Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Think the same programme was on National Geographic about a year or 2 ago.. Was a really good show..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Sounds like my kinda show - thanks for the heads up dude. What station is it, Atlantic?

It's on Sky arts

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Gonna feel so unloved after tomorrow when no one wants to talk to me. No campaigning. No GDPR mails. How will I manage? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I was expecting way, way more calls to the door. Only one of each for the whole campaign :(

Ah here lads. The accusations against Morgan Freeman. My heart can't take much more of my favourite actors being destroyed :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Ah here lads. The accusations against Morgan Freeman. My heart can't take much more of my favourite actors being destroyed :(
    You know it's bad when God himself is accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,706 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I’m pretty sure they have been around for years.

If memory serves me right they first broke about 10/12 years ago when he crashed his car with the women he was cheating on his wife with in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Miss Daisy?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I’m pretty sure they have been around for years.

If memory serves me right they first broke about 10/12 years ago when he crashed his car with the women he was cheating on his wife with in it.

Also rumoured to have had an relationship with his adopted daughter or granddaughter, Freeman is not exactly a squeaky clean man

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭A Rogue Hobo

I have to say, I can't wait for the referendum to be done with tomorrow. I can't get away from it with it being all over news, social media, friends and people handing out flyers in town and it's gotten rather exhausting/nasty the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,463 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I have to say, I can't wait for the referendum to be done with tomorrow. I can't get away from it with it being all over news, social media, friends and people handing out flyers in town and it's gotten rather exhausting/nasty the last few weeks.

Yeah can't wait for it to be over

If yes wins we will see all the cringy tears from the supporters and the No side going ape **** vice versa if no wins

Although I have little interest and womt affect me I'll still cast my vote as hero's died years ago for our right to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 86,734 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I feel the same

Oh I'm definitely voting (I'm a yes personally) tomorrow but it's just... I don't know... I feel like it has gone way beyond constructive debate at this stage, and people on both sides haven't exactly covered themselves in glory. Even people I know on social media saying things like if you vote no I'm going to delete you and similar nonsense. I feel like this has been our most American-esque (in that it's become quite sensationalist in a general sense, no offense to any American Boardsies out there I'm sure this doesn't apply to you personally) approach to any type of vote in our history which in of itself is a bit depressing. Mis-information left and right, trolling, insults and in some cases a general lack of knowledge of the topic at hand. Obviously it's a very polarising issue and it was always going to be contentious, but nonsense like putting NO in giant letters on a mountain and saying its guarded by a bull or whatever the hell that was about or every Tom, Dick and Sally thinking they are Gandhi all of a sudden with a 10 paragraph post on Facebook when in reality its comes off as a bit condescending and and narcissistic. I actually find it exhausting even thinking about it at this stage. I don't care what way someone wants to vote and promoting their cause, but there's a lot to be said for doing so in a civilised and informative fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Proud Yes Voter but tbh would agree social media has been poison regarding this referendum. The fact is so many on both sides live in a bubble and both feel they have a monopoly on compassion and respect for women which is obviously bollocks. Its a much more complicated issue than that.

Its depressing as so many of them are probably oblivious to the fact that they will have family members and friends who will vote differently to them, but regularly insult them with all sorts of cruel insults obliviously.

It's naive to think this ends today tbh.

A yes win will see massive protests from the No side, ala America, and a long term push to run elections based on what parties will legislate for about Abortion.

Meanwhile, a no vote doesn't fix the issue, doesn't make the fact that people will still be getting abortions in less than stellar conditions. A no vote doesn't stop abortions but it's possibly too late to sweep everything back under the rug.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭xtal191

Oh I'm definitely voting (I'm a yes personally) tomorrow but it's just... I don't know... I feel like it has gone way beyond constructive debate at this stage, and people on both sides haven't exactly covered themselves in glory. Even people I know on social media saying things like if you vote no I'm going to delete you and similar nonsense. I feel like this has been our most American-esque (in that it's become quite sensationalist in a general sense, no offense to any American Boardsies out there I'm sure this doesn't apply to you personally) approach to any type of vote in our history which in of itself is a bit depressing. Mis-information left and right, trolling, insults and in some cases a general lack of knowledge of the topic at hand. Obviously it's a very polarising issue and it was always going to be contentious, but nonsense like putting NO in giant letters on a mountain and saying its guarded by a bull or whatever the hell that was about or every Tom, Dick and Sally thinking they are Gandhi all of a sudden with a 10 paragraph post on Facebook when in reality its comes off as a bit condescending and and narcissistic. I actually find it exhausting even thinking about it at this stage. I don't care what way someone wants to vote and promoting their cause, but there's a lot to be said for doing so in a civilised and informative fashion.

People who do this are ****ing clowns, you don't dislike or hate someone for having a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

I can say, ive taken serious consideration from both side, despite what way Im voting im fairly undecided. I wont be bullied into voting or guilted. Ive taken the facts on both side into account and still not leaning one way or another. Both sides have decived, those firmly in one camp are blind to the others side.

No matter what way Im voting, I see good sides and bad sides. I just hope I make the right choice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

beakerjoe wrote:
    I can say, ive taken serious consideration from both side, despite what way Im voting im fairly undecided. I wont be bullied into voting or guilted. Ive taken the facts on both side into account and still not leaning one way or another. Both sides have decived, those firmly in one camp are blind to the others side.

I have to agree. I'm away so can't vote, but to be honest what it boils down to me is:

Do I want to vote No to refuse women the right to terminate when they have no wish to carry to term? Not at all to be honest.

Equally, do I want to vote Yes to allow the killing of unborn children (my opinion, I've read everything medical in relation to this). Also not in the slightest.

So, for the first time since I was able to vote, I'm actually glad I'm unable to do so.
    And I think that makes me sadder.

I'm a pretty strong Yes vote myself if I'm honest.

I don't believe a fetus before 12 weeks is a baby. It's a clump of cells that can't feel. So with the proposed 12 week limit, I simply don't see it as "killing".

I think, having worked with kids with severe disabilities, that parents need to have options to choose from during pregnancy. I admire massively people who make the sacrifices required to bring up children with certain disabilities, and I've been lucky enough to have interacted with some of the most amazing disabled children, who are full of love. But so too do I think that it can be an utterly miserable way to live, for the children and for the parents; children who need 100% attention around the clock not just as children but for their entire lives, who cannot operate with any degree of individual freedom or responsibility. Its not a life that some are living.

I think that there's many don't have the resources to support children like that, as well. In fact, I've gotten pretty annoyed by some on the NO side who are completely ignoring that not everyone has the financial or emotional backing to support a severely disabled child.

For many, because of a lack of options, it can be a complete cruelty to not allow people an option to deal with such issues during pregnancy. If people discover they are to have a child with a disability and make the choice to keep them and raise them, then I admire their dedication. But it should be their choice, weighed up on multiple contexts, not something forced upon them no matter what the situation.

I also think that no matter what happens, abortions are happening anyway. Thousands of women are forced to flee the country or resort to pills from the internet at a time when they should have all the support we can possibly give them. Exporting that problem, turning a blind eye and ****ting on women in need like that, is utterly despicable imo. I think that a Yes vote allows our country to take care of our population, rather than pretending that problem isn't happening.

If I got a girl pregnant, I'd like to think I'd be pretty pro-life. But ultimately, I think that the important part is that it would be our choice to make. Not one forced upon us.

For me, ideally, we'd be rolling out that choice along with massively improved sex education classes in schools, improved medical support offered to expectant mothers at all levels, and a far stronger support structure for those who make the choice to keep their children as well. But it should be an individuals choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I’ll be in the yes camp too. It’s about safe choices and after care support amongst many other things for me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Lord TSC wrote:
    I don't believe a fetus before 12 weeks is a baby. It's a clump of cells that can't feel. So with the proposed 12 week limit, I simply don't see it as "killing".

Yeah, and I accept that people do have those views. I on the other hand feel differently in that regard.

My first child probably shouldn't be here, my wife took a morning after pill as we both were terrified of the responsibilty that had been thrust upon us. Yet, the clump of cells decided that wasn't going to be the end of him and we have today a bouncing, vibrant 4 year old who is the apple of both our eyes.

Once the initial shock had passed, we accepted this was going to be the next step in our family and have never looked back.

I honestly look back in shame at myself for agreeing to attempt to remove him from our existence.

I could go on, but the PW Forum isn't the place for a large debate on the issue.

Like I said, I think I'd be happy to let the country decide this one for me rather than plainly come down on one side or the other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I voted yes.

While I don't like the idea of abortion where the baby is healthy and mother has no health reason for an abortion, I don't really think that is what this is about. A yes or a no does not change the ability for many to access such an abortion (those who can afford it). A No continues the travel while Yes changes the location. I believe the number of people in the above category opting for an abortion will not rise significantly.

Yes would allow financially poorer people to opt for a safe procedure at home with proper care rather than looking to the internet. Again I don't think the option for a legal option in Ireland will see a big increase in abortions.

What yes will do in allow the mother come first. To stop positions where a ladies health has to become ' in danger'. Where mothers are forced to carry unhealthy babies or travel abroad to do something that is not their choice/wish.

Whatever happens with the vote. Support is required to allow women make the right choice for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Voted yes myself as i dont like idea of abortions other than in risk to mothers life but everything around it about the health well being of a woman and the mother being first.

have to say i tried to stay away from social media of both sides as i felt they were misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The In Her Shoes facebook age was enough for me to vote Yes. The thought of having to make such a horrible trip to the UK for that is so grim and imagine how even more depressing it would be for someone to make such a trip if no wins? Not everyone has the option either of popping over to the UK for so many reasons. Let them do it here.

I don't believe the idea of abortion on demand anyhow, as if people are going to use it so flippantly. :rolleyes:

But yes avoid social media!

Voted yes myself

I believe Its the choice of the women if they want to abort the child or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

It's a tricky one for me, because I think that both options are too extreme, but on opposite ends of the scale

I don't think that we should have unlimited abortions, I think they should only be carried out under certain circumstances (rape, the inability of the parents to care for them, poor fetal development, things like that)

On the other hand, I don't feel like women should be forced to given birth to a child they don't want. And I definitely don't think that I, as a man, have any right to say otherwise. I'd be very interested in seeing what the percentages are if you were just to take female voters into account. I know that the would-be father should have some say in the decision, but since it is the woman's body, I feel like it should ultimately be her choice

The big swing vote for me was when I saw this map

https://www.reproductiverights.org/sites/crr.civicactions.net/files/documents/AbortionMap2014.PDF

Spot the odd country out of all the supposedly 'developed' nations

So I'll be voting yes, not because I think it's the perfect solution, but because IMO it's the better of the two options available

Lord TSC wrote: »
    It's naive to think this ends today tbh.

A yes win will see massive protests from the No side, ala America, and a long term push to run elections based on what parties will legislate for about Abortion.

Meanwhile, a no vote doesn't fix the issue, doesn't make the fact that people will still be getting abortions in less than stellar conditions. A no vote doesn't stop abortions but it's possibly too late to sweep everything back under the rug.

While it doesn't end today for sure, there will be fallout of course. However i don't believe it'll be anywhere near the degree you think it will be. Similar predictions were made for the same sex vote and they just didn't happen. As time passes, we have a much younger country with liberal views and disillusion with ever shrinking power of church and state. I think this will be closer than the same sex marriage but not at close as people will make out. It will pass comfortably enough I feel, and at the end of the day, if there are protests from the no side, they'll only be listened to if they become the majority (which i believe they are not in this case) so itll fall on deaf ears, they'll quickly lose interest when realising no one is listening and move on.

Heading out to my first LOI game in years. 3rd vs 4th Waterford vs Derry City. Great evening for it

Wetting the apitite for the Waterford Hurling match Sunday

Heading out to my first LOI game in years. 3rd vs 4th Waterford vs Derry City. Great evening for it

Wetting the apitite for the Waterford Hurling match Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,185 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I usually pay little to no attention to all the horrible news in the world, or try to at least, but the Ana Kriegel stuff breaks my heart and makes me rage simultaneously.

It's fúcking hideous.

Advertisement