Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,707 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Awesome dude I lost 45 lbs two years ago and have kept it off and feel 10 years younger for it I'm also starting into my 7th year as a non smoker today.

Started a couch to 5k this morning I've been quiet good over the last few years at sticking to my New Year's Resolutions when I do make them.

Best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Last time I'll annoy the thread re: this I promise :)

7 slots left for next Werewolf game, Disney themed. Newcomers always welcome!!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057823312

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Necrominus wrote: »
    Last time I'll annoy the thread re: this I promise :)

7 slots left for next Werewolf game, Disney themed. Newcomers always welcome!!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057823312

And I'll do my usual plug...werewolf is awesome, and I'd highly encourage any and everyone to try it even once. Its dramatic and a great experience. Really excited for the game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,707 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That might just be the greatest darts I have ever seen.

Also loved Taylor getting humbled/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That might just be the greatest darts I have ever seen.

Also loved Taylor getting humbled/

Delighted for cross. He was unbeatable tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Ali Bomaye

Amazing story how brilliant Cross was on his first year on the tour, and finishing it off by winning the World Championship. Less than two years ago he was only a pub player.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Fair play on the weight loss dudes im embarking on my own weight loss journey now and good to see its working for people

And happy new years to everyone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

sky88 wrote: »
    Fair play on the weight loss dudes im embarking on my own weight loss journey now and good to see its working for people

And happy new years to everyone

Same congrats to the two lads on their achievement. I need to get my arse in gear this year too Sky88 so if you want to motivate each other I’ll be up to make this competitive some how haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah likewise I have work to do this year. Lost a fair bit a few years ago when I was quite active exercise wise but it’s creeped back up in the last while due to a change in job resulting in more tiredness and less time to exercise and other things like old age :) . ‘Just’ a stone or two off and I’d be happy enough though so hopefully will be achieveable over a few months.

Same just a couple of stone looking to lose. The office job has taken its toll the last few years. We can start a pw weight loss support group

• Advertisement

Same I’m only looking to lose 2 stone max. Defo support group would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Love this idea.

Being insulin dependant, I find it very hard to lose weight. The heavier I am, the more insulin I need. The more insulin I take, the more weight I put on. It's a vicious circle. I could do with losing about 2 stone.

My problem is, when I lose weight, it's off my arms and legs. I still have a pot belly!

I'm about 13 stone at the minute. When I was diagnosed with the Beetus in 2010, I had lost a huge amount of weight (I was 9.5 stone). But I still had the pit belly!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Yip. Hate to fall into an inevitable fail of "new year-new me" but I'm definitely gonna knock on for the new year.

My DDP yoga disc are festering in the corner. Did it for a few weeks but have yet to really make any shapes in terms of a real commitment. I might resurrect the old thread in way of a monthly fitness log. It would be the perfect excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Yip. Hate to fall into an inevitable fail of "new year-new me" but I'm definitely gonna knock on for the new year.

My DDP yoga disc are festering in the corner. Did it for a few weeks but have yet to really make any shapes in terms of a real commitment. I might resurrect the old thread in way of a monthly fitness log. It would be the perfect excuse.

That's a good idea and a perfect fit. I'm swearing off white bread and Coca Cola for the next bloody while.

its the snacking that kills me so trying to give coke and crisps especially a miss and try eat breakfasts which im bad at to try hopefully cut out the snacking

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I workout at home and lost a few pounds over the last few months. I don't weight myself often but I was once 14st, 36 waist and Large shirt. now I'm 13.2St, 34 waist and medium shirt

simple things like a few push ups/sit ups/squats etc everyday maintains lower weight

when i was on Anti depressants I put up a lot of weight and I had a prob with alcohol for a while (still drink but not as much)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

its the snacking that kills me so trying to give coke and crisps especially a miss and try eat breakfasts which im bad at to try hopefully cut out the snacking

90% of my weight loss was dropping coke and crisps. I used to have a glass or two of coke a day. Gradually weened myself off.

I've dropped from a 44 waist to a 36 which feels awesome when clothes shopping, but I've hit that point now where there's no easy way to chop anything else out of my diet without actually changing it dramatically. Portion control has helped, mind.

I'm curious to see if I can actually put on some muscles. Honestly, I can't even do a push up right now, such is the lack of my upper body strenght. Thats partially why I've not gone back to DDP yet. But given I'm self-employed at home, I've got a tonne of time, so I'm kind of setting it as a bit of an experiment for 2018. Don't think I'll have the discipline (I like food) to get a six pack but I'd be curious as to how much of a change I can have, physically.

Lads, seriously even doing 20/30/40 mins exercise a day and cutting back on junk (especially late at night) a bit can have exceptional results. 20 mins a day is nothing really and yet it's 20 minutes more than 0 minutes. Hardest part can be putting on shorts or trackie bottoms. Come on boys, we should all give this a shot!

snacking in the nights is my downfall

80% of the time id finsih work from 10-1am and id have a bit of junk before i go to bed (sleep can be terrible cause of this). I like to have a bit of junk if im watching WWE live or anyother tv show

I dont drink tea or coffee, beleive it or not an ice lolly a night is a must for me lol

best of luck everyone with there plans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Keen to get going on this too. Snacks and the sesh are my downfall, I'd go to the opening of an envelope :P Really need to cut out the beer and fizzy drinks and even that would have a big impact I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, once all the leftover junk is gone, I plan on not buying any more.
    I do a boot camp 3 times a week but while I may be fitter, eating crap doesn't help lose weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Lads the key to weight loss is in the kitchen and not the gym. (Mostly not totally)

Swap carbs like pasta, poppy’s & chips for veg. even frozen veg/peas etc will do. NO BREAD Brown white whole grain etc... NONE

If you stick to eggs and steak/turkey rashers as breakfast you’ll be full before work. Scrambled eggs in microwave or boiled/poached eggs don’t take long to cook and stick to the thin minute steaks for fast cooking.You’ll be less likely to eat jambons and breakfast rolls that way when your already full going to work.

Dinner make a nice beef or chicken stir fry with lots of veg to fill you up, make extra and put in a tubber ware box for the following days lunch that can be easily heated up.

Some mixed salad leaves with feta cheese and Sun dried tomatoes with left over turkey or chicken or beef is very tasty and can ate any time. If it’s bland add some lemon juice also.

Things like mince and pork Mince made into homemade burgers are divine! You just need some imagination. When I’m actively dropping weight (I’m 33, 5.10 and still a 32 waste but I need to work at it to maintaine it) one of my favorite meals is an entire old El Paso fajita mix but I don’t open the wraps I use Ice burg lettuce leaves and put the mix into those with cheese and eat out of the lettuce! Savage and no carbs.

If your energy levels fall a lot with no carbs then a few sweet potatoes wedges or a cup of brown rice with dinner only (after you’ve done your yoga,walk,run,swim or whatever it is your doing to excersice

Any questions just ask away these are things that work for me and help to keep weight off..

Some great ideas and motivation already, can we get a separate thread for all this?

PTH2009 wrote: »
    snacking in the nights is my downfall

80% of the time id finsih work from 10-1am and id have a bit of junk before i go to bed (sleep can be terrible cause of this). I like to have a bit of junk if im watching WWE live or anyother tv show

I dont drink tea or coffee, beleive it or not an ice lolly a night is a must for me lol

best of luck everyone with there plans

An ice lol-ly a night... so that's why you say lol all the time! Cut back on those!

Seriously though, nothing wrong with pigging out for a PPV or even once a week watching a show. Every single night or every other night isn't good though. Your body has no time to work it off. Funny you mention tea and coffee. How many of us have a few biscuits or a bar with out tea. You hardly even think of it as a snack because it's "just a cup of tea".

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I can eat anything and still be as stick thin as I am..

Though problematic beer gut is problematic..

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I can eat anything and still be as stick thin as I am..

Though problematic beer gut is problematic..

i was like that till i was 25 then it all hit me like a ton of bricks when i started office work and got a bit lazier

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

i was like that till i was 25 then it all hit me like a ton of bricks when i started office work and got a bit lazier

**** I'm pushing 25 and I sit around in an office all day..

Might start walking again..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Something I forgot is water lads..2-3 litres If water be drank a day to help with weight lose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

I could definitely afford to lose some weight

Having said that, I don't feel unhealthy enough to do it. I think I'd probably get down to the grindstone and do it if I was required to, but until then I'm happy enough as I am :)

• Advertisement

word of warning

When u lose weight and decide to go on the session, the drink will hit you like a bus and you will drunk faster and move severly. Have had a few messey nights over the last few months cause of this (well prob the amount i drank was the main reason lol)

Advertisement