Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Margot Kidder, Lois Lane in the Superman movies, has died age 69.

Weirdest sense of Mandela Effect here for me. I was sure she died a few years back. Anyhow, RIP

https://news.sky.com/story/superman-actress-margot-kidder-dies-aged-69-11372831

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Another one of those 'is the dress blue or gold' type things, but this time with sound.

Do you hear 'Yanny' or 'Laurel' below?

https://twitter.com/CNET/status/996510539474874368

I am hearing Laurel but everyone else I've asked is hearing Yanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think anyone who claims to hear Yanny needs their hearing checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Yanny!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Clearly Laurel. Is this for real?

• Advertisement

Oddly enough, they just played it on Sky News and it was saying Yanny. Was at a different pitch than how Laurel was said

Hmm. My brother hears Laurel too but my mother heard Yanny and thinks we're lying to her...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I think anyone who claims to hear Yanny Laurel needs their hearing checked

FYP, I can't hear Laurel even when I try to

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Virtanen wrote: »
    FYP, I can't hear Laurel even when I try to

Same all I can hear is Yanny

Is it one of those age things where people of different ages hear different things?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There's a scientific breakdown of it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/may/16/yanny-or-laurel-sound-illusion-sets-off-ear-splitting-arguments

I think it's largely due to how we interpret frequency. I saw a clip on Youtube earlier where a guy altered the frequency pitch and that was the only way I was able to hear Yanny. If I hear it played normally I can only hear Laurel and I've played it several times and still can only get Laurel.

Pretty interesting how our bodies are wired differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,014 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

I can only hear Laurel ha

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I can hear both

I think both sounds are embedded to the sound file.

Either way its a load of me hoop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Pentecost

I can only hear Laurel no matter how I try to hear Yanny. Have ye tried the brainstorm v green needle one? At first I could only hear brainstorm now I can hear both of them one after the other depending on what I tell myself it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Crazy that so many people don't realise that Mourinho is done as a top level manager, lamenting the loss of Fellani after spending all that money:pac:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

How many managers who are "done" finish second in the league, runners up in the FA Cup, and in the last 16 of the Champions League? :confused:

Soccer fans are morons.

Mod Edit: That last statement refers to the drama in the Soccer Forum this past week

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Ha just become a double mod again! Although so did every other mod it would seem.

How many managers who are "done" finish second in the league, runners up in the FA Cup, and in the last 16 of the Champions League? :confused:

Soccer fans are morons.

People hate United

People hate Jose

So any perceived weaknesses will be lumped on with a more critical eye.

Ha just become a double mod again! Although so did every other mod it would seem.

So you're a mod and a test mod?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You're the real deal now!
    SBsQlbd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

That Mtest mod popped up on mine last week and was thinking “the sneaky Russians have added a Category for me to mod!”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Its for all us novice mods! We need training wheels :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Its for all us novice mods! We need training wheels :D

Orestes didn't believe in training when he gave me the job all those years ago, just handed me his banged up and overused banhammer and said you'll know who it's for.

Things been gathering dust recently though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

Lord TSC wrote: »
    People hate United

People hate Jose

So any perceived weaknesses will be lumped on with a more critical eye.
    I’d rather see City, or any club for that matter, win the league 20 years in a row than see United win it once.
    This is coming from someone who doesn’t even follow English Football that attentively.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Duchess of Sussex sounds like a name fit for WWE :p

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

Soccer fans are morons.

To be honest, I've worked in sports in the past and in my experience die hard fans of any sport tend to know the least about sport ironically (generally speaking). They allow bias to cloud better judgement, and also most fans support a top side and don't understand the concept of a team or their team not winning week in and week out. Sure they can tell you who scored in the 1980 FA Cup final, but doesn't actually amount to any type of understanding of a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Soccer fans are morons.

I assume the forum rules have been changed?

5. Personal attacks on users will not be tolerated - you will get an immediate and indefinite ban. This includes
    - Flaming/baiting/trolling
    - Disrespectful posts, trolling, flaming, spamming, and aggressive behaviour will lead to a warning and/or a ban.
    - Muppetry in any shape or form will not be tolerated.
    - Posts which are made purely to get a rise out of another user will result in a ban. No exceptions.
    - Posters who abuse personally others will be banned. This includes insulting another user, making fun of them for something they post or do in real life, etc.. Attack the post, not the poster.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Anyone go see Deadpool yet?? Just back and i ****ing loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Anyone go see Deadpool yet?? Just back and i ****ing loved it

I ****ing loved it too, better than the first for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

For anyone who has Sky on demand, there's a series on there called The Nineties and it's so good. Each episode has a different theme like TV, Us Politics, Terrorism, Technology etc. Worth a watch

Loved the music episode. Wish i was a teenager in the 90s. The height of the grunge era and later Britpop. I imagine the death of Kurt Cobain was fairly traumatic for music fans and the industry. You have to wonder if he was still with us how different the music world could be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

PTH2009 wrote: »
    For anyone who has Sky on demand, there's a series on there called The Nineties and it's so good. Each episode has a different theme like TV, Us Politics, Terrorism, Technology etc. Worth a watch

Loved the music episode. Wish i was a teenager in the 90s. The height of the grunge era and later Britpop. I imagine the death of Kurt Cobain was fairly traumatic for music fans and the industry. You have to wonder if he was still with us how different the music world could be

Sounds like my kinda show - thanks for the heads up dude. What station is it, Atlantic?

Advertisement