Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The last time I wrote here was pretty depressing. It's not gonna be any better this time around.

For the last seven weeks my father has been in CCU in Blanchardstown, in the advanced stages of heart failure. It's been an up and down rollercoaster of emotions, honestly it's been the toughest few months of my life. His previous visit to hospital was short, but very tough on us all. It felt like he'd lost his mind, he hit the bottle hard(severe depression) and it felt like he wasn't my father anymore. Somehow he came through it and he'd regained the man he was, physically he was obviously very frail and weak, but mentally he was himself again.

It's been very much the same these seven weeks. All the doctors and nurses have been amazed with his spirit and courage. About a month ago he had a drain installed to help relieve the pressure and drain fluid as best they could. He's had blood transfusions, all kinds of different medication. And yet he's been calm and dignified the entire time. He's never once discussed his condition with me or anyone. The doctors told me most people don't last a week. Mortality rate for heart failure is 50% within the first year and 90% after 5 years. He is now in his sixth year.

Today, I was informed he will be released home in a few days..into palliative care. The nature of heart disease being what it is, there's no timeline. Nobody knows for sure how long he may have. I see him physically and I see a very, very sick man. And yet he's not bothered or distressed at all. He's in no pain. He's constantly trying to assure me and everyone else he's not dying and this care is "not what you think". He's overjoyed to be coming home.

I don't really know what to expect or how long he may have. I don't really know how to process or deal with the range of emotions, or even what's going on and when this might end. But all I know is to everyone who reads this. Treasure every moment you have with a loved one. There's never enough time.

MM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Jesus, MM, I'm not sure what to say. Or even if I should. But thanks for sharing.

That's seriously heavy. I'll be thinking of ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,352 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It sounds like your dad Moneymaker is trying to stay strong and positive for you and the family, not sure what words if any can help but make the most of the time ye all have together as you say treasure every moment as time is so precious, stay strong too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

So sorry to hear that MM. Good to see he's got lots of fight in him and loved ones around him. Make sure to watch out for yourself and your family too man. Stay strong :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That's some tough stuff to deal with, MM. Best wishes to you and your Dad. He's a very resilient man.

Great to hear that he is happy about getting to go home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Who in all honesty isn't a ghostbusters fan..... :eek:
    Fair point. We'll see what people say when the new one comes out in July though.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Moneymaker, your dad sounds like the biggest no-seller of all time. Tell him to stop going into business for himself! Seriously, what a fighter, he's staying strong for all of you and that's class. Fair play to you for sharing that deeply personal story with all of us here. As I've said before, everyone here at PW Boards is like a community and you know we all send our best to you and your family. Stay strong champ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Thoughts are with you MM, you know where to reach me if you need an ear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Thanks guys, I have enough sympathy from close friends and family :) As tough as it is, there's always someone worse off. We have a support plan in place and he could yet live for some time, or he could go anytime just like that. It is what it is really.

Best thing you can do really is just do what we love to do. Rant about how terrible WWE is :pac:

I just think if anyone has something on their chest, please talk about it. To anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Re-read your post MM, and your dad is a fighter by all accounts, hoping he makes a swift recovery, also wise piece of advice at the end of your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Your dad is Moneymaker-maker. Excellent material.

Away from home for college. Watching Entourage. Never knew how brilliant that show was. Up to Season 6 already

Whereabouts are you going to college man? I used to watch a bit of Entourage when I did nights.

Whereabouts are you going to college man? I used to watch a bit of Entourage when I did nights.

I'm in Dublin buddy.

It's very "part time", just 7 weeks per year, over a 3 yr duration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Clown College?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

So Ireland will get either Sweden, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Ukraine, or Hungary in the playoffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hungary is the plum draw there. I would also be happy enough with Sweden.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I never know what to make of B&H to be honest. I expect a lot from them, but they've never lived up to what I've expected.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Prefer if we didn't get Ukraine and would obviously prefer Hungary but tbh wouldn't mind B&H. Sweden I just worry about the Ibra factor as it's his last chance at a major tournament and like Lewandowski he has the quality cut apart the Irish defense

I know a lot of people think those teams would like to get Ireland but tbh I don't see that, we came third in the toughest qualifying group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I think it'll be tough no matter who we draw, all teams are of similar standards and that tends to be when Ireland have struggled in recent years. Worst case scenario I think is Sweden, like us they're not the team they once were but they have an Ibrahimovic who could/should provide the edge in a tight contest. Best case is probably Hungary but even they wouldn't be a walkover like the Estonia playoff.

• Advertisement

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin buddy.

It's very "part time", just 7 weeks per year, over a 3 yr duration.
    Sounds like the kind of hours I would have loved straight after the leaving cert. Is it one of those courses where you do most of the work for it from your own home? I went to college in Dublin and I'd say it was the ruination of me, really. :eek:

Sounds like the kind of hours I would have loved straight after the leaving cert. Is it one of those courses where you do most of the work for it from your own home? I went to college in Dublin and I'd say it was the ruination of me, really. :eek:

Ya, the majority of it will be self learned really.

Do you find that's an easier way to learn? I always found it hard to do work outside the lecture.

Do you find that's an easier way to learn? I always found it hard to do work outside the lecture.

I've never done anything like this before, so I can't really answer you on that one. Have to admit, it's quite daunting at the same time though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, taxes ****ing suck :(

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Lads, taxes ****ing suck :(

Depends on the tax!

So apparently the French team have sacked their manager, and are training themselves in the lead up to the match with New Zealand. That's a first I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Angron wrote: »
    So apparently the French team have sacked their manager, and are training themselves in the lead up to the match with New Zealand. That's a first I think.

They did it last world cup as well lol

Oh, didn't realise that. Didn't really watch too much rugby at that point I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The French are mental when it cones to sport. Didn't the soccer team do it as well?

Advertisement