Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

eh i dunno wrote: »
    How are United getting around financial fair play rules by spending 200m every year?

Cash coming in from their numerous sponsors i'd guess, plus whatever they make profit wise every year, i would imagine that some of that goes towards the transfer window funds.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

United are one of the world's powerhouse clubs, with massive fanbases the world over. We can spend so much because we've spent so many years generating fantastic revenue through so many means. It's not just a sugar daddy dumping money into the club; it's money earned through decades of work.
    I think and anyone feel free to disagree with me, but Man United supporters are still attached to the dominance of the Ferguson era, and are unwilling to let go.

Would agree, and there's a fair bit of romanticism about Fergie's reign as well, especially the tail end, when RVP was bailing us out of some horrid performances. There are too many players who don't fit the jigsaw and I'm quite happy to see LVG ship them out and look to bring in top class players. Just cause ADM and Falcao are struggling doesn't mean they weren't fantastic signings when they were made, and a few more of that level and their ilk and we'll be flying again.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    United are one of the world's powerhouse clubs, with massive fanbases the world over. We can spend so much because we've spent so many years generating fantastic revenue through so many means. It's not just a sugar daddy dumping money into the club; it's money earned through decades of work.

Would agree, and there's a fair bit of romanticism about Fergie's reign as well, especially the tail end, when RVP was bailing us out of some horrid performances. There are too many players who don't fit the jigsaw and I'm quite happy to see LVG ship them out and look to bring in top class players. Just cause ADM and Falcao are struggling doesn't mean they weren't fantastic signings when they were made, and a few more of that level and their ilk and we'll be flying again.

When Ferguson was first hired way back in November of '86, United were a faded force and he and those who helped him throughout the years literally rebuilt United into the world wide powerhouse it is today, all his and his staff's graft made United, unlike say Chelsea with Abramovich or City in recent years with their oil money.

If it wasn't for Ferguson & Gill's shrewdness in luring Van Persie to Old Trafford from Arsenal for £22 million pounds in August of 2012, Ferguson might have retired sooner than he did. There was a lot of deadwood that needed clearing and Van Gaal recognized that, and went and solved it. Di Maria will come good eventually, Falcao - it's a shame he wasn't signed when he was knocking them in for fun at Athletico & Porto respectively. Van Gaal is building a team, and that is going to take some time. And for those who doubt Van Gaal and his methods, watch this and remember what Giggs said after the last home game of last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think with LVG, best bet is to see where Man U are at the end of the season. They could still nick fourth. However right now their isn't to many positives under his reign.

The style of football has been wretched, he has consistently played players out of position and so far he is persisting with a past it RVP up front. I agree their may be deadwood but their was some quality players their before he came in and he has splashed a lot of money last summer.

Top 4 football isn't asking for the world when you consider the money spent, and how patchy the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

United aren't missing out on Champions League football next year lads. LVG covered his hole saying it would take years to fix the side and it probably will but there's no empires being built by City or Chelsea that I could see being unstoppable in the next 5 years. Worst case scenario ye come forth Liverpool still miss out narrowly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Congrats on the new business venture TSC, hope you're flush and buying yourself a jewel-encrusted pimp cup in no time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Ah see no women here. Will ya tell me what the fruity booty is?

AKA, me learning that Jay from OSW is a mod on these forums. I really should go to the wrasslin' section more often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Happy Birthday thebostoncrab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Happy birthday TBC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Happy Birthday TBC!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Yup happy birthday crabman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ah see no women here. Will ya tell me what the fruity booty is?

AKA, me learning that Jay from OSW is a mod on these forums. I really should go to the wrasslin' section more often.

A winner is you! Ya me being on PW boards pre-dates OSW. It's the only other place I post regularly outside of OSW. Really excellent community of good, positive, intelligent people. Stay awhile!

jaykhunter wrote: »
    A winner is you! Ya me being on PW boards pre-dates OSW. It's the only other place I post regularly outside of OSW. Really excellent community of good, positive, intelligent people. Stay awhile!

Always thought we would end up seeing a load of OSW fans finding boards due to your presence here though it hasn't really happened yet.

Same here with regards posting, of course you hear that others post in 1/2 other places but boards offers as good or better than them IMHO and (PW at least) sees very little trolling / mod action be needed.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Actually, I might have actually noticed you around the forums, it's just I never made the connection until not long ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

Finally getting a second opinion in my hand after nearly seven years tomorrow. 3Early drive up to Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm sure most of you have heard by now about the dress which people see differently. Some look at it and see blue and black, others white and gold:

_81284606_untitled.jpg

More on the story here for those interested...

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31659395

Anyways, I'm curious what folks around here see? I'm seeing blue and black personally.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

White and gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Leonard Nimoy is dead :( I'm heartbroken!

That's sad news. I always thought he was one of the best guest stars to appear on The Simpsons.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Angron wrote: »
    White and gold.
    Scratch that, now I'm seeing blue and gold.

Shame about Nimoy.

• Advertisement

Nimoy was a great, real shame.

feels odd now commenting on the dress... white and gold

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭kksaints

White and Gold.

Shame about Nimoy. His Simpsons cameos were fantastic.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

The dress.

I see white and gold.

Mom sees Purple and black.

Brother sees white and gold.

Mom thinks something is wrong with us or her; couldn't believe when my brother said a different colour than her.

RE: Nemoy.

Very sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Myself and Leonard both believe it's blue/black and apparently it was proven correct too.

kksaints wrote: »
    White and Gold.

Shame about Nimoy. His Simpsons cameos were fantastic.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The dress.

I see white and gold.

Mom sees Purple and black.

Brother sees white and gold.

Mom thinks something is wrong with us or her; couldn't believe when my brother said a different colour than her.

RE: Nemoy.

Very sad :(

Annoyingly everyone in my family sees it as blue and black like I do. I was hoping to mess with some minds.

Regarding Nimoy, I'd no idea he directed Three Men and a Baby. I remember liking that movie as a kid. Seems like he was a very talented guy and I like that he didn't take himself so seriously.

Not sure if anyone has seen The Rageaholic's video - Rageaholic Cinema: The Hitman, but there's a cheap shot thrown at OSW Review in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,392 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm sure most of you have heard by now about the dress which people see differently. Some look at it and see blue and black, others white and gold:

_81284606_untitled.jpg

More on the story here for those interested...

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-31659395

Anyways, I'm curious what folks around here see? I'm seeing blue and black personally.

Blue and Brownish Black

I sure you will look amazing in it MNG :p

According to the Mirror, Van Gaal wants 5 years in charge of United.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/man-united-boss-louis-van-5250801?

• Advertisement

10 wins in a row for Ireland now and always nice to beat England. Looking good for the 6 nations with Wales to come in 2weeks and dare I say positive signs in a world cup year

Advertisement