Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Really upset. Don't know if there'd be another "celebrity" death that would hurt more. Really hope he pulls through.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Really upset. Don't know if there'd be another "celebrity" death that would hurt more. Really hope he pulls through.

Think it was Business Cat who said it in the United thread, he IS United to most of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah very sad about Sir Alex And hopefully he pulls through but it's not sounding so it's just hysteria/shock by people that's making it sound so serious

United would not be what they are today if it wasn't for him

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hope Sir Alex will be ok

So get this.

As an Amazon seller, a major expense of mine is I have to ship a lot of stock from Drogheda to Swansea on a regular basis. I do so with DHL and its one of my main costs.

Amazon, god bless them, announced recently that they were partnering with DPD to subsidize shipments. Awesome. All I had to do was prepay and then drop it off at a local shop.

So I tried that last week. Printed off my label, dropped it off at the shop and forgot about it.

A week later...its not showing as having progressed on the tracking page.

I ring DPD, and they tell me that Fastway "stole" (their words, not mine) the package. That whoever collected it from Fastway never bothered to scan it when they went into the shop, but took the package, and now it's missing. Bloody awesome. A great first experience. DPD are shrugging their shoulders, trying to say they aren't responsible (a bit of strong language this morning made them eventually change their mind) but thankfully Amazon have also said they are going to cruicify DPD and file the insurance claim on my behalf.

Inefficiency is one of those things that really, really annoys me as an entrepreneur. Customer service as a seller is so vital so it really boils my blood when a big company basically look at their customers and go "Meh, what are you going to do?" :mad:

• Advertisement

I think if you're a big company or business, the worst thing you can say to customers is and I'm using your words TSC, "Meh, what are you going to do?"

That's like waving a red rag to a bull and hoping the bull does nothing.

Phone call and some colourful language also helps :pac:

On the upside, you got Amazon on your side crucifying DPD for their screw up...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

What were the shop at giving to the wrong courier?

Can you drop further items to a depot?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

DM_7 wrote: »

This. Cut out the shop and get DPD to collect from your place. I appreciate it's probably a small/medium operation you have right now but the shop method will not scale gracefully as you expand in future. Getting a good arrangement with the courier now will be in both of your best interests.

DM_7 wrote: »

This. Cut out the shop and get DPD to collect from your place. I appreciate it's probably a small/medium operation you have right now but the shop method will not scale gracefully as you expand in future. Getting a good arrangement with the courier now will be in both of your best interests.

Honestly, it was a test to see if it was handier for me to drop to the shop.

Collections from my house can be a pain in the hole cause you don't get a specific time. Neither DPD or DHL tell you anything other than "We'll pick up on Wednesday, so stay in all day". I was hoping that as well as being cheaper (like, half the price), dropping to a shop meant I had some freedom over my collection day times.

DHL collect from my house, and in fairness, they've never not shown up on the day they said (as others have) nor have they ever lost packages. It's just mildly inconvenient. And expensive. (As an example, DHL costs me roughly €28 a box to ship with. Amazon subsidising DPD were about €18. DHL also get more expensive if it's small shipments of a single box. A single box the size of the one that went missing would have cost me about €40 to ship with DHL.)

I think I can drop off to the DPD Depot the far side of town though. It's a big of a longer journey but at least I'd know they had it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Final college exam of first year tomorrow. Can look forward to arriving home on Friday to Skyrim Remastered, a Limerick FC jersey with Shaun Kelly on the back and Limerick vs Pat's that night.

Nice bit of local football to look forward to too aside from Limerick/Pat's. Pike Rovers are in the FAI Junior Cup Final this Saturday, May 12, in the Aviva, the Munster Junior Cup Final between two Limerick sides is on May 18, Limerick vs Bohs on June 1 and the Desmond Cup Final on June 2 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Speaking of Amazon, what happened their delivery times? I go for free delivery but used to have it within a week.

Now they don't even pretend. Ordered on Monday and they have a delivery date of May 18th. I don't order from them anymore if I need something within 2 weeks

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Speaking of Amazon, what happened their delivery times? I go for free delivery but used to have it within a week.

Now they don't even pretend. Ordered on Monday and they have a delivery date of May 18th. I don't order from them anymore if I need something within 2 weeks

At a guess, I reckon its part of trying to push as many people as possible to Prime. If "free delivery" is quick, there's less incentive to sign up to Prime, so they leave it sitting there longer.

I regularly get orders in and they are left sitting untouched for days before Amazon will ship it. Its not that they can't ship the things; its there sitting on a shelf, ready to go. They just don't prioritise the orders ahead of prime ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Donald Glover/Childish Gambino getting lots of attention for his new song and video...

Think the guy is amazing. He can do and excel at everything.

- Was writing for 30 Rock when he was 24/25 while in university.
    - Brilliant comic actor in Community.
    - Stand-up comedian
    - Created, writes and stars in Atlanta.
    - Brilliant, award-winning hip-hop/rap/r&b/soul musician.
    - Has starred in a handful of big Hollywood blockbusters.

Amazing CV.

Watched the video last night. Its really awesome. Haunting.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    For those who don't venture into the soccer forum..

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/992846759645925376

Adding to this

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/994285488923176960
    Sir Alex no longer needs intensive care and will continue rehabilitation as an inpatient.

His family have been overwhelmed by the level of support and good wishes but continue to request privacy as this will be vital during this next stage of recovery.

At a guess, I reckon its part of trying to push as many people as possible to Prime. If "free delivery" is quick, there's less incentive to sign up to Prime, so they leave it sitting there longer.

I regularly get orders in and they are left sitting untouched for days before Amazon will ship it. Its not that they can't ship the things; its there sitting on a shelf, ready to go. They just don't prioritise the orders ahead of prime ones.

But Prime is of no benefit to us in Ireland, or has that changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Watched the video last night. Its really awesome. Haunting.

I think it's probably one of the best music videos of this decade. Honestly, I think this will be one of those videos that will leave its mark on pop culture, and will be on lists of best music videos in 15-20 years time. It also helps that the song is superb too.

But Prime is of no benefit to us in Ireland, or has that changed?

Amazon don't really care about Ireland though. I'd imagine as buyers, we're only a small fraction of their customer base. They can't really offer us prime either, cause it would be difficult to ship from UK warehouses to Ireland quickly and cost efficiently.

So in situations like this, we get the downsides of Amazon pushing Prime without any real good parts :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Final college exam of first year tomorrow. Can look forward to arriving home on Friday to Skyrim Remastered, a Limerick FC jersey with Shaun Kelly on the back and Limerick vs Pat's that night.

Nice bit of local football to look forward to too aside from Limerick/Pat's. Pike Rovers are in the FAI Junior Cup Final this Saturday, May 12, in the Aviva, the Munster Junior Cup Final between two Limerick sides is on May 18, Limerick vs Bohs on June 1 and the Desmond Cup Final on June 2 :D

Can honestly see a bigger traveling support from Limerick for the Pike game than what home fans will be at the Limerick/Pats game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Can honestly see a bigger traveling support from Limerick for the Pike game than what home fans will be at the Limerick/Pats game.
    I wouldn't disagree with you.

I'm just literally after hearing on the Radio that Pike's manager is suspended for the final and won't be able to go on the pitch until at least an hour after full-time, any idea why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Rugby on now and then the GAA championships start tonight. Waterford not starting til the 27th May but we get a look at everyone else before hand. Hard to believe the final was only 8 months ago and now here we are on the road again

The sad thing with the new calender is at least 4 big hurling teams will be out of the championship mid June before the kids get there school holidays

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

PTH2009 wrote:
    Rugby on now and then the GAA championships start tonight. Waterford not starting til the 27th May but we get a look at everyone else before hand. Hard to believe the final was only 8 months ago and now here we are on the road again

*coughs* started last week with London vs Sligo and New York vs Leitrim.
    :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Delighted Leinster won :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

When did Australia become part of Europe?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

When did Australia become part of Europe?

https://twitter.com/AntiLiberalAus/status/994666098418208768

Is it not just every country that has an Irish bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Is it not just every country that has an Irish bar?

So that’s EVERY city in EVERY country in the world :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

MrMac84 wrote: »
    So that’s EVERY city in EVERY country in the world :D

I remember being on my travels in Guatemala a while back and the town we landed into on our first night had an Irish bar. Guatemalan staff with leprechaun hats on was a bizarre sight. What a legacy we have for a tiny country.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Congratulations to the Fantasy Feckbags team on winning the PW Boards League. A well deserved win by more than a hundred points!

I finished second and I'm happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Well done on the massive final day points haul MNG and congrats to whoever won it. I had a mixed year in FPL, came 4th in my work league so won some money at least (I was top at Christmas :mad: ). I was having one of my best years ever right up until the Christmas period where I fell off a cliff. In 11 out of 13 gameweeks from December to March I ranked between 2.2million & 5.4million for those individual weeks. This saw me drop from 30k to 950k in the world. Think I did pretty well to climb back to 220k in the last 8 weeks.

Also I got to be at Old Trafford for Carrick's final game yesterday. Wasn't a great match but certainly a memorable moment to experience.

Advertisement