Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

If you have hatches, batten them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Arra it’s just a bit of a breeze lads it’ll be grand.

I’m actually half expecting chaos when it hits Dublin in the afternoon/evening seeing as nobody seems to be planning that far ahead. All the talk is about transport in the morning which should be ok but people have to get home as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

pffft Ireland doesn't get extreme weather at all. Just finished what some people call Typhoon season here.

Generally we don’t but that makes it all the more dangerous when major events do come along because we have no experience of them. This is the most powerful storm to hit the country for 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pentecost wrote:
    Generally we don’t but that makes it all the more dangerous when major events do come along because we have no experience of them. This is the most powerful storm to hit the country for 50 years.

The biggest worry is how pathetically bad we are at reacting to stuff like snow & flooding so if it's bad we might be slow to get things going again so to speak.
    Although I hope it won't be obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Graham Linehan quit Twitter :eek:

He along with Stephen Fry were probably the first two celebrity early adopters that helped promote Twitter into what it is today.

His final tweet.
    “Final thoughts: Repeal The Eighth. Punch Nazis. Support women. Black lives matter. Seinfeld was better than Curb.”

He had posted close to 150k tweets since he started.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It's ironic as I only unfollowed him on twitter a few weeks back. Like many, he had/has become a broken record with the anti-trump stuff, repeal the 8th and all that jazz.

For so many with a platform it is now a competition to be the most viturous and then shove it down everyone's throats.

He'll be back. This has been done by many before (Caitlin Moran being one). Their vanity will lead them back because "how could twitter actually function without me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

No college tomorrow, lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

No college tomorrow, lovely stuff.

I'm still waiting to find out, though am just tempted to take a Homer Simpson duvet day tomorrow...

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to find out, though am just tempted to take a Homer Simpson duvet day tomorrow...

And I'm off. Plan for tomorrow.

3e3b36aa1c1f20bccd7d26a4af439515--the-simpsons-simpsons-quotes.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Code Red has been declared country wide now. Department of Education advising all schools to shut down.

It's all a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Buying milk in the shops earlier and people were stocking up on lots of stuff.

Hopefully there's no injuries or worse in the days ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

My office has closed down for the day tomorrow now as well hopefully everyone stays safe

• Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Our office is still open tomorrow and I hate you all.

I'm in Dublin. Looks like buses will be running in the morning until 9.00am and back on after after 6.00pm so it looks like I'll have to work a normal full day. Just won't be able to go outside at all which I don't often do anyway. So as long as my house is still standing when I get back I don't think I'm going to be impacted much. Might have had an excuse not to go in if there were no buses in the morning. Bit disappointing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I had tomorrow booked off since last week so selfishly, i was happy to get the text saying the office would open as normal

Spent all day warning mom today would be bad and she was like "no, it won't".

Now, at 9:50, now it's hit how bad this is and she wants to go to the shop....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Every shop on o connel St in limerick is closed. Tesco included. Seems this may get a little bit messy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Hey all, a little bit of promotion going on here. As you probably know I like to talk about and play Werewolf over on the Forum Games forum here on Boards, along with a couple of other regulars of the PW Forum.

Next month, two of the lads here are running a PW themed game - but I'll leave that shameless self promotion to them:D:D

If you'd like to get some practice in before that big event, we still have some slots left for the upcoming Buffy themed game this coming Sunday. Sign up thread in my sig or below:

Werewolf XVIII - Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Any queries you have on the game can be asked here or for a basic rundown you can check out this thread:

What is Werewolf

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Day off work so prob watch a few movies

Watching Fantastic beasts now

Wind is belting it here in Waterford

Looking forward too the playoffs draw 2morrow and an ideal draw would be Denmark away leg first but have a feeling were getting Croatia

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Shocked to hear about that. Liked Sean's Show when younger and most recently saw him do a gig up here. Was really funny.

Pentecost wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin. Looks like buses will be running in the morning until 9.00am and back on after after 6.00pm so it looks like I'll have to work a normal full day. Just won't be able to go outside at all which I don't often do anyway. So as long as my house is still standing when I get back I don't think I'm going to be impacted much. Might have had an excuse not to go in if there were no buses in the morning. Bit disappointing tbh.

As it turns out along with anyone else that made it in I was sent home before 10. It's not really that bad here (still time yet I suppose) but the city was shut down by lunch time. No remote access for me so sadly I was unable to do any more work. Might cost me a day's leave yet though as some were working from home but I don't mind that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Things get hairy in Sligo now. 2 trees leaning badly now. Neighbour's shed might bear the brunt of that if they both go

They're saying 4-6 is danger time for Dublin and that area.

Lights just flickered on and off here in Drogheda. There's 350000 homes without power. Hoping I don't join that number :(

It's gotten eerily quiet here..

ESB are reporting it could be up to 10 days before they have power restored to the whole country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Trying to work that werewolf game out (tempted to look into it before but a WWE theme has me checking it out now). Sounds straight forward enough then I check the forum where I guess it's played (or at least archives of previous games) and I can't work out what the hell is going on, loads of folk in different threads talking to each other about who should be killed but ive no idea what they are basing that off nor where the main non side discussion part of the game is being played.

Hope everyone keeps safe back there. Got a bit too used to telling people that Ireland doesn't have extreme weather conditions compared to places nearer here (Typhoons, eathquakes etc) that I probably didn't realize how bad it actually is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP

Why are idiots going swimming and taking coastal selfies in this weather, putting their lives and also rescuers in danger

Advertisement