Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Loughc wrote: »
    That was 5 hours ago. Can we guess not good? :)

It actually worked out quite well. About 20 minutes all told to get it looking similar to last year! EVERY bulb worked!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Kankan14 wrote: »
    It actually worked out quite well. About 20 minutes all told to get it looking similar to last year! EVERY bulb worked!!

Game changer! Be trying it this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Made 'The List of Jason' over the weekend, consisting of films that I need to watch for the first time over Christmas
    My brother has always spoken about how good the Godfather films are and that while the first one is probably the greatest film ever, that the second is his favourite. Need to watch Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs too amongst others!
    Looking to pick up a few DVDs from Golden Discs in Limerick once my exams are over.

Speaking of my exams, my seat number for my first one was F7, two off of F5, damn!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Made 'The List of Jason' over the weekend, consisting of films that I need to watch for the first time over Christmas
    My brother has always spoken about how good the Godfather films are and that while the first one is probably the greatest film ever, that the second is his favourite. Need to watch Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs too amongst others!
    Looking to pick up a few DVDs from Golden Discs in Limerick once my exams are over.

Speaking of my exams, my seat number for my first one was F7, two off of F5, damn!

I've yet to see Pulp Fiction or Resevoir Dogs, I do love the Godfather films though.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,467 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

never seen
    the original star wars movies in full
    godfathers
    Pulp Fiction
    Scarface
    only seen a handful of Bond movies
    among many others

I'm a big animated TV fan so ive seen parodies of a lot of legendary movies like some mentioned in my list. I have seen 100s of movies but missed out on some of the greats. I love multi universes/Trilogys etc like X men, MCU, DC universe, Middle Earth etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I’ve seen all of the above but there are loads of classic films I haven’t seen. Raging Bull for one. I must watch that over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Never seen scarface always mean to watch it just seem to forget it when im picking a film to watch

It’s good (and entertaining in an over the top 80s way) but it’s a little overrated in my view. Carlito’s Way was a better film.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I don't get Star Wars.

Love sci-fi (Mass Effect trilogy is one of my favourite things ever) and all manner of geeky stuff but I watched The Force Awakens the other night and thought it was just alright. Also I thought the acting was noticeably bad in it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

ive never got ET i just never got how people enjoy it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

J. Marston wrote: »
    I don't get Star Wars.

Love sci-fi (Mass Effect trilogy is one of my favourite things ever) and all manner of geeky stuff but I watched The Force Awakens the other night and thought it was just alright. Also I thought the acting was noticeably bad in it too.

I loved Force Awakens, but the entire point is it relies heavily on nostalgia of the original film (most of the film is a straight copy of the original's plot). I could well imagine if you didn't get the originals, then the new one wouldn't hold much appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

sky88 wrote: »
    ive never got ET i just never got how people enjoy it

Your heart is black kent, ........black like the ace of spades!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Just realised it's coming around to that time of year again...

THE DRAFT....

Very Excited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

PTH and Sky, you should absolutely watch Scarface.
    It's a top notch film, don't know how Al Pacino or the film itself didn't pick up an Oscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

What are people’s personal favorite movie? Singular.. Not the greatest movie ever made etc but just for one reason or another your fav?

Mine would be Inside Man Denzel Washington. Love it!

MrMac84 wrote: »
    What are people’s personal favorite movie? Singular.. Not the greatest movie ever made etc but just for one reason or another your fav?

The Rock with Nic Cage and Sean Connery. Close second is Gladiator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Necrominus wrote: »
    The Rock with Nic Cage and Sean Connery. Close second is Gladiator.

Haven’t seen either

Both very good but wouldn't be up with my favourites. My personal choices, I'd have to go with comedies because there's nothing better than just being made to laugh for two hours, The Big Lebowski and Airplane. I was in knots laughing at both the first time I saw them and have now seen both at least five times and still get a chuckle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Jurassic Park, easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Shawshank Redemption.
    The Green Mile.
    Catch Me If You Can

and for some reason I love Con Air!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,138 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Singular favourite is tough but if I was to say the one that's not on most people's lists it would be The Warriors.
    Don't know what it is about that film I like but I've seen it often and can watch it again no problem. I've seen 5 different cuts of it as well.

The Warriors is great alright. Quite dated now but still great. “Warriors..come out to plaaayy..”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Pentecost wrote: »
    The Warriors is great alright. Quite dated now but still great. “Warriors..come out to plaaayy..”

Apparently, that line was ad libbed too making it all the better.

I don't have just 1 favorite movie. I have several movies i would watch over and over and not get sick of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It's gas that this discussion has come up as myself and the missus only played "Desert Island Flicks" last week. Was a bit surprised by my final picks tbh. Like Desert Island Discs, you're stranded on an island and you can only take 6/7 movies with you.

Blazing Saddles: I just love everything about this movie. EVERYTHING.

Mrs. Doubtfire: Adore this story. Would easily argue RW'a performance is one of the best ever.

The Full Monty: a weird one but it's one of those movies I have looked at a thousand time. It's humour that really appeals to me.

The Matrix: Was completely bowled over the first time I saw this film and it has always held its appeal for me.

Braveheart: Love history and in terms on an historical epics (I'm aware of its inaccuracies) this for me really is the gold standard.

Last Of The Mohicans: Used to watch this with my dad. DDL puts on his usual masterclass. Fantastic story, Fantastic setting and phenomenal soundtrack.

It's A Wonderful Life: I only saw this film in the last 2-3 years. Always thought it was too hammy for me and never gave it a chance. A wonderful movie that has soo much heart.

Honourable mentions: Terminator 2, The Departed, Jaws Police Academy and The Dark Knight.

My keeper: definitely Blazing Saddles.

Oh Mac, I love you.

That's easily one of my favorite films of all time, and such a perfect heist film. Rewatch it regularly.

Others off the top of my head then....

Truman Show
    Jingle All the Way (this is THE Christmas movie for me :P)
    Back to the Future trilogy

Lads or lasses, could I ask someone to do me a small favour? I've got a little technical glitch happening with Amazon and my business, and having a conflict about something with them. I don't want to link on here to my stuff, but if I could PM two or three links to someone and ask them to tell me who is listed as the seller for items, I'd appreciate it. It's nothing big or time consuming, literally just a two second thing, but it's driving me nuts at the moment and Amazon are telling me I'm imagining the issue, so want a third eye, so to speak.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lads or lasses, could I ask someone to do me a small favour? I've got a little technical glitch happening with Amazon and my business, and having a conflict about something with them. I don't want to link on here to my stuff, but if I could PM two or three links to someone and ask them to tell me who is listed as the seller for items, I'd appreciate it. It's nothing big or time consuming, literally just a two second thing, but it's driving me nuts at the moment and Amazon are telling me I'm imagining the issue, so want a third eye, so to speak.

Pop me a few links Lord and I can have a look for you.

Stepping out for a little bit shortly but will have a look this afternoon anyways.

I can check now for you if you want mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Same as

• Advertisement

Thanks guys :) I'll fire off the PMs now. Two should be more than enough to know if I'm gone crazy or not :P

Advertisement