Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This is like the "mam v mum v mom" debate where everybody is equally wrong.

It's mammy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,358 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This is like the "mam v mum v mom" debate where everybody is equally wrong.

Me Ma or Ma :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Auld doll!

When calling her, it's Mammy. When talking about her it's mum. Just because find mom and mam sound very formal, like I'm referring to Lady Penelope.

Reminds me of an episode of something with a city kid talking to a country kid and the country kid referred to his mum by name or something. The city kid asked why he did it. He asked what city kid calls his. He just shouts "Ma!" Country kid says if he did that she'd lock him in the barn with the other sheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,358 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I find using mum or mummy quite posh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah I almost exclusively use Mam I think

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I read that as when did we start wearing pants :o

Actually I recently listened to a podcast about when women started wearing pants/trousers/slacks/jeans etc. http://www.stuffmomnevertoldyou.com/podcasts/when-did-women-start-wearing-pants/

Pants were always briefs to me :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Pants are generally pants to me most of the time. Occasionally they'll be referred to as trousers. I referred to my mother as mammy as a child, then Mum until I was about 24 I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Peasants say "mam". And only peasants.

Probably the same peasants who say "santy".

There is no such thing as "santy". Now Santa. That's the real deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

gimmick wrote: »
    Peasants say "mam". And only peasants.

Probably the same peasants who say "santy".

There is no such thing as "santy". Now Santa. That's the real deal.

As one of those peasants I find that hugely not insulting

I'm with you on Santa

I agree, Santy has always wrecked my head. Who the hell is this Santy you speak of, is he the one that comes to the children who are more middle of the road than actually good ones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Mother is ma. Father is da. End of, for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I find using mum or mummy quite posh

Mumsie! (in Richard O'Brien voice of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

I call her by her first name because Mammy sounded too babyish, mam and Ma sounded common and she didn't like me calling her mum so I just say Siobhán

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

When I'm calling her it's "MAAAAA", when I'm talking to or refer to her it's "mum" (not mom which is easily the worst) and when I want to annoy her it's either "woman" or I do that thing Stewie did in Family Guy when he's trying to get Lois' attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

When im asking anything about dinner i just shout Meatloaf cause my mother hates will Ferrell and it drives her insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I'd be more of "a mham" all in gaelic in my house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Random midweek days off work can be pretty boring can't they. And it's too warm to be sitting in watching netflix all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Random midweek days off work can be pretty boring can't they. And it's too warm to be sitting in watching netflix all day

Go for a run with a wrestling podcast on the mp3 player.... sorted.

Cinema is lovely and air conditioned

I'm probably going to head to the cinema tonight myself. It's cheaper on Wednesdays here always.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Totally agree. Depends on your location but I find a long-ish walk on Bray Head, Howth, the Wicklow or Dublin Mountains a good way to get some exercise and kill a few hours. Usually somewhere decent to stop for a drink or something to eat along the way. I'm getting old and boring though!

Carlingford in Louth and Glendalough are also great.

I usually stick on a Place To Be episode and just walk from my house until the episode is finished. I do that most days. I haven't done it this week however because her royal highness is here with me and I don't want to leave her alone for upwards of 2 hours each morning.

I'm probably going to head to the cinema tonight myself. It's cheaper on Wednesdays here always.

May I recommend Straight Outta Compton if you are going? Class film.

Yes. You may recommend it. I would respond with "BITCH Y'ALL THINK I AIN'T SEEN THAT **** ALREADY FOR REAL?!" :)

Superb trolling last night from LOI player Pat Flynn who managed to convince most of Twitter that he forgot he was supposed to have a game and only found out about it via Twitter half way through, posting emoticons that he was on his way etc. Gone viral now with the likes of The Mirror and The Independent in the UK tweeting about it. He was actually injured and was never going to be at it.

Tends to be cheaper in Dublin of a Tuesday which is handy enough because most people I know are free Tuesday's so we'll head into town catch a film

Pentecost wrote: »
    Superb trolling last night from LOI player Pat Flynn who managed to convince most of Twitter that he forgot he was supposed to have a game and only found out about it via Twitter half way through, posting emoticons that he was on his way etc. Gone viral now with the likes of The Mirror and The Independent in the UK tweeting about it. He was actually injured and was never going to be at it.

It was very believable to be fair as it was the Leinster Senior Cup semi he was tweeting about. Think WCW TV Title. Sure my own team Bohs are in the other semi and I've no idea when it's on, in fact, I only posted today on our club forum to try find out!

• Advertisement

I know I'm not quite sure why it took off and he didn't seem to be either. He's a funny fecker though.

Advertisement