Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The last time I got really annoyed at the cinema was when I went to see the last Harry Potter film. Little sh*ts in front of us wouldn't shut up asking each other inane questions. A pixie appears on the screen, "Oh, is that Dobby?". Bill and Fleur, "Who are those two?". Dumbledore's sister, Voldemort's snake, everything was a mystery to one of the three that apparently needed immediate resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Ridley

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Anyone tiring of the constant Star Wars promotion everywhere?

Star Wars® apples!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Honestly I don't mind taking at a cinema as long as they keep it between themselves and to a minimum. It's when they insist on everyone knowing what they're talking about or non stop giggling for no reason, filmwise it annoys me. How many times we see people not even lean into each other to talk. Just talk out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ridley wrote: »

"Stick them apples up his arse, George Lucas must"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Sheamus is going to be in the new TMNT movie.

Begs the question: Who the f*ck gave the go ahead for another round of that sh*te?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Big night of boxing and mma on sat. Anyone getting on it?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Big night of boxing and mma on sat. Anyone getting on it?

Who's fighting in the boxing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Who's fighting in the boxing?

Anthony Joshua in the heavyweight ranks, he's some boyo. Undefeated and an Olympic Gold Medalist.

Also on the card is Chris Eubank's kid (Chris Jr) is on too against Gary 'Spike' O Sullivan from Cork. Gerrrrupouttta dat!

Omackeral wrote: »
    Anthony Joshua in the heavyweight ranks, he's some boyo. Undefeated and an Olympic Gold Medalist.

Also on the card is Chris Eubank's kid (Chris Jr) is on too against Gary 'Spike' O Sullivan from Cork. Gerrrrupouttta dat!

Don't ya mean Eubank Jnr vs Antonio Cesaro?

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/WkIsBO6ToT2T81Xxc-IA1dWYTOw=/0x133:2635x1890/2400x1600/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/47484359/GettyImages-141136046.0.jpg

It's like Cesaro nicked Scott Dawson's facial hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Joshua to win in the boxing, Aldo to knock McGregor senseless.

Lithium93_ wrote: »

Do you reckon that this whole story of Aldo being afraid etc, is maybe just a ploy to lull McGregor into a False sense of security?

Its a bit unsettling. I think somethings up. I don't buy the fear story. Aldo's been champ for years now. When wad the last time he was beat?

That being said, I really want Conor to win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Lithium93_ wrote: »

I think the same.

Although I think both aldo and Connor fear each other as they think the other can win.

Do you reckon that this whole story of Aldo being afraid etc, is maybe just a ploy to lull McGregor into a False sense of security?

Its a bit unsettling. I think somethings up. I don't buy the fear story. Aldo's been champ for years now. When wad the last time he was beat?

That being said, I really want Conor to win!

I haven't really followed the build, but from what i've read of Aldo being ''afraid'' it's classic psychology, he's drawing McGregor in, then bam Conor won't see it coming until it's too late

It won't go the distance, Aldo FTW via TKO in the 2nd

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'll miss the fight unfortunately, hope Aldo wins and McGregor makes a face turn afterwards

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

What way is the UFC Ppv on TV? Not just Aldo/McGregor, but the TUF final match....I think this will be the first UFC Ppv I would pay for....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

BT or Setanta have Aldo McGregor anyway.

UFC will be on Setanta..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

25 bean for Setanta and BT in HD on no contract for the month. Well worth it. From my experience streams can go to **** for money fights.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sweet, already have it for the football. Awesome.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Was thinking a couple times of picking up a PS4 with the recent Argos deals, but there's not much on it to justify getting it yet. Arkham Knight and Infamous.

Well that thinking went out the window. Now purchased with the justification being that I was just doing it so I have something to put on my Santa list in the form of PS4 games. :pac:

I've been playing the Last of Us a little bit on the PS4, it's a beautiful looking game.

Got it, Battlefront and Fallout 4 in the bundle. All 3 will be going to cex to make the PS4 cost about €250. I already played Last of Us and the Left Behind dlc on PS3 and no real interest in the other 2.
    Haven't set it up yet. Won't be doing that until Tuesday at the earliest since have an interview at work on Tuesday I have to prepare for.

I'll probably be getting Fallout at some stage, I'm just not sure if I'll get it on the PS4, or fix my PC up and get it on that yet.

was thinking of upgrading the PC but since one game I want to play is Arkham Knight and so many problems are being reported with the PC version, I decided to go with the PS4 since it also has some exclusives I want to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Angron wrote: »
    I've been playing the Last of Us a little bit on the PS4, it's a beautiful looking game.

I envy you, would love to be playing that for the first time again.

I've just won MGS V at auction on eBay. I'm welll behind in my gaming backlog now.

My wife is due a caesarean on 21st of December, leaving me to mind our 16 month old lad by myself for the first time alone. She gonna be in the hospital for Xmas day too, which sucks to say the least. So, next weekend, xmas comes early, gonna do gifts etc then

just looking for a bit of help regarding a Kindle.

Looking to buy one as a present for xmas but not sure how they work. Is it only through Amazon you can buy books for it and seeing as though its a present should I buy some sort of voucher with it so she can buy some titles for it?

Thanks for any help

Looking to buy one as a present for xmas but not sure how they work. Is it only through Amazon you can buy books for it and seeing as though its a present should I buy some sort of voucher with it so she can buy some titles for it?

Thanks for any help

You can email books to the Kindle. When you create a Kindle account, you get a unique email for the Kindle. So you can email books to the device if they're in PDF or Mobi format.

Also, look up the Calibrate ebook manager for PC, itll allow you to convert other formats to Kindle friendly formats. And you can email direct out of the application, amend metadata for the book etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Thanks for any help

I have a Barnes & Noble Nook so may be able to help,a little - B&N only sell ebooks in UK and USA so the Nook isn't officially for sale here, I got it cheap in Argos by way of the Bargain alerts forum.

Most ebook readers use a file format called .EPUB which is kinda open source. Kindle uses a variation of .MOBI. You're kinda limited to purchasing books from Amazon however, you can get 50,000 free ebooks that are in public domain from Gutenberg project ad afaik they have the Kindle format. Some smaller publishers may offer the Kindle format and you can use Calibre to convert between formats - there are plugins for Calibre to remove DRM restrictions.

The Nook has a USB connection allowing me to manually drag and drop ebook files. I don't believe the Kindle has this option. Books bought from Amazon are linked to your account and there was a fiasco a couple of years ago where Amazon deleted an ebook tjat they had sold because of a copyright issue.

This Wiki chart on readers might be of intrest to you
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_readers

I think there might be Amazon gift cars for Kindle. There is a subscription thing called Books Unlimited I think - similar to like Sony Playstation Plus where I think the books are a bit cheaper.

The Kobo is available through Easons, it works on .EPUB format. I've heard good things about it fwiw.

There's a big thread here on Kindle where people asked similar questions - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056413281

Advertisement