Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'm all for sticking up for the ones I care about. But only if they need me to do that. Some of the people I know are likely to just allow themselves be walked on. But this chiming in crap....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I'm all for sticking up for the ones I care about. But only if they need me to do that. Some of the people I know are likely to just allow themselves be walked on. But this chiming in crap....

Excuse me, I know someone who is offended by the word 'crap'. Take that back!

Woah, I got a fright for a second there and thought you were serious. I don't get jokes sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Ageyev wrote: »
    Not sure what you're referencing here but a friend recently made a similar point to me about people voicing disagreement on behalf of others. It really depends on what was said and in what context tbh.

It's part of that whiney American thing that's cropping up where "Everybody should be accepted and treated equally....but go fcuk yourself for being a white striaight cismale" I literally had to google what cismale was today because it was popping up everywhere. Think it's good that we don't get offended for others and barely get offended ourselves

Woah, I got a fright for a second there and thought you were serious. I don't get jokes sometimes!

There's an old internet meme about this where the lack of smileys make it hard to tell if someone is serious or not. Can't remember what it's called.

Anyway, context is important but social interactions in person are wildly different than online.

• Advertisement

For sure. I was advised by someone here before to include a smiley where possible if my message could possibly be interpreted a different way to how it was intended. Eh, :) I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Hey guys so I'm going to an afters of a wedding and have literally no idea what to do wear.

I was thinking of just wearing a suit cause I don't want to go underdressed

Can any of u help cause I'm useless with fashion

sky88 wrote: »
    Hey guys so I'm going to an afters of a wedding and have literally no idea what to do wear.

I was thinking of just wearing a suit cause I don't want to go underdressed

Can any of u help cause I'm useless with fashion

I think I wore a dark blue-ish navy suit to the last one I was at. Not everyone else there wore suits and dresses, some had on their "Sunday best".

If wearing a stripey shirt choose a plain coloured tie and vice versa - tie with pattern and single colour shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Usually a shirt, tie and suit pants would suffice. Depending on the weather of course.

It's really one of those meaningless things that people worry about.. Nobody will care what you wear but if you have suitable clothing already you will be fine.

I wouldn't be buying anything of consequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Usually a shirt, tie and suit pants would suffice. Depending on the weather of course.

It's really one of those meaningless things that people worry about.. Nobody will care what you wear but if you have suitable clothing already you will be fine.

I wouldn't be buying anything of consequence.

Yeah its the afters. Suit for wedding alright but not the afters.
    Skip the tie unless you want a drunken woman to grab it to rock out to AC/DC.....:confused:
    Just me? :o

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    Yeah its the afters. Suit for wedding alright but not the afters.
    Skip the tie unless you want a drunken woman to grab it to rock out to AC/DC.....:confused:
    Just me? :o

I'll wear a tie so :P

Thanks for the help

You can easily skip the tie but if you are worried about it and have one stick it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Shirt, tie, pants is grand for an afters. You can take the tie off when the dancing starts in earnest. I've been to so many bloody weddings at this point that I'm almost an expert on every dilemma. Except the wedding night in the bridal suite you'll have to figure that out for yourselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Just dont go the way of a dickie bow and untucked white shirt. Ive seen it far too often over the past few years and 90% cant pull it off and look like fools.

Untucked shirt with pants is not a good look at any stage IMO. Just looks clotty as my mother would say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Pentecost wrote: »
    Shirt, tie, pants is grand for an afters. You can take the tie off when the dancing starts in earnest.

This one!

When did we start saying "pants" :pac:

I'm from the country! All I've ever known.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

It's trousers damn it, not pants..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'd be in the slacks or pants camp to be honest. Trousers are more... I don't know... like chords or something

• Advertisement

Trousers seems like something my dad or grandad would say but tbh I just say jeans for chinos slacks etc

Never thought about it until now but pants always springs to mind for more formal attire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,268 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ever since Trevor and Simon told us to swing them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Blue Trousers is a great gal isn't she?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pentecost wrote: »
    Never thought about it until now but pants always springs to mind for more formal attire.

Hate the term 'dress pants' tho.
    Like your making an effort to dress up

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

For me it's always been trousers. Pants or slacks is too American really, I'd feel kinda odd using those words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,360 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I read that as when did we start wearing pants :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is like the "mam v mum v mom" debate where everybody is equally wrong.

This is like the "mam v mum v mom" debate where everybody is equally wrong.

Agreed. There are no winners in this debate.

I'm actually right though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The real answer is dungarees

Advertisement