Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So Japan with the shocker of the day in the rugby.. Fair play to them, thought before the game started that South Africa would run roughshod on them.. Boy was i wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,833 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Scotland won't be looking forward to playing Japan now and although S.Africa may be there for the taking it's beat the scots or potentially go home for the now humbled boks.

Hope Japan get results vs Samoa & USA too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The balls to go for the win when they had a guaranteed draw was something else. This is going to turn a lot of casual fans into viewers and is great for smaller sides (although Japan have had major investment in recent years).

The balls to go for the win when they had a guaranteed draw was something else. This is going to turn a lot of casual fans into viewers and is great for smaller sides (although Japan have had major investment in recent years).

They have Eddie Jones as coach and are hosting the next world cup so this really could be huge for the sport in Japan. ON a side note though I dunno if the penalty they had was in the most kickable position so it was maybe a draw or go for the win, that said their kicker was playing well but fair fups to them for going all out for the win, fully deserved.

Georgia beating Tonga was also (far less) a surprise today too and it is good to see smaller nations developing. Combined with Ireland really impressing (albeit Canada wer no great shakes) and as its only day 2 of the tournament (first full day) it's shaping up like a very interesting competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pity TV3 took 3 ad breaks in like 15 minutes instead of looking back on the likely game of the tournament. Sooooo them -_-
    Now we get to see Matt Cooper with the sheep's teeth on him talk nonsense about Ireland tanking Canada

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Japan were 40-1 to beat South Africa, someone somewhere put money on that and are now reaping their financial reward.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Phenomenal from Japan.

I wouldn't say the Georgia win was a shock tbh. They have a ridiculous amount of good forwards playing the highest levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

ERG89 wrote: »
    JAPAN.
    **** huge upset. Cue racial stereotype jokes by Tv3

*Awaits inevitable playing of "Turning Japanese" by tv3

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    *Awaits inevitable playing of "Turning Japanese" by tv3

Oh it'll happen.
    3 weekends in a row that a team from Galway lose a final.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,853 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

We looked the best out of all the teams so far. New Zealand could blow Argentina out off the water 2morrow also expect Wales to hammer Uruguay.

Italy will give it everything against us in 2 weeks time but hopefully we will beat them and qualify for the quarters.

Super Sunday the 11th Oct. Ireland/France in the rugby and roi vs Poland in the soccer. Could be an OK day, good day or **** day in Irish sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm delighted for Japan. My heart was racing at the finish and the drama of the moment where they had the choice to go for the draw or the win, and then choosing the gutsy option, and actually doing it...bloody brilliant. You couldn't have scripted it any better. One of my favourite sporting moments of the year. I can't imagine how amazing it must have felt for a Japanese person.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We looked the best out of all the teams so far. New Zealand could blow Argentina out off the water 2morrow also expect Wales to hammer Uruguay.

Italy will give it everything against us in 2 weeks time but hopefully we will beat them and qualify for the quarters.

Super Sunday the 11th Oct. Ireland/France in the rugby and roi vs Poland in the soccer. Could be an OK day, good day or **** day in Irish sport

We did look the best, but when our opponents were Canada it's hard to put much stock in that.

Expecting the football to be very dull but Dubs to win.

I've been watching the rugby for the most part, what little I've seen of the football hasn't been terribly exciting.

Keep watching the rugby. Awful game and Kerry are toothless.

The Welsh had a good win today. Bit of a slow start, but once they were up and running Uruguay hadn't a hope. Interested in how Argentina will fare against NZ.

Also, Dublin win. I look forward to the "Dubs" I'm friends with crowing about it.

Ugh. Awful game that Kerry blew in the last 10. Poor Donaghy.

Bloody hell, two NZ players sent to the sin bin in the first half. Wasn't expecting this from NZ.

If the Argies won I honestly don't know if i'd want Ireland to top our group anymore, think NZ are good enough to do it despite starting the 2nd a man down though.

Argentina keep ticking over the scoreboard here at the start though

Either way Ireland are facing a tough match next up if we get out of the group (trying to not sound over confident)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

If the Argies won I honestly don't know if i'd want Ireland to top our group anymore, think NZ are good enough to do it despite starting the 2nd a man down though.

Argentina keep ticking over the scoreboard here at the start though

Either way Ireland are facing a tough match next up if we get out of the group (trying to not sound over confident)

When Conrad Smith was sin binned I was surprised the Argentinians didn't go for a line out or scrum considering the numerical adavantage they had at the end of the first half. Really needed to get a try up on New Zealand.
    Still good performance by them. JM Hernandez was a beauty to watch today.

With the excitement of the start of the RWC, I'd completely forgotten there was games in the Premier League on too. Delighted City lost to West Ham, and United managed to eke out a win over Southampton.

My feud with Omackeral will be a slow burn it seems, Longford Town and Bohemians drew :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Angron wrote: »
    With the excitement of the start of the RWC, I'd completely forgotten there was games in the Premier League on too. Delighted City lost to West Ham, and United managed to eke out a win over Southampton.

My feud with Omackeral will be a slow burn it seems, Longford Town and Bohemians drew :pac:

Was a better game than the one in Longford during the season. 1-1 was probably fair although we played 3/4 of the game with 10 men. If you watch Soccer Republic tonight, look out for Paddy Kavanagh's goal, cracker. Your boys scored a nice looping header to equalize too. The feud is on til we beat you pal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Does anyone know if there's any swimming pool in Waterford where you can just pay as you go? Splashworld is all that I can think of off the top of my head. I feel like hitting the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Diego Costa Ban? YAY OR NAY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Yaaaaaay

Got 3 matches and fully deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

He slapped him 3 times in the face i think he deserved it.

And if he keeps up the crap he's been pulling when he comes back, he should get bans of increasing length until he learns how to behave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

But the fact it is actively encouraged by Jose means he wont change his behaviour.

• Advertisement

As the thread title says "Rugby World Cup" in Japanese thought i'd point out that Japan are currently playing their second game of tournament (after beating S.Africa) vs Scotland (this is their first game) and have just fallen behind but it's only 9-7 after around 20mins

Advertisement