Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'm still struggling to digest the result of tonight's game. I haven't followed football closely in over a decade, but surely that's up there with our biggest victories ever in international competition?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'm still struggling to digest the result of tonight's game. I haven't followed football closely in over a decade, but surely that's up there with our biggest victories ever in international competition?
    Oh absolutely. It's monumental for us, no two ways about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Angron wrote: »
    One thing I've been glad of is seeing Greece do badly. I've hated the way they've played since they won Euro 2004 with it, and in particular that game at the world cup against Costa Rica was one of the worst things I've ever seen.

Jaysus that Costa Rica game was awful. It sticks out in my memory because myself & a few mates went to the pub for the Mexico-Holland game earlier that day but after getting pitchers we soon realised the barman wasn't putting it on til the GAA was over & we missed almost all of the first half. Then 20 minutes into the Greece game some terrible girl band started singing karaoke pop songs which made us focus more on the match, which unfortunately meant every minute of boredom was drilled home. That pub is usually good for watching football in too so I still find it bizarre they booked those women to sing that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Thread title change to reflect both of our killer sporting national teams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Impressed that somebody knows less Welsh than me tbh judging by the title.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Just had a weird feeling last night, had to stay up till nearly 5am to see the end of the match and I wouldn't always do so cos ive been burned so many times but damn I was happy I did last night.

No idea what will happen on Sunday but im looking forward to both games (going to at least try and watch both might be hard to get through the Poland game after so many late matches recently though) especially now that a draw does Ireland no good, win and get 2nd while a draw is the same as a loss in terms of end result (still playoffs). As a result it should be a more open game although tbh that might not suit us too much so we will still probably play counter game somewhat but obviously not as much.

In the rugby meanwhile I'm still hoping the less than stellar Italy performance will be the kick in the arse the lads needed to get them to bring their A game now and produce a table topping / France beating performance which will mean we avoid the All blacks in the QFs (Argentina won't be easy either though , quality side).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Best Off Topic Thread title I've ever seen

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

A draw isn't necessarily the worst for us. If the game finishes in a 2-2 draw or higher, we'd leapfrog the Poles on the head to head record. Still, they have to play for the win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I don't think Ireland can score 2 goals without going for the win, which in itself should mean we get a great game

Oh absolutely. It's monumental for us, no two ways about it.
    Just out of interest, what would be the next highest ranked team they've ever beaten?

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, what would be the next highest ranked team they've ever beaten?
    I'm not certain, I think the one that's been mentioned the most was our beating The Netherlands in qualifiers for the 2002 World Cup. I wouldn't be able to tell you where they were ranked at that point in time though.

Edit: Actually, according to the Fifa site they were #8 in the world at that stage.

I have a vague recollection of that. The one that always stands out for me though is beating Italy in Giants Stadium in 1994, which seemed even bigger afterwards when Italy ended up going all the way to the final of that tournament with some of the world's best players.

Last win over a proper side I can remember was Robbie Keane scoring that screamer in Amsterdam for a friendly in 2005/2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

CQ5xsL4WcAAAgWH.jpg

Fair play to Dundalk, they deserved it. Hopefully my own team can hang on to stay up, we aren't in the worst position, and if we beat Sligo tomorrow it'll go a big way towards helping us stay out of the relegation fight proper.

Is anyone here going to see Fear Factory in December? A friend of mine threw a spare ticket my way. I haven't listened to them in years but it should be good craic, for nostalgia.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Fair play to Dundalk, they deserved it. Hopefully my own team can hang on to stay up, we aren't in the worst position, and if we beat Sligo tomorrow it'll go a big way towards helping us stay out of the relegation fight proper.

Massive win for Limerick tonight. Three more games to play. 4 points out of 9 should be enough for us, but the last game with Sligo in three weeks could be huge.

Is anyone here going to see Fear Factory in December? A friend of mine threw a spare ticket my way. I haven't listened to them in years but it should be good craic, for nostalgia.
    Nah, wouldn't really be a big fan of industrial. My next show is Carcass, Napalm Death, and Obituary at the end of the month, thinking of getting a ticket to Cradle of Filth when they are coming over though.

I'd be interested in seeing Napalm Death but wouldn't be going out of my way. Actually, is your avatar a Cavalera Conspiracy emblem, or have I just remembered that totally incorrectly?

Nope, it's the symbol of an army from Warhammer 40k, the World Eaters. That's where my name came from too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Yeah heading along, should be great craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Nice! I have two 90s references for you: Zero Signal from the MK soundtrack, and iirc the Six-Pack Challenge in 98, Timelessness and Edgecrusher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

lost my phone last night because im an idiot

don't realize how much you rely on it on day to day use

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Unreal to think İ've most of my saturday catching up on pw boards. Wife gone away for weekend so İm free for first time in ages for a sports super sunday. Both İrish games and to a lesser extent golf,horses,tennis and more rugby.

İ predict Heaslip scores match winning try we win by 4 pts.
    Then a late late equaliser from Robbie Brady with an unreal free kick to make it 2-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Unreal to think İ've spent most of my saturday catching up on pw boards. Wife gone away for weekend so İm free for first time in ages for a sports super sunday. Both İrish games and to a lesser extent golf,horses,tennis and more rugby.

İ predict Heaslip scores match winning try we win by 4 pts.
    Then a late late equaliser from Robbie Brady with an unreal free kick to make it 2-2.

Fairly gloomy about the rugby. Think Earls could be swallowed up at centre and a static performance of last week could be repeated. French turn up against Ireland.

Soccer is a different story. Nothing to lose and this side stood up well to the Poles at home and gave a soft goal away. No reason they couldn't sneak a win. Don't know if there's 2 goals in them though. Was really impressed with the central defence and if Brady is moved up the wing he'll cause problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Dundalk FC are the finest LOI team ive ever seen. Congrats to them on their back to back league titles. Little side note- Bohs are the only team to beat them all season :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Omackeral wrote: »
    Dundalk FC are the finest LOI team ive ever seen. Congrats to them on their back to back league titles. Little side note- Bohs are the only team to beat them all season :)

Dundalk are the worst team in the worlld.

Are you looking for a headbutt to the throat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jesus, I'm riddled with an awful dose of food poisoning. Ate some German sausage From Lidl, of course, not checking the date. Was gone off by about 3 days.

The worst of it is, I can still taste the sausage everytime I burp or vom (not meaning to be crude).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭kksaints

Omackeral wrote: »

Not so sure about that. The Bohs team of 2008 was a very strong side, with some real quality players.

Advertisement