Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Hey man. Thanks for sharing that. No one can know what you must have felt like the last few days, but I certainly do empathise. Four years ago I spent some time in a psychiatric facility due to alcohol and drug addiction and a severe mood disorder as a result. It does get better though. Wrestling became my new/old addiction when I got clean. Fair play to you for handling everything so well, when it would have been easier to just throw it all up in the air!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I've talked before about my less-than-stellar relationship with my father, so I can relate Moneymaker.

I will say I admire your bravery. It can be a hard thing to do, and I think you've done the right thing, so fair play. And if you're ever in need of a sympathetic ear, I'm not sure if I can offer any good advice, but I can certainly listen if you need someone to talk to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Not easy things to talk about Moneymaker. Its incredibly difficult to accept a loved one's change of demeanour or character due to a mental illness. I hope the future is less difficult and understand how awkward the situation can be.

If u wanna chat on skype or viber or anything shoot me a pm bro. Sometimes talking to a complete stranger(relatively speaking) can help!

Same goes from me here man. If you want to chat about anything, just send me a private message. I've BEEN the alcoholic. So I know what it's like to cause the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

You seem like a great person moneymaker. Hoping things get better for you. You did the right thing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Can only echo what others on here have said, you seem like a top lad anytime ive talked to you and I hope things get better for you and your family. Glad you feel comfortable and able to get it out via PW too as it's always good to be able to verbalize such things somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Thanks lads. In all honesty, I mourned the man he used to be a long time ago. I've no more tears left to shed for him.

Another thing i've learned really is that everyone i've spoken to, family, friends etc etc, we all know an addict. Almost everyone knows what you are going through. It's comforting to know you're never alone and there is always support.

As BH said, it does help to verbalize your thoughts and even on a place like this, i've found comfort and support, which I will be happy to return to anyone on here.

Even on boards.ie PW, you're never alone.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

First off, well done on opening up about this tough time you're going through as so many young guys in this country aren't able to do so. It takes guts to do so and I truly believe that sharing a problem is the first step in figuring out the solution to it. And remember no matter how tough a problem may seem there is always a solution. Sometimes just talking through an issue can help to figure out what needs to happen.

I'll echo what others said that if you ever feel you need to get some things off your chest and think things through feel free to pop me a PM if you want.

As DB said you're a great person and you've shown a lot of strength of character in dealing with this the way you have. Things will get better. As the saying goes: even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.

Good luck and stay strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,390 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Thanks for sharing Moneymaker, stay strong and take care, sometimes there is nothing more you can do to help and taking a step back to look after yourself is best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Fair play for showing such strength MoneyMaker. You put up with a lot, both your own demons and others but seem to have come out the other side. I really commend you and I feel like I CAN speak for the forum when I say everyone is here for you too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well I am a dad now!!!

Little Charlotte was born yesterday. All pretty overwhelming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

That's amazing! Congratulations mate. I hope you're able to get some kind of sleep over the next 3 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

gimmick wrote: »
    Well I am a dad now!!!

Did you name her after your one in NXT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,269 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Bayley?

:pac:

Congrats gimmick! and welcome to Charlotte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,390 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

gimmick wrote: »
    Well I am a dad now!!!

Congrats and lovely name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

First off Wooooooo to you Gimmick well done!

Second MM I hope this becomes a turning point for yourself and things become much better for yourself. The beauty of having something that can act as a release like wrestling cannot be understated, as escaping into something even for a little bit is always a benefit you. You're an incredibly sound lad and I've enjoyed all our chats so I really do wish you the best of luck :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Congrats Gimmick! Enjoy every moment. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Wooo for you Big Daddy Gimmick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I tried to sneak in the middle name Caroline but no :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Congrats Gimmick,

Mines 6 months old now and it seems like a few weeks since she was born so cherish it all. Let me tell you that it takes a hell of a lot of effort to be a parent in the early weeks and months but its all worth it and easily the best thing ive ever done in my life.

Enjoy it all and if you need any advice from a new daddy like myself (regarding feeding, sleeps, night feeds, and all the rest of the jazz) dont hesitate to ask.

Youll be watching a lot of RAW live over the next few weeks,believe that. Congrats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Huge congrats Gimmick!

its-a-girl.jpg

Congrats Gimmick.

First world problem: A discussion forum I like changed the layout of their site and it's awful. Might change around to a different skin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Congrats Gimmick.

First world problem: A discussion forum I like changed the layout of their site and it's awful. Might change around to a different skin.

I like the new menus!

On the subject of kids; anyone have small kids who are into wrestling? My 2 boys are 4 and 1.5 and the 4yo is showing an interest, he knows a good few of the wrestlers now from me getting him some figures and soft toys but the one time I showed him on TV (about a year ago) he got a bit... let's say physical, when playing with his cousins so his Mam put a stop to it til he's a little older. Anyone have any similar experiences? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Brendão wrote: »
    Anyone have any similar experiences? :o

My step nephew loves it. He always regurgitates the stuff that the commentators do like saying 'The Demon' Kane. Its funny but shows it works in a way, he won't say Big Show is crap though. :pac:
    Happy to see gimmick have a kid but sad to see Moneymaker going through a tough moment. I used to post on here more often a while ago under another name but I know the feeling of personal & family problems like that especially in the last year so it must have been VERY difficult for him to post that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Any one dead serious about itchy and sc..... simpsons trivia ???

Simpsons trivia nights

Me and my pal Marty are hoping to go to this and we may need 2 more guys if anyone might be interested.

I would have thought that I knew so much about The Simpsons but then I turned on the television one day and realised this new episode I was watching was about a decade old. Yikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is anyone ordering Mayweather/Pacquaio?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

No, not worth paying €24.95, the fight itself may not/will not go the full 12 rounds. Who's on the undercard?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Won't watch the fight, but I hope Mayweather loses. Haven't liked the arrogant git since he appeared on WWE.

• Advertisement

Gonna try and flirt my way in to a lockin for it because boxing is too boring to watch on your own or sober.

Advertisement