Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

gimmick wrote: »
    Just had a look there and my first post was made in the Alternative & Indie forum in a thread called "Best Neil Young Album", which makes sense for me considering what I was doing.

What do you mean?

----

When I signed up first i didn't post for a year or so. I think i really starting posting around 2004. It was when the WWE had the Tour Of Defiance - their first visit to Ireland in a decade. I was quite the mark at the time rather than the cynical jackass I have become now.

The mod at the time was Hanza, who would go on to become wrestler Red Vinny. Seemed a decent guy. The forum was very quiet back then. Like the WM thread might get 30 posts as opposed to the 1000+ we get nowadays.
    Wow, that's hard to imagine nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

WMXIX thread

8 posts!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Wow, Attitude Era boardsie! We need a history lesson about PW boards, like didn't we used to be in the TV forum? Eras of PW boards?

hmm let me see

Well boards started off as a board for people who played the game Quake. My brother, username: Bard (used to post here years ago when we watched WWE together) posted on said board and just as boards started (after hours was first iirc) to expand he showed it to me and I signed up.

My first posts were before there was a PW board but I did actually post on the WM18 thread which actually had more posts on it than the following years one which gimmick mentioned... a staggeting 11 posts! as a young mark at the time I believe my post was about how the WWE wouldn't let Hogan beat Rocky even though everyone was booing The Rock.

As Gimmick mentioned Hanza was the mod at the start but it was Bombidol (Bomb idol, not Bom ba dol as I originally thought) who I remember as the guy who petitioned for PW to have it's own board and for it to not be in the TV section (think it was TV and not Entertainment at the time) and then he was also one of the early mods.... this is a thing he created before getting the PW board set up http://www.thebombshelter.2ya.com/ ...

I honestly won't get all the details right and as the PW forum was not always so busy and therefore less worth reading nor was I online as much back then I missed things but other mods along the way who I had a lot of time for were Fozzy & Vince135792003 (who actually was a mod long after he had stopped posting cos he never stepped down officially), Orestes (who actually had 2 goes around as a PW mod and was the guy who got me modded) and I'm not sure but Ph3nom/Minto may have been mods at one point but I don't think so.

There is another mod I didn't mention yet but he will get a good mention next as I highlight that that PW actually used to have a terrible rep with many posters and until recently still with the CMods, Admins and was not the happy little community it is now. He seemed to actually be somewhat liked but ShaunRaven (others would know him as ValidReasoning) always came off to me as the inmate who ran the asylum at the time of his modship.

I essentially stopped posting in PW at one point aswell when one (only recently banned from PW) poster had his first run in the forum round 2008. The guy was a complete d!ck (most woulda just called him a troll at the time) and the forum lost a lot of good posters at the time some of which I remember asking to post again when I became mod a few years later as that poster had stopped posting (he eventually returned and had mellowed a little but if you knew his whole story you'd know how much better the place is without him) posters like Charlie McHugh for example.

back on ShaunRaven though, he eventually stepped down as mod (perhaps hat was face saving though as I think he was going to be pushed) and afterwards went off and started his own forum with Minto (who was a loss to the forum, think he actually ran the first ever draft) and iirc actually started posting pics of pw regular he disliked.

It was after this time I believe that Orestes got his second run as PW mod and the ban hammer really came into play as the lad had no hesitation to wield it and banned loads of folk so as to clean up the board, and it really improved as a result.

Then I came on as a mod as we had the faux faction war between The Munster Mafia and The Leinster Lords (or Ladyboys as some said) as posters like Flahavaj & Ger C (when he wasn't being challenged to fights outside Easons in Clonmel by Connor Hurley) took on folk like Waltersobchek.

It was also at around this time that *hic* became a thing you would regularily see posted in off topic. Generally by Orestes (think he started it) or myself & 2/3 others which would highlight that you were posting drunk.

around a year or so later Orestes stood down and we got Gimmick in as his replacement. Gimmick actually got himself demodded in 2010 as part of an april fools day joke!

It was around this time that Billy Gunn's Ex (bit on the side)started posting on boards as PinkDiva which was kinda mad cos although it was a nothing story her youtube videos were she recorded conversations with Billy (who at the time was still at his wife officially irrc) didn't become a story with the dirt sheets for a few weeks after she was already on here posting all about it.

I think it was the same year that this post was made which after a random search recently I saw quoted as the most thanked post on PW (dunno if that the case but maybe) and it's by current poster TBC

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71657789&postcount=9

phew that was a long post :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That's the most mental post I've ever read! I wonder what all those people are at now, wonder are any still around. In your opinion, when was the peak of PW Boards?

Also I put petrol in my diesel car, feel like such a jobber.

Omackeral wrote: »
    That's the most mental post I've ever read! I wonder what all those people are at now, wonder are any still around. In your opinion, when was the peak of PW Boards?

Also I put petrol in my diesel car, feel like such a jobber.

yeah tbh I thought it was mad whilst writing it. tbh the past few years are arguably it's peak cos it's busy but friendly although that said there is probably less of the mad sh!t going on thats happened in the past. Even Jayk getting a few interviews with Devitt for boards PW a few years ago was pretty big

• Advertisement

Do any Irish Indy guys have beef or a good relationship with PW boards? I understand if you don't wanna name names or usernames, although that would be juicy!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Do any Irish Indy guys have beef or a good relationship with PW boards? I understand if you don't wanna name names or usernames, although that would be juicy!

They certainly used to about maybe 10 years ago, but then it got out of hand and people started sniping about other promotions and wrestlers, so we went down the route of having 3 or 4 different irish threads, one for each promotion. This was a disaster as well. I know the IWW chief banned his wrestlers from posting on behalf of them, which was a good measure.

Im sure a few lads from the irish scene are posting here but are not advertising the fact.
    back on ShaunRaven though, he eventually stepped down as mod (perhaps hat was face saving though as I think he was going to be pushed) and afterwards went off and started his own forum with Minto (who was a loss to the forum, think he actually ran the first ever draft) and iirc actually started posting pics of pw regular he disliked.

This guy was a joke. He was mod here for 3-4 months and made the place seems like it was an unstable mess, when in fact the only unstable mess was him. A real nasty piece of work. Himself and his acolytes - RebelRockChick and Minto (MNG started the first draft, Minto horned in and started the 2nd one) tried to start their own forum, which was basically to bitch about here. This is where it got weird for me.

I went on one day and saw a thread called - "this is what a c**t looks like". It was a picture of me posted by Shawn Validreasoning Nero The Extreme Raven. His fued he was having with me (it was very one sided, I never gave him a thought once we fell out) resorted to him finding a picture of me on one of my friends "bebo". This was some proper stalking and to this day do not know how he found it. That was the end of him here. He was site banned before he got to close another account. His name, while already in the dirt, was irreparably broken.

Im sure he still looks in here every now and then, so Hi Sean :pac:

yeah tbh I thought it was mad whilst writing it. tbh the past few years are arguably it's peak cos it's busy but friendly although that said there is probably less of the mad sh!t going on thats happened in the past. Even Jayk getting a few interviews with Devitt for boards PW a few years ago was pretty big

Ahem :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭billion dollar baby

Leggo posts on boards a lot and seems sound enough. He was a wrestler with IWW If I remember rightly.

whoops dunno why I thought that was Jayk. Still think that was great for you to be able to organise especially at the time when not everyone on PW really knew about Devitt in Japan.

• Advertisement

Leggo posts on boards a lot and seems sound enough. He was a wrestler with IWW If I remember rightly.

Ah yes Rick O Shea from the Anger Management tag team. A gentleman I must say. He organises the Woolshed parties too.

He was a gent about it. So was Gabe Sapolsky.

Colt Cabana agreed to one as well and said he would mail me when he was ready so we could have valid in date questions. He never mailed me again. I mailed him a few times more, but he never replied either. Boo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

tbf to Colt I'm fairly positive that he did a Boardsie podcast with tbc once. Luckily there were no lawsuits after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

It's pretty interesting to hear the backstory of this forum.

I was a long time lurker, but I started posted here ever now and again when I became a fan of OSW which was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

My first boards post was gushing over how good Jay Lethal was. Quite fitting really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Now if only we could get Morgan Freeman to read that history

It is a shame we have lost such posters as Ger, Flav, Fozzy, Vince to name but a small few. Life just moves on.

As for this forums peak - I'd say I had most fun here between 2007-2009, but from a busy point of view it is most certainly now.

I never knew ShawnRaven was nero the extreme.

Nero posted a lot when I joined.

Agree when Rovert joined first it was just for mischief and to troll but I actually enjoyed his posting the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

whoops dunno why I thought that was Jayk. Still think that was great for you to be able to organise especially at the time when not everyone on PW really knew about Devitt in Japan.

Ha ha! I'll take the credit anyway. HISSSSSS! *Triple H pose*

Great write up about the history of the board BH. It's cool to hear how different the place was. It sucks to hear that there was a big exodus in 2008, but I'm glad we have peace in our lifetime :D Took me years to see it was Bomb-idol, thought it was bombi-dol like Bombeetle in Pokemon or something!

That website http://www.thebombshelter.2ya.com/ is a blast from the past. Looks like it hasn't been updated since 2001! Cool but sad to see some of the names that don't post anymore. I'm horrific at remembering past usernames and linking it with the current. Actually add CMPunked to the list, although he's banging about facebook from time to time. Got to meet him at one of leggo's do's, really lovely chap.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Yeah, I met CMPunked at one of leggo's things back when it was in Captain America's, I think I might have met you at that one too Jay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Had the pleasure of spending Summerslam 2014 with Moneymaker, MrKiscool and TBC. Also met Devitt at a FFPW show with TBC last summer.

Met Jay at his comic con panel too. All sound lads

Edit: forgot about Furious Red and Beakerjoe at summerslam too

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

The history of this forum would make for an excellent documentary, definitely has all the ingredients.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's stories like these that madr the Biki (Boards.ie wiki) such a great resource. Shame that's long gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Is there a cached version of this Boards wiki??

An File wrote: »
    It's stories like these that madr the Biki (Boards.ie wiki) such a great resource. Shame that's long gone!

A lot of them are linked in the hot links thread. I remember putting stuff there like the PinkDiva, Conor Hurley etc stuff a good while back for posterity if anyone wants to check em out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Ha ha! I'll take the credit anyway. HISSSSSS! *Triple H pose*

Great write up about the history of the board BH. It's cool to hear how different the place was. It sucks to hear that there was a big exodus in 2008, but I'm glad we have peace in our lifetime :D Took me years to see it was Bomb-idol, thought it was bombi-dol like Bombeetle in Pokemon or something!

That website http://www.thebombshelter.2ya.com/ is a blast from the past. Looks like it hasn't been updated since 2001! Cool but sad to see some of the names that don't post anymore. I'm horrific at remembering past usernames and linking it with the current. Actually add CMPunked to the list, although he's banging about facebook from time to time. Got to meet him at one of leggo's do's, really lovely chap.

The popularity of Twitter and FB has probably taken some people away from forums like this one. The pro wrestling section on reddit is massive too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Is there a cached version of this Boards wiki??

Possibly some pages, but I haven't looked for them in ages. I think the server that held the Biki, Tweet.ie and the Boards blogs (and probably a few other relics) eventually died under the weight of age and all the spam they attracted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wasn't aware of the mod controversy that was talked about on the previous page as I had quit watching in 2008 due to Triple H winning at No Way Out that year. Some of you may recall my little tantrum-like post where I announced I was quitting watching and yes it does come across very cringeworthy to read it years later...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55174291&postcount=73

I don't think I started watching on a regular basis until the time Bret Hart came back and made peace with Michaels. That was the only time I ever really quit watching although they managed to suck me back in.

With regards the regulars who no longer post, I wonder are they still wrestling fans or have they given up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I joined up to talk about the house show in the O2 in November 2012. I'd only gotten back into watching wrestling every week earlier that year & it was my first ever live show. Oddly enough between roughly 2007 & 2010 I think I saw more TNA than I did WWE due to babysitting in a house with limited sky channels.

Love reading about PW's past. I read about the Conor Hurley stuff before but didn't know anything about previous mods or an exodus of users.

• Advertisement

I don't think there was an exodus as such. More people just drifted away at separate times generally.

I too had a tantrum after falling out with a mod. Flav, Ger and Pingi changed my mind on that.

Advertisement