Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Legend is a term bandied around a bit easily but today we lost a true legend RIP Christopher Lee

And not to be overlooked Oliver Moody the original Fagin from Oliver passed away today

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I can only really speak of videogames. As a generality, I think videogames are sexist, in that they're promoted using women as sex appeal (gigantic breasts, skimpy armour etc) but I also think the recent games with strong female characters are overlooked in the conversation (e.g. Ellie from The Last Of Us, Clem from The Walking Dead, even Crystal Dynamics' Lara Croft had her smallest bust-size and a dismissal of any kind of titillation). I also feel the debate has been used as an excuse to spew hatred towards any kind of celebrity or public figure by the anonymous internet masses.

While I dont disagree that women can be used as sexual objects in video games, it's also worth pointing out that men are often put up on unobtainable pedestals as well; for every Lara Croft, there's a Marcus Fenix who is built like a truck. Games, in general for both sides of the gender divide, are all too keen to offer up these overtly sexulaised, perfect specimens. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Nearest place to me that people would know is spidal and I'm another half hour out the coast Rd further back than that.
    I regularly drive through Spidal. I spend a lot of time in Kylesalia, near Carna. I drive out past Spidal and take a turn to the right and head over that direction. There was a pretty bad crash on that road yesterday I heard. Those roads are mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

There is talk of a female "lead" for GTA 6 whenever that comes out.

Gaming is primarily a male pass time, so I see no issue whatsoever in the sexed up nature of the characters.

I think we talk about these things so much that it renders any subtle portrayals kind of pointless. I'm heading off to work until the morning now. Enjoy SmackDown tonight now people.

• Advertisement

I regularly drive through Spidal. I spend a lot of time in Kylesalia, near Carna. I drive out past Spidal and take a turn to the right and head over that direction. There was a pretty bad crash on that road yesterday I heard. Those roads are mental.

There was an accident in carraroe alright. Im from further back that way. Just don't take the turn to carna. The roads are mad enough.. Well the People on them are. I live in Galway city I'd go mad living there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Carraroe & the roads further back can be a bit dodgy alright, never know what lunatics be speeding on the roads.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Carraroe & the roads further back can be a bit dodgy alright, never know what lunatics be speeding on the roads.

It's knowing the roads so well that gives the lads a false sense of confidence in there ability to drive and speed they can handle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭diusmr8a504cvk

I'm giving a TEDx talk on sexism in geek culture later in the month and I was wondering if any of you lads/lasses have any opinions on it? (Wrasslin' is included)

Reminded me of this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I don't think I know a single person specifically from Carraroe that wasn't a complete arsehole tbh.

• Advertisement

I don't think I know a single person specifically from Carraroe that wasn't a complete arsehole tbh.

I'm not from carraroe. For non Galway heads it an spidal are easier landmarks.

Today was a good day :D

4142Kpnl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Today was a good day :D

4142Kpnl.jpg
    I've been meaning to get that book.

I hope RD and Bryan do a new one for the inevitable demise of TNA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Special Offer from Omackeral: I will personally pay admission for 2 newbies/lapsed fans for tonight's Dublin Derby if they fancy. It's Bohemians vs Shamrock Rovers and nothing beats being there. It kicks off at 7:35pm at Dalymount Park, Phibsboro tonight. If you can't make it, it's live on RTE2 television. Check it out.

11392910_972065482833697_1006432940798471272_n.jpg?oh=cbcdcbbc365e649c6026b600b7e127dc&oe=56007BC8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Ah the hatred at that is crazy. Good luck.

But which side will he be on?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Special Offer from Omackeral: I will personally pay admission for 2 newbies/lapsed fans for tonight's Dublin Derby if they fancy. It's Bohemians vs Shamrock Rovers and nothing beats being there. It kicks off at 7:35pm at Dalymount Park, Phibsboro tonight. If you can't make it, it's live on RTE2 television. Check it out.

Will you pay for a train from Limerick to Dublin :D The joys of being a Limerick FC fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭kksaints

Did you enjoy Tuesday night Omackeral? :D

kksaints wrote: »
    Did you enjoy Tuesday night Omackeral? :D

I did, I was still buzzing from beating Dundalk up in Oriel park, something no other team in the country has done. Plus, who doesn't be on a high in Syringeycore?! :cool:

Will you pay for a train from Limerick to Dublin :D The joys of being a Limerick FC fan.

Ha ha I won't but St Pats are doing a deal at the Limerick vs Pats match tonight to welcome our Scottish bretheren over for the Ireland vs Scotland game this weekend. Anyone in a kilt gets into Richmond Park for free!

That reads like a joke but it's legit!

There was an accident in carraroe alright. Im from further back that way. Just don't take the turn to carna. The roads are mad enough.. Well the People on them are. I live in Galway city I'd go mad living there now.
    I love going out to Connemara and just not being around people. It's fine once I have my fix of the 9.99 and Netflix. I take lots of photographs of the animals I see.

• Advertisement

I love going out to Connemara and just not being around people. It's fine once I have my fix of the 9.99 and Netflix. I take lots of photographs of the animals I see.

It's the winters when the water and electricity hide for days on end which are the killer

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I think the last Airtricity League game I was at up in Dublin was Longford Town vs St Pats. This was before Town had gotten relegated a few years back, I think it might have been the guts of 7 years ago.

It's the winters when the water and electricity hide for days on end which are the killer
    I can't say that's ever happened to me too much. I had the electricty gone for about 6 or 7 hours one time but we had been notified of it before it happened anyway.

I can't say that's ever happened to me too much. I had the electricty gone for about 6 or 7 hours one time but we had been notified of it before it happened anyway.

The converter near my parents house seems to blow every year. It even nearly fried during the week coz of the heat. And our mains pipe runs over land. There's too much rock to break through to bury it sufficiently so every big frost is a worry

Ha ha I won't but St Pats are doing a deal at the Limerick vs Pats match tonight to welcome our Scottish bretheren over for the Ireland vs Scotland game this weekend. Anyone in a kilt gets into Richmond Park for free!

That reads like a joke but it's legit!

Haha yeah I read about it on Facebook, good way to fill up any empty seats!

Last LOI game I went to was Limerick FC vs Cork City at Thomond Park in 2013 which finished in a 0-0 draw, it was also my first LOI game :D Wouldn't mind going to a few again this year though, haven't really gotten the chance to go to their games last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Been going to LOI games since 1990 :eek:

First CCFC game was V Spurs ina friendly. Gazza, Gary Linekar and a few other big names at the time played. First league game was a 2-0 win Vs Drogheda a few months later.

In that period of my life I have grown to absolutely despise CCFC. I hate everything about the useless fúcks. But guess what? I am a season ticket holder and will be going again tonight, because despite the misery they regularly cause, it is the joy that gets provided which makes it all worthwhile. If i were not a CCFC fan I would not have been present for the last minute LOI Div1 league win away to Shell's and seeing our captain lift the trophy with their bunting on it or had the roller-coaster that was last season where we somehow got to the last game top of the league with only a draw separating us from the title.

CCFC has helped me recover from a break up. It had me co-editor of arguably the finest LOI fanzine of all time. I met my wife (in the pub after a match, so its connected). Too many great sessions, loads of friends gained and lost, visiting places I never otherwise would have been

So for me, LOI and CCFC is far more than just a game on a Friday. Sad as it sounds, its my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Gimmick playing it off like he's a nerd for going to soccer while we're on a hardcore professional wrestling section of an Irish message-board ;) That's pretty normal from this geek's perspective.

Only go to about a handful of Galway United games a season because Friday nights are an awful night for me in terms of things to do. Connacht's improvement coinciding with the downfall of the old Galway United is something that will really hurt interest for a very long time. That said I'll never have the same investment for those two as I have for the hurling and football teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I don't remember when my first Dundalk game was but I remember it being against Shamrock Rovers & I think it finished 1-1. I still consider myself a Manchester United fan first & foremost but one of the most memorable nights of my life was Dundalk finally getting promoted down in Kildare. Now that was a dramatic end to a season; Colin Scanlon will forever be an honourary Lilywhite and provider of my best birthday present to date.

• Advertisement

Can you bet on Ireland to NOT qualify for Euro 2016? I think it's a safe bet. Unfortunately Ireland are piss poor with the aging Robbie Keane being one of our stars. Also Poland beating German didn't help anybody.

Advertisement