Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    1-2 Denmark.

They really came back at us, can we get 2 goals or is it another 4 year wait

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

:( I think we're done for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That Denmark Jersey is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭kksaints

That went terribly wrong.

Christian Eriksen on another level

In other news bearded Keano looks like Tommy Tiernan :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

An absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Was up at the game. Christ we have some brutal players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

paulie21 wrote: »
    Was up at the game. Christ we have some brutal players

They have been around for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Donal55 wrote: »
    They have been around for awhile.

Yep but you get a better read at the game than on TV

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Christ that was horrible, were now entering into a rebuilding phase of Irish senior international football and it's going to be a long frustrating one

2017 has been a mixed sporting year for me, Munster get too the 2016/17 Heineken cup semi final and pro 12 final (beaten heavily in both), Waterford get too the All Ireland Senior Hurling final and lose it and then the Republic of Ireland qualify for the World cup playoffs and the game i go too we get destroyed lol. Still i can say I had an ok year for supporting my teams and sometimes the Journey is better than the destination

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I feel sorry for all the fans who paid out the arse for tickets to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Very depressing result. I never expected our team to be thrashed. I had a bad feeling we would go out 1-1 on a heartbreaking away goals situation. Instead this was like the football equivalent of that time Brock beat the sh*t out of Cena and won the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Lot will be wrote about the loss, clearly don't have the players etc, but to be fair we had the measure of Denmark until we imploded in the first half with some horror personal errors. Then the subs at half time, just awful.

I dunno lads, who can we replace MON with? I'd be half tempted to throw loads of money at Sam or heck would Stephen Kenny be the worst choice in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭chatticusfinch

Haven't been that gutted by an ending since Alberto Del Rio won the Royal Rumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

People were saying how disappointed they were that we didn't have a good go at the Danes over in copenhagen. This is what happens when you try to do that against a superior team. Poulsen, Eriksen, Sisto and Schmeichel are far better than what we have to offer. People who say 'ah they only have one player' are most likely Premier League casual viewers who no nothing about the likes of Celta Vigo, Atalanta and RB Leipzig.

Anyway, time to change the thread name?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lots of upset at the result. Lets remember Wales got to the Euro's semi final thanks to having Bale.

Denmark do not get that result last night without Eriksen.

Ireland don't have a top class player to build around and should keep everything tight, don't give up easy chances like they did in both games.

The approach last night was wrong and it was certainly management that caused it.

On the other hand, thanks to O'Neill Ireland have brouht in a lot of new players and the squad has a lot to build upon as a group so he has earned more time to work with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

I seen one guy last night crying in a bar in Limerick. That's over reacting a little! The media will be our quick to criticise when things go wrong and quick to over hype things going well.

Reality is as a nation we don't punch above or weight or we don't underperform. We like every other nation have our spells in different sports where we are stronger than others and vice versa.

Cycling being one we had a spell in of real strength.
    We seem to churn out excellent amateur boxers.
    Our rugby team are competitive at the very top table of the game.

Soccer we are a below average nation with this cycle of players. We had a nice spell from Brady to Roy Keane to Robbie Keane but that maybe it for a decade or so.

That is sport unfortunately when you have a limited pool of sports people to choose from you have to accept its going to happen.

So I take last nights result (a little flattering to the Danes?) as what it was. Fair and square we were beaten but we are exactly where we should be with this current crop of players. Half decent, competitive for the most part but ultimately not good enough.

A strong domestic league equals a stronger national team but the majority of folks over here couldn't be arsed with the week-in week-out factor unfortunately. We're great for acting the jester for Joe.ie once every few years abroad but the bread and butter football? Nah.

Omackeral wrote: »
    A strong domestic league equals a stronger national team but the majority of folks over here couldn't be arsed with the week-in week-out factor unfortunately. We're great for acting the jester for Joe.ie once every few years abroad but the bread and butter football? Nah.

Grassroots level is where its at.
    Rugby being a great example of what you can achieve keeping your best and brightest on these shores.

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Grassroots level is where its at.

Agreed. There's no sense in having little 8 year olds running around on a full size 11 a side pitch for starters. Have 5 or 7 a side and encourage passing and footwork. don't automatically but the bigger, stronger boys as centre backs just because they're big.

• Advertisement

This is true. I remember seeing a video of Sergio Ramos as a child playing centre half he was tiny. But he read the game well and his head was always up looking for an out ball. He was probably 8/9 in the clip I saw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Vicious cycle.

Fans don't go because the FAI shows no interest in promoting it properly.

FAI don't promote it and blame it on the fans not going.

France to host RWC in 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Need help. What is the best way to get back from Tallaght stadium to chapilzod. I have hockey training from 10 to 11pm tomorrow at the ice rink beside the stadium.

I would be needing public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

cena wrote: »
    Need help. What is the best way to get back from Tallaght stadium to chapilzod. I have hockey training from 10 to 11pm tomorrow at the ice rink beside the stadium.

I would be needing public transport

Red Luas from The Square to the Kylemore stop, then it's about a half an hour walk up the Kylemore Road to Chapelizod.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Red Luas from The Square to the Kylemore stop, then it's about a half an hour walk up the Kylemore Road to Chapelizod.

It is the steeples I need to get to. Overnight stay with the brother.

cena wrote: »
    It is the steeples I need to get to. Overnight stay with the brother.

Just skate from Tallaght to Chapelizod?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Just skate from Tallaght to Chapelizod?

This could work. Put the skates on the Luas tracks, and off you go

I've nearly posted 13,000 times on boards.....

• Advertisement

.....there we go.

Advertisement