Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Trying to work that werewolf game out (tempted to look into it before but a WWE theme has me checking it out now). Sounds straight forward enough then I check the forum where I guess it's played (or at least archives of previous games) and I can't work out what the hell is going on, loads of folk in different threads talking to each other about who should be killed but ive no idea what they are basing that off nor where the main non side discussion part of the game is being played.

The roled characters as they are known have private threads on a different site for their own thoughts etc.
    Truthfully it's mostly about accusing people and seeing how they react a lot of the time. (And GIFs, memes etc :D)

If you're a villager it can be very difficult sometimes to deduce the wolves. Then other times it can be easy. Depends on the players but a lot of it is gut and guess work.

It's amazing fun as the guys here will testify and the game when you play it just sucks you in completely.

Only started myself a few months back and I'm terrible at it but keep coming back as I'm addicted!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,709 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The journalist who broke the Panama Papers corruption story last year has just been murdered in a car bomb in Malta.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Necrominus wrote: »
    The roled characters as they are known have private threads on a different site for their own thoughts etc.
    Truthfully it's mostly about accusing people and seeing how they react a lot of the time. (And GIFs, memes etc :D)

If you're a villager it can be very difficult sometimes to deduce the wolves. Then other times it can be easy. Depends on the players but a lot of it is gut and guess work.

It's amazing fun as the guys here will testify and the game when you play it just sucks you in completely.

Only started myself a few months back and I'm terrible at it but keep coming back as I'm addicted!

Played the card version a few times myself but can't get the hang of the boards version but might try it sometime

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Played the card version a few times myself but can't get the hang of the boards version but might try it sometime

No time like the present ;) Game starting on 22nd October still a few days to sign up yet if you want!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

It's me and beaker running the WWE game in November, and we've got some fun planned.

I adore Werewolf. It's amazing fun (Pugh I'm useless at it :P). It can be quiet overwhaelming and time consuming, but once you get the hang of it, it's so, so much fun. And the lads and lasses playing are great people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I kept up with the werewolf game a couple months ago (the one were Beakerjoe caused disarray, Simpsons I think) and it seemed like great craic. Never got involved though, seems like a massive time commitment is needed to do it properly. Might have to consider a wrestling themed one though

I kept up with the werewolf game a couple months ago (the one were Beakerjoe caused disarray, Simpsons I think) and it seemed like great craic. Never got involved though, seems like a massive time commitment is needed to do it properly. Might have to consider a wrestling themed one though

The monthly games are time consuming for sure. We also run one night (condensed) versions of the game which aren't as much of a commitment. They're good practice for a full run if nothing else.

They're also stripped back to basic roles (vanilla) and are a nice way to pick up the game without giving up a week of your time.

I'm actually running one with 2 others from the forum, the week after the Buffy game. More than welcome to sign up for a taster if you like. Sign up thread will go live probably after the full game concludes so in about a little under 2 weeks.

(Of course, you're still welcome to sign up for Buffy too if you like :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Ah shure I'll give it a go

I've actually just started watching Angel for the first time, so any excuse to get more Buffyverse in my life

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Virtanen wrote: »
    Ah shure I'll give it a go

I've actually just started watching Angel for the first time, so any excuse to get more Buffyverse in my life

I love Angel. Hope you enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Loved angel when it was first aired i think a rewatch is in order since ive never rewatched

• Advertisement

Could someone post up a link too an old full game on here so newbies could look and get an idea for it??

Could someone post up a link too an old full game on here so newbies could look and get an idea for it??

Here's the most recent game. The most important thing you have to pay attention to is the OP for each game which will contain the roles, the rules and of course some flavour.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057789881/1

Once this is posted (usually the day before the game) we tend to have a discussion on rules and the game mods will answer any questions the players have about the game (if they can, without spoiling the game).

Sometime on the day of the game (usually morning or early afternoon) the game mods will send out PMs to all the players containing their role, lynch form details (where you vote each night to kill off a player) and any other information they might need (backroom accounts, anonymous accounts if used).

Once these are sent it's game on (usually announced by the game mods (not to be confused with boards mods)).

Hope this is helpful!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Very helpful, think I'll give it a try myself this time. Does it matter at all if you don't have a clue about Buffy (in this case) ? 95% of tv and I woulda been flying but Buffy I could name / recognize a few characters and obviously I know it's Josh Whedon's vampire hunter story but not much else.

Very helpful, think I'll give it a try myself this time. Does it matter at all if you don't have a clue about Buffy (in this case) ? 95% of tv and I woulda been flying but Buffy I could name / recognize a few characters and obviously I know it's Josh Whedon's vampire hunter story but not much else.

Not at all. The characters take the form of roles within the game, which are explained in the opening post. Some of the in game banter can be show related, but for the most part it will take the form of GIFs and memes (and a lot of the players would be in the same boat as yourself in not having a huge knowledge of the show specifically).

The good thing about this game is it will be played under anonymous accounts (that info gets provided in the PMs sent out on Sunday) so even for new players it's an even keel as no one will know who anyone's boards identity is until after the game. This helps both new and experienced players alike in taking away any outside game knowledge (known as metagaming).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Werewolf is mighty fun.

Ive been playing since April and even though I was awful (I dont think anyone had a worse debut game than me ever), I loved it. While Im much more experienced now and aware of the game mechanics, I realy cant recommend it enough

The lads over their are great guys and girls, and like others have said above, its both confusing and time consumming but utterly addictive.

At the very least you should follow the game Necro is running so you can at least observe how it works as the game progresses.

If the Buffy theme puts you off, don’t let that bother ya. The theme just adds to the game and its brilliant even if you have no idea of Buffy and her Vampire Slaying show.

Give it a whirl folks, you wont regret it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Anyone here ever watched 'A Serbian Film'? Considering watching it despite how messed up it sounds from the plot on Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone here ever watched 'A Serbian Film'? Considering watching it despite how messed up it sounds from the plot on Wikipedia.

It's always always mentioned on threads and topics looking for the most disturbing and messed up films of all times. That's all I know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Omackeral wrote: »
    It's always always mentioned on threads and topics looking for the most disturbing and messed up films of all times. That's all I know!
    If you can stomach it give the plot on Wikipedia a read - link.

Funnily enough the first time I heard of it was in Six Seconds Magic's version of Kevin Steen's theme:
    I'll make this place into a scene out of a Serbian Film

• Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Parents Guide on imdb is always handy for checking content of films. Sounds pretty messed up
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1273235/parentalguide?ref_=tt_stry_pg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Huh. I see Rick and Morty's moved over to Comedy Central, starting with the very first episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

It's a tough watch. Very dark and sick film. Wouldn't recommend it to watch it by yourself just cos you'll probably roll your eyes at a certain point and turn it off.

Very good chance of getting too the world cup next summer with our play off draw vs Denmark but they are a good team with some good players. They beat Poland at home 4-0 in september and if they do that to us in the first leg than it's over for us. Delighted I picked up 2 tickets too the home leg dis morning and I'm fact my first Soccer game in the Aviva (been too loads of Rugby and concerts there). If we have a repeat of our September form than we will struggle

Flying out too Glasgow next Thursday too see Metallica, can't wait but travelling solo can be anxious

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Very good chance of getting too the world cup next summer with our play off draw vs Denmark but they are a good team with some good players. They beat Poland at home 4-0 in september and if they do that to us in the first leg than it's over for us. Delighted I picked up 2 tickets too the home leg dis morning and I'm fact my first Soccer game in the Aviva (been too loads of Rugby and concerts there). If we have a repeat of our September form than we will struggle

Flying out too Glasgow next Thursday too see Metallica, can't wait but travelling solo can be anxious

It can to a degree be daunting, but it's fun especially for concerts, meeting like minded people, which I found out myself after both Alter Bridge gigs this year. Don't worry, and enjoy your trip..

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It can to a degree be daunting, but it's fun especially for concerts, meeting like minded people, which I found out myself after both Alter Bridge gigs this year. Don't worry, and enjoy your trip..

Hotel is next door to the arena, plan on enjoying a few beverages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I'm fact my first Soccer game in the Aviva (been too loads of Rugby and concerts there).

Could always change that by going to the FAI Cup final game the week before :p

Could always change that by going to the FAI Cup final game the week before :p

Only if Waterford FC were in it but we're rebuilding and happy enough with the first divsion title this season

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Anyone know if you can park a car near Jameson? Hoping to bring the cousin on the tour tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Huh. I see Rick and Morty's moved over to Comedy Central, starting with the very first episode.

Wonder if this means it gets taken off Netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

cena wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can park a car near Jameson? Hoping to bring the cousin on the tour tomorrow

Yeah there's loads around Smithfield or just on the quays before the Four Courts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Take care and enjoy ;)

Advertisement