Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

A handy World Championship for Taylor, I'm sorry for being negative but I'll be glad to see him gone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A handy World Championship for Taylor, I'm sorry for being negative but I'll be glad to see him gone.

I know pretty much nothing about darts besides what I've learned from Bobby George Jr. :P What's the story with Phil Taylor? Why exactly is he disliked so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Gonna go against the grain here. Darts is not a sport. You can't go against me on this cos today's my birthday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Omackeral wrote: »
    Gonna go against the grain here. Darts is not a sport. You can't go against me on this cos today's my birthday :)
    Happy bday, if u have waited a few hours you could of been a new years baby

If its on Sky sports its a sport lol. 90% of the lads playing are not ur typical athlete

That Indian sport with the players tagging eachother I don't get

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I love the darts (haven't seen sh1te all of them this year cos of work) but I 100% agree.

It's a skill. A highly entertaining spectator skill, but a skill nonetheless. I cringe any time people refer to darts players as sports people tbh.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Happy bday, if u have waited a few hours you could of been a new years baby

If its on Sky sports its a sport lol. 90% of the lads playing are not ur typical athlete

Poker is on Sky Sports. WWE is on Sky Sports. Lol.

Necrominus wrote: »
    I love the darts (haven't seen sh1te all of them this year cos of work) but I 100% agree.

It's a skill. A highly entertaining spectator skill, but a skill nonetheless. I cringe any time people refer to darts players as sports people tbh.

59d359a152d2f-536x372.jpg

pure athlete is Big John Henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

What's the story with Phil Taylor? Why exactly is he disliked so much?

I suppose a lot of the hate comes from his utter dominance of the sport for the guts of 20 years. A bit of the Man Utd/Schumacher syndrome about it all. Plus he wouldn't be known for his humility. Over the years he has said and done many arrogant things.

PW wrestling is in the sports sections of boards. We're best keeping our heads down with the "not a sport" debate ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

We as fans of PW probably shouldn't be bringing up the what is and isn't a sport. Maybe darts is more a skill game but hey the lads seem to enjoy it.

Almost 12 here so I'm about to head up to the roof to watch the fireworks but first...
    tumblr_oj26l2rece1tgo74ho1_1280.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Oh absolutely, BH. I love the darts. Especially the world championships. I don't think PW is a sport either btw. It's athletic and hella exciting, but it's pre determined (although that's common in other popular real sports at times too lol)

Happy New Year!

• Advertisement

I don't think anyone here thinks Pro Wrestling is a proper sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Calling it now, Michael Van Gerwen will win the PDC World Darts Championship. It'll be sad to see Taylor call it a day, but without him and a few others, darts as a sports would be totally different.

Well this didn't go as planned.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I don't think anyone here thinks Pro Wrestling is a proper sport.

Obligatory "It's still real to me, dammit!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I know pretty much nothing about darts besides what I've learned from Bobby George Jr. :P What's the story with Phil Taylor? Why exactly is he disliked so much?

Being convicted of indecently assaulting two women wouldn’t help his popularity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Pentecost wrote: »
    Being convicted of indecently assaulting two women wouldn’t help his popularity.

I had a feeling it had to be down to more than just winning so often! :eek: Crikey.

I had a feeling it had to be down to more than just winning so often! :eek: Crikey.

There’s not much mention of it in the media these days to be fair even though it was relatively recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Never knew that story. I always just thought he was an unlikeable guy from his interviews

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Tis near enough to midnight.

Happy New year everyone. Hope you're 2018 is better than your 2017

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Happy new year everyone! Thanks for the memories. *cue emotional music*

Tis near enough to midnight.

Happy New year everyone. Hope you're 2018 is better than your 2017

happy New year

alone in the pub due to a load of circumstances but this anger/sadness i have will hopefully add fuel to what I need for 2018

happy new years PW board (the best and worst cyber friends I'll ever have)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

happy New year

alone in the pub due to a load of circumstances but this anger/sadness i have will hopefully add fuel to what I need for 2018

Happy new year mate. Remember you’re never alone with you have internet access. Hope the new year brings you lots of happiness and better times!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

happy New year

Hope all is ok. Send a PM if you wanna vent. And happy new year

Happy New Year PW Boards folk. You’re a good bunch and I’m always impressed that if someone hints that they’re down or in need of someone to talk to people always volunteer themselves. We all have our tough times so for the record I’ll chat to anyone that ever wants to. No funny business though :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

sky88 wrote: »
    Never knew that story. I always just thought he was an unlikeable guy from his interviews

Here is a piece on him from RTE today. No devil, no saint either. Problems seen with a lot of genius achievers tbh, often on the edge of reason, he is no Aidan O'Brien or Roger Federer in behaviour.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/darts/2017/1212/926962-the-power-and-the-petulance-taylor-bows-out/

• Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hope ye all have a great 2018

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

God help me, I'm being a cliche. Have ordered a work out bench in Argos in a bid to start putting on some muscles on my scrawny arms :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

Cheaper than a 1-year gym membership that you'd give up at the end of January? :p

Lord TSC wrote: »
    God help me, I'm being a cliche. Have ordered a work out bench in Argos in a bid to start putting on some muscles on my scrawny arms :P

I did the same thing last year and got great value out of it throughout the whole of the Spring. I should really set it up for use again!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Virtanen wrote: »
    Cheaper than a 1-year gym membership that you'd give up at the end of January? :p

I'm hoping I don't lose motivation. I lost 60lbs in the last 12 months, so it's trying now to transition into the next stage of the weight loss process and try to replace some of the flab with muscles :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

One piece of advice I'd give you is to try set it up in its own area (if you get what I'm saying).

Advertisement