Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I feel though that there has to be more to it than "Clarkson walked up and socked a guy".

I work in TV I've been on countless sets and seen a tonne of heated rows, but you can't punch someone no matter what (unless there's a stunt guy present)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I work in TV I've been on countless sets and seen a tonne of heated rows, but you can't punch someone no matter what (unless there's a stunt guy present)

I'm always reluctant to say "never"; from reading reports, the trio arrived at the hotel after a long day of filming to be told there'd be no hot food. There was a 30 minute argument and a 30 second scuffle, presumably because the guy said something to a tired and hungry Clarkson and Clarkson responded in a stupid manner. The guy went to hospital and Clarkson reported himself to the BBC, while trying to get in contact with the guy to make amends (That's according to the offical BBC reports).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's ok to just box someone, but I find a lot of people are taking glee from the firing when the reality is we don't know the whole situation; there's a sense that the context or whatever doesn't matter. I'm not a violent person, but that doesn't mean there's not been instances where I've taken a swing at someone who has said some very hurtful things during arguments. Context and the following behaviour should account for something.

Personally feel that BBC wanted rid of him and his wages, and this was the perfect excuse. Of all the things that he's done, this seems so tame I guess. :/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Foul , not bad no card
    Foul, not bad, warning about fouling,
    Foul, not bad, already warned, yellow
    Foul, silly, last warning
    Foul, you were told, red.

Wasn't Clarkson warned about his behaviour loads of times and put on his last warning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I'm always reluctant to say "never"; from reading reports, the trio arrived at the hotel after a long day of filming to be told there'd be no hot food. There was a 30 minute argument and a 30 second scuffle, presumably because the guy said something to a tired and hungry Clarkson and Clarkson responded in a stupid manner. The guy went to hospital and Clarkson reported himself to the BBC, while trying to get in contact with the guy to make amends (That's according to the offical BBC reports).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's ok to just box someone, but I find a lot of people are taking glee from the firing when the reality is we don't know the whole situation; there's a sense that the context or whatever doesn't matter. I'm not a violent person, but that doesn't mean there's not been instances where I've taken a swing at someone who has said some very hurtful things during arguments. Context and the following behaviour should account for something.

Personally feel that BBC wanted rid of him and his wages, and this was the perfect excuse. Of all the things that he's done, this seems so tame I guess. :/

I have heard that account as well and I have been the guy to get no hot food after a shoot it happens its one of the pitfalls of going behind schedule while shooting. But really in the context of a workplace a punch is a punch.

I'll be disappointed Top Gear is't on tele I enjoy it it's a bit of fun. And I personally don't revel in anyone getting the sack (I know you didn't say I did) but actions have to have consequences.

Yeah hes been on thin ice with the BBC so with the amount of stupid stuff that he's got in trouble with over the last 2 years,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I expect Clarkson, May and Hammond to wind up on Sky, probably with contracts that dwarf what they made in the BBC. Clarkson will do quite well out of this I suspect.

What interests me is who the BBC get to replace him. I would love Alan Partridge to be the new host. Apparently there's a petition for that to happen but I'd say the chances are slim to nil. It's a bit of a poison chalice to get the role unless you have some sort of strong fanbase already, Fry, Coogan etc.

• Advertisement

I've heard Netflix are also majorly interested in nabbing the trio, and you'd imagine the show will continue in everything but name.

As for what BBC produce, the names being touted fill me with dread; I don't like Chris Evans or Alan Partridge, and I also feel that no matter who goes in, they'll be impostors. The show was the trio imo. It will be very difficult for it to survive without them :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,390 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I feel though that there has to be more to it than "Clarkson walked up and socked a guy".

Was it that he punched an Irish producer over food?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was it that he punched an Irish producer over food?

That's the short version anyway; the long one, as mentioned above, is that they had a long shoot, arrived late to the hotel and were told there was no hot food left. Tired, hungry and, according to some reports, slightly liquored up, Jermey engaged in a 30 minute argument with an Irish producer before engaging in a 30 second "fracas", which seemed to involve Jermey punching the producer. :/

I always thought Clarkson was an ass who thinks he knows it all but is this what makes him a god to his loyal fans

Katie Hopkins to take over now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Sad day for fans of Top Gear,

One Direction fans crying that their precious band are no longer a 4 piece, how will they and the band ever survive this absolutely tragic loss.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1546935808686937

• Advertisement

Ah, now Dermot has left the X Factor. WHAT IS HAPPENING!?!?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

the UFC embedded videos are absolutely outstanding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

anyone see get hard yet. the will farrell movie. any good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

cena wrote: »
    anyone see get hard yet. the will farrell movie. any good
    Judging from the critics...not very.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_hard/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,045 ✭✭✭✭cena

Judging from the critics...not very.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/get_hard/

I never go by them sites.

Four big events I'm looking forward to watching in the next two days:

Ireland vs Poland
    Wrestlemania 31
    The Walking Dead season finale
    Post-Wrestlemania Raw

I'm confident all of the above will deliver on entertainment value with the exception of the match (very worried about the result of this). Anyone going to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fun Run
    Bus to the Blaa
    Waterford match
    Bus home from the blaa
    Hopefully in time for Mania

The soccer could be an absolute disaster.

Went to I,Keano last night. Was really good. Anyone else been?

The moment when you're tracking a parcel sent from Ireland to Scotland, and it's saying it's currently in Belgium.

Bingo+we+comin+for+you++_66c26c6b34f4708464ea00699649de41.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Jermaine Defoe's goal against Newcastle, sweet mother of god, a beauty, anyone see it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Jermaine Defoe's goal against Newcastle, sweet mother of god, a beauty, anyone see it?

Glorious strike. Similar volley to Paul Scholes against Villa a few years back.

The Premier League has produced some wonder goals this weekend, Alexis against Liverpool, Rooney's control, spin & shoot against Villa, Charlie Adam's 59 yard screamer against Chelsea, and now Defoe's wonder finish against Newcastle, goals like those don't happen often, but when they do, you just have to say wow and applaud them. No matter what team you support.

No goalkeeper could stop it. Amazing goal.

Damn 3 network is a disaster, never had this many problems with O2 :mad:

Ray is leaving Achievement Hunter.

Is this how 1D fans felt when Zayn announced he was leaving :(

That should seal the Champions League return for United.

I think Pellegrini is on the way out of City.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Shame QPR couldn't beat Chelsea, would have made the day perfect.

The Lord's Realm be like...

tumblr_inline_mylnflCxCP1qh4lli.gif

Absolutely brilliant result against City :D, now let's roll Chelsea over next Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

This is a weird and maybe a somewhat disturbing post for me to write as well as for all of you to read.

I've been a wrestling fan for close to 25 years now. I've grown to love this forum, this community. Everyone i've met in person, recording with or whatever has been a top bloke(or girl!).

My father is an alcoholic.

He has had years of health issues now. Heart condition, diabetes, many more ailments. In the last year i've become more of his carer and less his son. I've dedicated a lot of and given up a lot of my life to care for him the best I can.

His mood over time has darkened, he's been less and less interested in his life and every facet of that. The house is untidy, he neglects himself, drinks himself into a stupor and makes all the mistakes an addict makes. The emotional blackmail, the manipulative behaviour, everything.

It finally came to a head around a week ago. He was delirious, paranoid. He turned on his partner, me and even his dog which has been by his side for over 10 years. Slurred speech, eyes rolling everything. He is a man who worked as a psychiatric nurse for 35 years. He is a man who has suffered from undiagnosed PTSD as their is no support system in place.

We finally got him to hospital. He spent 2 days in casualty and they declared him medically fine and they couldn't hold him or admit him to a psychiatric ward against his will. At around 10 last night, the hospital phoned and said he was getting up to leave and he was saying he'd walk out. I wanted to call his bluff. He's a coward and he wouldnt have the stones to walk out. My aunt begged me to go, "what if he does go?". I relented against my better judgement.

We got to the hospital. I found him in reception chatting to the security guards. Of course he refused to leave with us. Eventually he agreed to leave in a taxi with his sister. I followed them home. I spent the entire drive back thinking about killing myself. I had suicidal thoughts in 2009 when I had extreme weight issues. That's when I knew enough was enough. This had to end. Years and years of living with an addict, my own father. The emotional blackmail, the neglect, all of it.

I got home, I packed a bag and I left to stay with my sister(half sister, we have different dads). I left to protect myself and my presence was damaging for him, and for me. He had been slightly cooperative with my aunt and I felt it was ok to leave them there. Calling his doctor, the psychiatric ward and the social welfare nurse were on the list in the morning.

This morning, I got a phone call at around 8am. It was his doctor, informing me he had signed papers along with Gardai committing my father to a psychiatric ward and that he had experienced a psychotic episode. He threatened to kill himself and also his sister and had a knife. When my aunt left the house to find help, he locked himself inside. The door was forced open and he was dragged out by an ambulance crew. My father all my life has been the gentlest and kindest man I know. He wouldn't hurt a fly. It's truly terrifying how much mental illness can affect a person. No one is safe. Nothing can be ruled out.

As of this moment he in psychiatric care. I have placed a deposit on a bed sit and I am going to start living as my own man. Despite everything, I feel good about my decisions in the past few days. Everyone is safe, whatever help he needs, he will get. Our relationship is up to him to rebuild if he ever recovers a semblance of a normal life now.

I feel strange writing this and sharing it here. But it's good to write things like this down. I will be OK. His issues are not my issues, no matter how much I took responsibility and tried to carry his cross. No one's issues are yours to shoulder. Live life as your own person. Don't be afraid to ask for help!

tl;dr I've had a few fuucked up days. But I'm alive.

Advertisement