Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

My wife is currently taking down our tree now as well. Be glad to see it gone now at this stage.

Went out for a few drinks there Saturday night. Apparently it was Women's Little Christmas (never heard of this before). The town was full of "ladies" dressed up and acting like they were at a Hen do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

This might sound like a wierd one but I'm trying to figure out what car I can afford to insure.

My latest insurance estimate went from the 700 mark to the 1300 on a golf 1.9 diesel 2003 reg. And that's just a ridiculous amount of money. I'm 31 no accidents 10 years + no claims in my own name that's what my first ever insurance cost me on my own!

It's ridiculous I dunno what to do as I need a car that's relatively comfy as I cross the country for work and. that can take a bit of a beating as the road from Galway city to my house is awful! But those cars put up the insurance to stupid figures. I'm absolutely lost.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Insurance is (in theory) statistical in nature, I figure a 2003, 1.9 golf is in the 'most likely to be in a speedy accident category'.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Insurance is (in theory) statistical in nature, I figure a 2003, 1.9 golf is in the 'most likely to be in a speedy accident category'.

I quoted a 181 saloon and got the same result

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I quoted a 181 saloon and got the same result

Maybe the value of car goes against you in that scenario.

One option is to do online quotes and let the companies phone you to see why you didn't purchase, they will knock more money off once you answer the phone.

If you have no luck, you may just bite the bullet and get a helicopter.

• Advertisement

DM_7 wrote: »
    Maybe the value of car goes against you in that scenario.

One option is to do online quotes and let the companies phone you to see why you didn't purchase, they will knock more money off once you answer the phone.

If you have no luck, you may just bite the bullet and get a helicopter.

I tried cars that were 3, 5, & 7 years old and all the same didn't matter make or model. It's as if driving record counts for diddly
    It's just annoying I even asked 2 companies when they rang back to tell me what car to buy to get sub 800 insurance and they couldn't/wouldn't (more likely the latter)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First week of Couch to 5k done and few aches and pains but really not as many I was expecting.

Well I went and tempted faith out for my jog this evening and nice little pop in my calf and I can barely walk now :(

Painkillers and RICE for the the next few days hoping it's just a small pulled muscle and not a tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I tore my calf just before Christmas playing football, I hadn’t played in ages so that wouldn’t have helped. Felt like someone had kicked me in the back of the leg but there was nobody near me. I couldn’t really walk for a couple of days then it wasn’t too bad aside from some random darts of pain but the physio told me it was a grade 2 tear and would take 4 to 6 weeks to recover fully.

It’s been 3 weeks now and I just get a bit of stiffness at the moment but haven’t done much beyond walking. I’ll leave it another week or two before I try running on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,465 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

had a bad date last night

it was my first in years and I prob done things wrong. I was so excited but nervous. I tried all i could she was a nice girl but seems she's wasant interested. I'd love to stay in touch but it's not to be

moving on and planning whats next is the hardest

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

PTH2009 wrote: »

it was my first in years and I prob done things wrong. I was so excited but nervous. I tried all i could she was a nice girl but seems she's wasant interested. I'd love to stay in touch but it's not to be

Nah man the initial first date in ages is the hardest. You'll be less nervous next time. Put it down to experience. How did you meet her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Keep the chin up dude.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Nah man the initial first date in ages is the hardest. You'll be less nervous next time. Put it down to experience. How did you meet her?

tinder

at the end of the day it's a ****ing app and can't be taken seriously

I'm heading to the Shawn Michaels thing Monday so that will keep my chin up til I get over the disappointment

Tinder is where I met my gf so I agree with you... it's awful :P

Ah no it's ok but if you're looking for a proper dating site you should check out Plenty of Fish I think, it's geared more towards better profiles rather than vain pictures. You're an interesting guy, traveling to gigs all over the place and following your passions, they're both attractive qualities.

There's also an Online Dating Group here on boards that has great tips for meeting new folks and gives advice on setting up profiles and such. I know someone who posts in it and can tell you how to get access. It's a private forum so there's no trolls and everyone is apparently sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

tinder

at the end of the day it's a ****ing app and can't be taken seriously

I'm heading to the Shawn Michaels thing Monday so that will keep my chin up til I get over the disappointment

Careful, Id mind my chin around him.....:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hmm, the Firefox "Highlights" feature, which shows you what pages you visited recently can be interesting at times.

Cause I know my mother and brother were being all secretive about something last night which usually means it's a Birthday present, and now there's "Highlights" saying tickets for Flight of the Concords were being bought last night too. I'm actually a little annoyed that Firefox spoiled that one on me, cause thats a ****ing awesome birthday present, and now I've got to spend 8 weeks pretending not to know or be excited....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Or be hugely disappointed when it turns out that wasn't bought for you (though I'm sure it probably was)...always better to not have such info. My wife is the worst for it, will ask a million questions to work out what I got her but she also knows that if she is aware of what's coming she will enjoy it less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

3cnscCZ

feeling a bit better today. it wasant meant to be and have to move on

hoping for all Irish teams in win in the rugby this weekend. Ulster leading at HT, Connacht later today and Leinster ans Munster 2morrow

this has to be one of the worst music videos of all time. Great song by 2 legends but wtf was that video

Black Mirror.

If you haven't watched it, watch it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Omackeral wrote: »
    Black Mirror.

If you haven't watched it, watch it.

Blows my mind each time....
    Haven't seen the latest series

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Blows my mind each time....
    Haven't seen the latest series

So so good. There's 6 episodes and IMO 5 of them are top class. The very last one Black Museum is unbelievably good and has so many easter eggs in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Don't know if anyone watched the Eagles game, but my glob my heart was in my mouth. Absolutely delighted our D stopped Falcons and are going to the Championship game!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Those who have seen Black Mirror S4 rate them from top to bottom? For me it's

USS Callister (brilliant!)
    Black Museum (slightly behind but also fantastic)
    Metalhead (v good, dropped right into it)
    Hang the DJ (v likeable but not v black mirror)
    Arkangel + Crocodile (enjoyable but kind of a watch-once deal)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Don't know if anyone watched the Eagles game, but my glob my heart was in my mouth. Absolutely delighted our D stopped Falcons and are going to the Championship game!

I was certain Atlanta would get the score after that 4th down in their own half. Not the most entertaining game as a neutral but the last 5 mins was incredibly tense. Today's games will be interesting, I can't call either of them.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Those who have seen Black Mirror S4 rate them from top to bottom?

1. Black Museum Phenomenal season finale and would make an awesome standalone movie. Adored it.

2. USS Callister Despite its bright colour schemes, it's very dark. Great performance in this from Jesse Plemons aka Todd from Breaking Bad.

3. Crocodile Classic Black Mirror, edge of the seat stuff. A great rollercoaster ride.

Arkangel Great concept and frightingly plausible. Throws up some good ethical questions.

5. Hang the DJ A nice episode for once but still messes with your brain.

6. Metalhead Didn't care for this episode all that much truthfully.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

As it says spoilers so if you haven't seen the show don't watch it but this made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dolores O'Riordan has died aged 46.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,745 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

RIP.

Shocked by this, so young with a distinctive great voice

RIP

• Advertisement

RIP.