Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off Topic Discussion Thread

Comments

Thanks for the help guys!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Anyone know the best place to get an Ebook voucher. I originally went on amazon for a €50 but due to the exchange rate it came to €70.

Would people recommend Easons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Anyone know the best place to get an Ebook voucher. I originally went on amazon for a €50 but due to the exchange rate it came to €70.

Would people recommend Easons?

Hodges and Figgis sell Kindles or at least they used to. They may possibly sell a gift card.

Easons sell Kobo not Kindle so I doubt they would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Pity about the Euros draw. On the bright side maybe it will mean less pressure on the players.

With regards Aldo/McGregor, I saw on the MMA forum that over 50% have backed McGregor. This is the heart ruling the head, right? I thought the bookies had Aldo as the favourite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The heart rules the head for me every single time that I'm placing a bet. That's how I won a nice few pound after Sheamus won Money In The Bank. I have money on Conor McGregor tonight but I don't see it as a sure thing. What are you thinking yourself, betting anything?

• Advertisement

I'm not betting but if I were I'd put it on Aldo by TKO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I've no real interest in the fight, but I hope for the sake of people watching that it's at least an entertaining fight.

There's been such a lengthy build-up that it's going to be great tense viewing automatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Have Aldo by decision. Reckon it won't match the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The boxing was entertaining or rather the last two fights that I saw were. Joshua looks a great prospect but he's got a bit to learn yet in my not so expert opinion. Spike O'Sullivan did his best but was outmatched against Eubank unfortunately.

• Advertisement

How does boxing work, are there different groups or do one off events just pop up with big matches? Guys holding 4 championships at once has always confused me.

How does boxing work, are there different groups or do one off events just pop up with big matches? Guys holding 4 championships at once has always confused me.

The promoters generally put on the cards themselves and do deals with the governing bodies to have the fights recognised for titles or title eliminators or whatever. There's loads of different bodies and there's nothing to stop the same guy being champion for a number of different bodies but eventually some titles become more important or more lucrative and they'll concentrate on those. That's my limited understanding anyway.

McGregor in 13 seconds ffs. Lethal puncher, feels almost like an anti climax but stunning at the same time. McGregor v Edgar in Croke Park next?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Surely there will be a rematch cos that wasn't really a match afterall but fair play Conor doesent just talk the talk he backed it up right there

Edgar is basically the only one he hasn't fought now so it has to be either him or Aldo again. Given that Edgar beat Mendes in one round tonight you'd think he deserves a shot at the title. Suppose Aldo is entitled to a rematch too so I guess it's whatever UFC reckon they'll make more money out of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Almost as impressive for Irish sport as when Sheamus beat Bryan in 18 seconds.:p

Never seen anything like that, but like a lot of other people I want to see a rematch.

Pentecost wrote: »
    The promoters generally put on the cards themselves and do deals with the governing bodies to have the fights recognised for titles or title eliminators or whatever. There's loads of different bodies and there's nothing to stop the same guy being champion for a number of different bodies but eventually some titles become more important or more lucrative and they'll concentrate on those. That's my limited understanding anyway.
    It seems like the sport is totally muddied by money and too many cooks in the kitchen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

**** me, was not expecting that. What a punch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

Lord TSC wrote: »
    **** me, was not expecting that. What a punch!

Neither was Aldo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

The fight before was good Rockhold gave yer man some pounding I think the ref could have stopped it but with 50sec left it was a tough call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Angron wrote: »
    I've no real interest in the fight, but I hope for the sake of people watching that it's at least an entertaining fight.

:)

Wow. Just wow.

First off I apologize for querying the 50% on the MMA forum who picked McGregor. Talk about being vincidicated!

I really wish I had stayed up to watch it. Incredible result.

With the exception of Katie Taylor I can't recall a sportsperson from this country having so much pressure on their shoulders and then delivering. I have to hand it to him as it's an incredible story.

I'm just like Aldo right now: gobsmacked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Can't believe 13 seconds unreal. Also looked nervous just before it started.

Fair play to Conor was not expecting that at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know "mark out" is the wrong term to use, but it really describes the feeling when it happened. I was worried that Aldo was the one to stop McGregor. I thought it was going to be a massive brawl.

A 13 second finish though....when it happened, me and my brother were bouncing, and Mom couldn't believe it was over. Just asking what happened, why the ref stopped it, why wasn't McGregor going for the kill....no, it's over. Over over!

Just an awesome moment, pure emotion. Brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,267 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It made things awkward in the interview after because he couldn't even say it was a tough fight and Aldo was a tough competitor.

Wonder what the odds would've been on that result

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

Rather than bump the old thread I'll just ask here. Whatever happened to PW in the spotlight? Remember the q & a thread?

I always enjoyed it but it seemed to just fade away.

What do the mods think, is it resurectable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Kankan14 wrote: »
    Rather than bump the old thread I'll just ask here. Whatever happened to PW in the spotlight? Remember the q & a thread?

I've liked the idea, and have suggested it be resurrected on 2 separate occasions in the past too. I'd love to see it back

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kankan14 wrote: »

Is that the kinda thing where a different poster gets asked questions about themselves?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

An File wrote: »
    Is that the kinda thing where a different poster gets asked questions about themselves?

Yup, more or less.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Well Flah was the guy running it and he no longer posts on boards so umm thats what happened to it. The old threads (think there was around 8) can all still be found via the hotlinks sticky though.

Advertisement