stage. But no, McGregor tired himself out, and neither boxer came out with much of a mark on themselves.

The only way I would've said that McGregor could do himself proud would have been if had found a way to make the fight someway competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I don't think it's fair to say that McGregor did himself proud. This was an exhibition fight, thought it was quite obvious that Mayweather made nearly no effort at all. McGregor managed to tire himself out for the most part. From round 6 onwards Mayweather could have ended it at any stage. But no, McGregor tired himself out, and neither boxer came out with much of a mark on themselves.

The only way I would've said that McGregor could do himself proud would have been if had found a way to make the fight someway competitive.
    Round 6 onwards? Clearly you didn't see round 8, or your bias wouldn't allow you to see how close round 8 was. For the first three rounds, Floyd didn't know how he could punch effectively against him as well as wanting to tire Conor out. I think Conor did quite well but his cardio seriously let himself down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Has anyone here made their own website got their own domain etc...

I'm slowly starting to put a blog and video posts together and would like to at some point develop into something that could make money. Who knows.

It's just when it comes to online stuff I have zero capabilities, or knowledge. Would anyone know the best places to get hosting or simple web design

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,315 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Boards playing up again for anyone else, sick of seeing 500s errors :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Has anyone here made their own website got their own domain etc...

I'm slowly starting to put a blog and video posts together and would like to at some point develop into something that could make money. Who knows.

It's just when it comes to online stuff I have zero capabilities, or knowledge. Would anyone know the best places to get hosting or simple web design

Host gator for hosting. Pretty cheap. Name cheap for your site name. And you can't go wrong with WordPress for ease of design for websites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Host gator for hosting. Pretty cheap. Name cheap for your site name. And you can't go wrong with WordPress for ease of design for websites

Thanks a million

Unreal. Enterprise won't rent me a car, despite me having the money, cause I have a bank debit card, not a credit card, and I'm self employed so don't have a payslip. That's messed me up today.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lord TSC wrote:
    Unreal. Enterprise won't rent me a car, despite me having the money, cause I have a bank debit card, not a credit card, and I'm self employed so don't have a payslip. That's messed me up today.

I know. It sucks that you have to own a piece of plastic these days that could potentially put you into 1000's of debt just to rent a car. I cut up my own credit cards once paid off about 4 years ago and haven't missed them at all.

I've never really needed a credit card up till now, cause I try to avoid debts like that. Whenever I want something, I have the cash on hand, and Enterprise were more than happy to take the debit card last night when I paid in full for the rental. I know its probably in case I wreck or steal the car (I'm in Drogheda, after all) but its incredibly frustrating. They want a credit card cause I'm self-employed, but no one would give me a credit card BECAUSE I'm self-employed, even if I wanted one :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lord TSC wrote:
    I've never really needed a credit card up till now, cause I try to avoid debts like that. Whenever I want something, I have the cash on hand, and Enterprise were more than happy to take the debit card last night when I paid in full for the rental. I know its probably in case I wreck or steal the car (I'm in Drogheda, after all) but its incredibly frustrating. They want a credit card cause I'm self-employed, but no one would give me a credit card BECAUSE I'm self-employed, even if I wanted one :/

From my understanding of it they require a credit card so they can pre authorize an exorbitant amount of money as a security deposit. They can't do that with debit cards so they won't accept them.

Necrominus wrote: »
    From my understanding of it they require a credit card so they can pre authorize an exorbitant amount of money as a security deposit. They can't do that with debit cards so they won't accept them.

Yeah.

What frustrated me this morning is I never even considered the possibility they wouldn't take it, cause I've rented with them abroad countless times with no issues :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Jeez, that's very frustrating. It's been a long time since I've heard a debit card (which you use on the internet/IRL as a credit card) being no good. Sheesh. Maybe other car hire places don't have such a BS rule?

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Jeez, that's very frustrating. It's been a long time since I've heard a debit card (which you use on the internet/IRL as a credit card) being no good. Sheesh. Maybe other car hire places don't have such a BS rule?

There's two rental groups in Drogheda; Enterprise and Europcar.

Luckily, I know someone who knew someone in Europcar who was willing to do a deal and take the debit card, so I'm set for a few days anyway now.

glad it ended well mate. That's so frustrating when services won't take your money! :rolleyes::o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

jaykhunter wrote: »
    glad it ended well mate. That's so frustrating when services won't take your money! :rolleyes::o
    For some reason, Terry Funk's voice is in my head :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

So a couple of weeks ago I started a football podcast with a friend of mine. Would appreciate it if you all could give it a listen and let me know what you think.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-918232988/episode-5-arsenal-a-shambles-liverpool-dominate-united-chelsea-city-all-win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,837 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dana White is saying the fight drew 6.5m PPV buys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone know if you can recover data from a PlayStation hard drive after formatting?

cena wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can recover data from a PlayStation hard drive after formatting?

Signing into your PS account should give u access to your downloaded games/trophies etc. I hope you've been using when connected to the net. This any good?

https://www.easeus.com/file-recovery/recover-lost-ps4-game-files.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,837 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dana White is saying the fight drew 6.5m PPV buys.

Dana doing a Vince with his buyrates :pac:

Showtime say it is on course to come close to the mid 4m range and get close to the current PPV record holder Mayweather vs Pacquiao which drew 4.6m.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Galway, All Ireland Hurling Champions, has a nice ring to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

I know it's ages old at this point, but after finally catching up on my Maffew, I marked the hell out of the Joe's Apartment reference.

https://twitter.com/maffewgregg/status/852495829017518082

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,833 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

anyone else have this problem with Spotify on there android phones ???

I have a custom playlist of 340 songs and when i press shuffle the same songs play the whole time. in other words it doesnt randomize the playlist much. It can get annoying

Love the app, i remember the old days of where we had to download tracks one by one (from certain programmes) and then burn to cds and rip onto our mp3 players/ipods. It took hours and hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,215 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You on free or paid? Got a huge playlist too and I'm a freeloader and sometimes notice the same thing.

I assume it's Spotify's secret way of annoying you into signing up to premium.

You'll never get me, Spotify. You hear me? Never!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,833 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

J. Marston wrote: »
    You on free or paid? Got a huge playlist too and I'm a freeloader and sometimes notice the same thing.

I assume it's Spotify's secret way of annoying you into signing up to premium.

You'll never get me, Spotify. You hear me? Never!

Premium think it's €10 A month

Have free data so suites me perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,259 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just recently started Lucha Underground a few episodes ago and was wondering, what are the medallions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

According to TMZ, country singer Don Williams has passed away.

Advertisement