Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Fair play to everyone who wants to make changes. I would say don't overthink it, food is fuel, the fuel you need to move, work, play.

My food intake is not great so I want to do something about that myself.

If you are eating stuff all the time with no nutritional value you already know that so can do something about it.

A lot of the problem foods come from boredom so find a way to tackle that.

For training, find something that fits your day. For me I get up an hour earlier to train. Someone else it might suit to do something on way to work, college, way home etc.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    **** I'm pushing 25 and I sit around in an office all day..

Might start walking again..

If you are healthy I recommend some strength training and flexibility exercise. Office work will wreck your back and training will help keep your back in good order.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    **** I'm pushing 25 and I sit around in an office all day..

Might start walking again..

if you do any kind of regular exercise you should be fine
    MrMac84 wrote: »
    Something I forgot is water lads..2-3 litres If water be drank a day to help with weight lose!

doing this trying to get 3 liters in work feel much better drinking the water too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Jaysus Mac, no bread? Bread is how I'm surviving the weight loss tbh. Two slices of brown bread in the morning gives me enough energy to basically eat nothing till lunch, small lunch then to get to dinner and then a decent sized dinner.

Anyone starting out though, I attribute all my weight loss to calorie counting and "MyFitnessPal". Find that I've lost weight just by staying under the daily calorie limit which has helped cause I can usually eat whatever I want for dinner by controlling calories during the day.
    Virtanen wrote: »
    I could definitely afford to lose some weight

Having said that, I don't feel unhealthy enough to do it. I think I'd probably get down to the grindstone and do it if I was required to, but until then I'm happy enough as I am :)

See, for me, I turned 30 last March and diabetes runs in the family. AND I have had chronic hip pains over the last twelve months. So it was one of those things where I felt I had to start, but I've enjoyed seeing the results now. Being able to wear 36 trousers and large shirts is so awesome and I look at my old clothes now thinking how pudgy I must have been. :pac: and no serious hip pains for weeks now, either (though the medications help for that too :P)

Once I get down a bit more then, I guess I'll have to look at shaving the head too then :( the hairline is thining now and I swear I can see grey already :O just don't quite have the confidence there yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Ya no bread! Try it... have 3/4 scrambled eggs/poached eggs and 3/4 grilled/George foreman minute steaks in the morning... by lunch time you’ll be starving (enough that you’ll devour yesterday’s left overs or a chicken salad even tho you’d prefer a chicken roll) then come dinner time have some carbs if energy is low but just a hand full literally... coupled with lots of water and evening snacks of nuts, fruit or zero fat yougurt and you’ll see the weight fall off. I don’t notice the change in energy with no carbs I just eat more veg to fill me up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Ya no bread! Try it... have 3/4 scrambled eggs/poached eggs and 3/4 grilled/George foreman minute steaks in the morning... by lunch time you’ll be starving (enough that you’ll devour yesterday’s left overs or a chicken salad even tho you’d prefer a chicken roll) then come dinner time have some carbs if energy is low but just a hand full literally... coupled with lots of water and evening snacks of nuts, fruit or zero fat yougurt and you’ll see the weight fall off. I don’t notice the change in energy with no carbs I just eat more veg to fill me up

I did this too to lose excess fat before I went back playing ball.

4stone lost combining red or white meat with loads of veg. No chocolate, taytos,sugar or potato's . couple that with tennis twice a week saw me go from 21st 5 to 17st 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Had first test anyway, walking past the junk aisles of aldi without picking anything up. :)

The no carbs thing is something people need to build up to or most will give up. Anything that is a real change needs to be sustainable. Althought it is something I might be trying myself.

My advice would be to have most carbs in the morning, porridge for example with some eggs or other protein after.

When ever I cut weight I found eating more often helped me stay away from snacking, making better choices at meal time. The idea of feeling famished at any time sounds like a bad idea as it will lead to the bad lunch or dinner choice. For example add a snack at 11 (protein yogurt and berries or keep the egg for 11) and a snack at 3. That bit of planning food in advance makes choices much easier and much better.

My story is I went from no exercise and 83 kg down to 67kg with diet and mixture of strength training/running (I am not tall). Over the years I went more into strength training and am back up in weight to 79 kg but have more muscle mass than when I was heavier. Want to get back to 75 kgs by summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

DM_7 wrote: »
    My advice would be to have most carbs in the morning, porridge for example with some eggs or other protein after.

Porridge is great for keeping the stomach feeling full. I always avoided it until finally giving it a go last year, and while I still don't like the taste I find I can tolerate it by sprinkling a bit of cinnamon on it.

I don't have much of an appetite in the mornings and I'm generally grand with healthy food until it gets to around 10 pm when all of a sudden the cravings kick in and I'm dying for a big roll, junk food, the works. Dunno why this part of the day is so tough for me.

My resolution for 2018 was to give up the junk food and so far, so good. Long way to go though...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea im def aiming to drop some weight this year especially with my brothers wedding in Nov. Tbh ive always had a fairly bad diet such as fizzy drinks and fast food , So my plan is to start cutting down on all that stuff with the plan to cut it out completely (bar a cheat day here and there).

My big thing is i never eat breakfast so id just wait till lunch to get food which always means i end up over eating because im so hungry. I totally understand what MNG is on about with the late night hunger and its the very same with me being the toughest part of the day where i start to get hungry and im like oh will i run up to the shop and get crisps/junk food or order a late night pizza/chinese (which i have done one to many times ha)

Also the fact my parents own a restaurant and i end up going up there for food at lunch its so hard not to pick at the bad food :pac::pac::pac:.

At least when i start my new job at the end of the month i will be more regimented etc. Even tomorrow i plan on doing a weekly shop for myself so ill have proper food for the week which will hopefully help me cut down on late night binges etc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Pokemon Go has been a big help for me getting out and about, I do a fair bit of walking with it. I go up to Dublin or Galway for it every so often, and can cover a fair bit of ground while playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yea im def aiming to drop some weight this year especially with my brothers wedding in Nov. Tbh ive always had a fairly bad diet such as fizzy drinks and fast food , So my plan is to start cutting down on all that stuff with the plan to cut it out completely (bar a cheat day here and there).

My big thing is i never eat breakfast so id just wait till lunch to get food which always means i end up over eating because im so hungry. I totally understand what MNG is on about with the late night hunger and its the very same with me being the toughest part of the day where i start to get hungry and im like oh will i run up to the shop and get crisps/junk food or order a late night pizza/chinese (which i have done one to many times ha)

Also the fact my parents own a restaurant and i end up going up there for food at lunch its so hard not to pick at the bad food :pac::pac::pac:.

At least when i start my new job at the end of the month i will be more regimented etc. Even tomorrow i plan on doing a weekly shop for myself so ill have proper food for the week which will hopefully help me cut down on late night binges etc

your very similar to me. I don't do breakfast and normally eat a big lunch or have small things during the day and have my dinner at night. my work hours can vary week by week. Very rarely eat dinners early in the day unless I'm out for it

I've started taking vitamin supplements and have a whey protein shake after my workouts. There Prob contributing feck all to my body and are all gimmicks but the barocca boost things are quite good adding a bit of caffeine if I need it

Angron wrote: »
    Pokemon Go has been a big help for me getting out and about, I do a fair bit of walking with it. I go up to Dublin or Galway for it every so often, and can cover a fair bit of ground while playing.

This is a great example of how finding something you enjoy can help your movement goals as well.

This is on top of the sports, weights etc mentioned on thread.
    PTH2009 wrote: »
    your very similar to me. I don't do breakfast and normally eat a big lunch or have small things during the day and have my dinner at night. my work hours can vary week by week. Very rarely eat dinners early in the day unless I'm out for it

I've started taking vitamin supplements and have a whey protein shake after my workouts. There Prob contributing feck all to my body and are all gimmicks but the barocca boost things are quite good adding a bit of caffeine if I need it

I think you might benefit fr0m going back to basics in your diet. You shouldn't need supplements unless you are training very hard for something and need to recover quickly between training sessions.

I suggest trying to plan your food similar to what Mac did but not dropping the carbs just yet. I need to go back to basics myself this year.

Here is some advice I read years ago from Lance Storm and found it to be true:
    For people who are just starting to train, I don't recommend supplements. I think it is important to get as much out of your body, on its own, before trying anything. I was training about 12 - 15 years before taking my first supplement. This is of course excessive but if you get everything out of your body that you can first, you will then be better able to judge what the supplements are actually doing for you. It is also along this same vain, why I suggest only taking 1 supplement at a time. If you take more than one, who is to say which is working for you, all bodies react differently.
    Diet
    I don't have a very complex diet. A diet to me isn't something you are on, or off, it's simply your eating habits. I don't keep track of the amount of fat, protein, or carbohydrates that I eat. My only rule of thumb is, avoid processed foods and eat as many whole natural foods as I can. I don't eat anything that is low fat, low carb, etc. because they replace the fat with sugar and calories with other artificial chemicals I don't want to consume. I try to eat things that are grown or raised. Fruits, vegetables, meats/fish, and grains. Grains being the smallest portion of those if I can. I keep my deserts and junk food to a minimum, but believe that now that I'm off the road, treats are fine as long as kept in moderation.

Lance's advice was good and I used it years ago as it cut through a lot of the bull**** you read in magazines or online where they are out to make money from you.

http://www.stormwrestling.com/workout.html

PTH2009 wrote: »

Yea for the last few years ive worked in a restaurant which meant not eating dinner till nearly 10-11pm most nights which meant eating pizzas , burgers or pasta etc which was not healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Yea for the last few years ive worked in a restaurant which meant not eating dinner till nearly 10-11pm most nights which meant eating pizzas , burgers or pasta etc which was not healthy.

I can’t recommend a stir fry enough. Make it before work and make extra and pop some into the microwave to heat when you get back then 👌ðŸ»

https://youtu.be/d2OcIqwmSaY

https://youtu.be/cSo9CC2wKVI

it's the day for this

Phil Lynott gone 32 years today

legend

• Registered Users Posts: 86,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Why the hell do people park by petrol pumps at forecourts when not getting any fuel :mad:

Because a lot of people are lazy. An actual parking space is too far from the shop and they don't want to have to walk those extra few metres. Same reason they park wherever they want as long as they put their hazard lights on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Christmas tree is coming down :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Lord TSC wrote: »

I’m waiting til tomorrow morning before I take mine down. The mantelpiece decorations got dismantled earlier and that looks so bare now.

Lord TSC wrote: »

Ours has been down since thursday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Remember lads. Two rolls of cling film. I think that'll cover the tree.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The Tree stays up till Chinese New Year! ha

going to the high kings Thursday nignt. Not everyone is a fan of them but they are good singers and it be a good laugh after a few pints

glamming up Irish trad songs is the way to to nowadays, look at Nathan Carter and the likes. you can almost taste the tacitness of it all

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The Tree stays up till Chinese New Year! ha

Jealous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

My tree has been down for 2 days and i only noticed now

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

All the decorations are put away for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,707 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First week of Couch to 5k done and few aches and pains but really not as many I was expecting.

I'm doing a '60 body squats a day 'challenge and it's going well. My legs feel a lot looser and I'm moving around better. still have pains though

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I deal with back pain a lot due to low sinks where I work, a pox on low sinks, a pox I say.

• Advertisement

And that's my Christmas stuff away as well. Now I look forward to finding bits of tree around the house throughout the year

Advertisement