Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Anyone tiring of the constant Star Wars promotion everywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'm avoiding all the promo material on television, because spoilers, and i've already seen the 2 trailers, that's enough to hold me over until i see it on Boxing Day, while over in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Headed to Fear Factory on Thursday followed by a trip to Philadelphia, New Jersey and New York, solid week ahead. Will also be catching CZW Cage of Death while over there which has been a bucket list thing for quite some time! Can't wait :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Anyone tiring of the constant Star Wars promotion everywhere?

Saw the first teaser and that's it. Trying to avoid everything about it, including keeping my head down during the trailer in the cinema. Of course hasn't stopped sites from spoiling things by posting something in their headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I'm looking forward to it more than I thought I would be. As I said elsewhere about WrestleMania, it's hard not to get wrapped up in the excitement of it all now that it's so imminent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,349 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

sky88 wrote: »
    Bad bad night won't be going near the soccer thread it's like poison at the minute.

Ancelotti would be my pick if there's a change but I don't think there will be. I just hope the Giggs is no were near the choice when it comes.

Get Neville bros in there:p

10 days and counting til it's released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    10 days and counting til it's released.

Literally cannot wait for this

Was gonna wait until next moth for the crowds to die down, but now I'm seeing it on the 19th through a work organised screening. Hoping that since they're from work and not complete strangers that they'll know to shut up in the cinema. And if not, be easier for us to tell them to shut up.

People who talk in cinemas, bloody despise that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I don't get why they do talk just wait to get out of it and talk FFS

People need to learn cinema/theatre etiquette. No talking, no mobile phones, no noisy/smelly food, no feet up on seats in front if there are people there. No shoeless feet on seats/between seats in front, etc. People going to the cinema should watch the film they're paying to see or leave if they've no interest in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

3df73e4e52e322731971a8a5b0a05757.jpg

Any excuse for a firefly reference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

sky88 wrote: »
    I don't get why they do talk just wait to get out of it and talk FFS

Agreed.

Tbh, I don't mind chatting before it starts as advertisements and trailers can be so long, but after that, no thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CastorTroy wrote: »
    People need to learn cinema/theatre etiquette

Hooting and hollering is fine/can help a wrestling event or football match, but absolutely not for a film I want to pay attention to. I usually end up waiting at least a week or two to go to the cinema because of horrific theatre etiquette :( Last few times I've gone some junkies came in and started having a conversation before leaving halfway through.

Problem is, anyone on the internet (and on boards) is already in agreement, so asshats that actually need to hear it won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

Girlfriend decided to get me a Tyler Breeze for my 18th and even made him a selfie stick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Girlfriend decided to get me a Tyler Breeze for my 18th and even made him a selfie stick :D

Gorgeous

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I see Tyson Fury has been stripped of his title for offering the former champ a rematch, I don't see the big deal really, they're clearly building to a Fury Vs. Evil Boxing Commissioner at Boxamania.

I'm dreading the press conference though, no doubt the Boxing Commissioner will open with a 30 minute promo how it was best for business.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Loughc wrote: »
    I see Tyson Fury has been stripped of his title for offering the former champ a rematch, I don't see the big deal really, they're clearly building to a Fury Vs. Evil Boxing Commissioner at Boxamania.

I'm dreading the press conference though, no doubt the Boxing Commissioner will open with a 30 minute promo how it was best for business.
    (Saying this as someone that doesn't follow boxing) Is Fury the guy that beat Klitschko recently? Cause if so, that's pretty crappy given how big a deal that fight seems to have been.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Angron wrote: »
    (Saying this as someone that doesn't follow boxing) Is Fury the guy that beat Klitschko recently? Cause if so, that's pretty crappy given how big a deal that fight seems to have been.

Yes that's the guy, it's really bad form, I'm sure there's more political reasons behind stripping him, but it's really damaging for the sport as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Angron wrote: »

The explanation given to me by my boxing-loving friend is that Fury was the number 1 contender for the WBO & WBA World Championships but not the IBF. So he leapfrogged the IBF's challenger and when he won Glazkov was supposed to get the title shot due to him. But the Klitschko v Fury contract had a rematch clause for Wlad which apparently the IBF don't stand to financially gain from so they've stripped Fury of it so their challenger can get his title match.

I can only assume this is building towards a triple threat match at Boxamania 2016.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The explanation given to me by my boxing-loving friend is that Fury was the number 1 contender for the WBO & WBA World Championships but not the IBF. So he leapfrogged the IBF's challenger and when he won Glazkov was supposed to get the title shot due to him. But the Klitschko v Fury contract had a rematch clause for Wlad which apparently the IBF don't stand to financially gain from so they've stripped Fury of it so their challenger can get his title match.

I can only assume this is building towards a triple threat match at Boxamania 2016.

If that's true, it does sound hilariously like the build up for a wrestling PPV. Sure they could go for the world's first three way boxing match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Myself and the boys on our estate used to have triple threat football matches! And now it's a bloody real sport apparently!

3-sided-football.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,349 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

People need to learn cinema/theatre etiquette. No talking, no mobile phones, no noisy/smelly food, no feet up on seats in front if there are people there. No shoeless feet on seats/between seats in front, etc. People going to the cinema should watch the film they're paying to see or leave if they've no interest in it.

Plus no crying babies

People who bring babies to the cinema clearly aren't that bright.

I remember during Jurassic World ones came in and started talking. About 10 mins in, I got up to go to the toilet then when came back I just sat far away from them. Maybe I should've been more obvious.

Though to be fair, I saw Hostel in the cinema and group behind me kept up with the whole "Oh he is so dead" thing the whole way through. Then went to see Ice Age 2 a few weeks later in a packed screen and it was one of the better packed screen experiences even with all the kids there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

People who bring babies to the cinema clearly aren't that bright.

I think they just don't give a f**k about anyone else! This is 'their' screening and to hell with the rest of you childless/well-rested people :p They do have screenings for those with children but not everyone is mindful/courteous.

At the same time, if they want to watch the film, it's not really a good idea to bring a baby because good chance it won't shut up for them to hear, what with the films usually being a bit loud.

When I saw Fury Road during the year I was surprised at the number of kids at it. I'm not one for censorship or anything but even I thought it wasn't suitable for kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

You will understand when you have kids of your own!

:pac:

That other people want to experience the joy of children but just don't know it yet? :-)

And now back to thinking of a ps4 again since seeing I can get it for about €230 after a cex visit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,999 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

At the same time, if they want to watch the film, it's not really a good idea to bring a baby because good chance it won't shut up for them to hear, what with the films usually being a bit loud.

When I saw Fury Road during the year I was surprised at the number of kids at it. I'm not one for censorship or anything but even I thought it wasn't suitable for kids.
    I remember seeing a couple of kids in the showing for The World's End a couple of years back. I hardly think they came for the grown up jokes, though.

Advertisement