Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.1 Science Degree + Exam/FYP rechecking

Options
  • 20-06-2014 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, new to the Boards.ie forums so please be nice. Encountered a dilemma recently and would love some sage advice. Okay here goes:

Just recently completed my science degree with a 2.1 at a 67.3% average. I worked really hard throughout the year and was set for a 1:1 with an FYP Lit Review (5 credits) score of 82% and good exam scores last semester barring a Micro module (55% overall) which contained a marking scheme of 0% relevance to what was thought yet I provided a solid exam which would have gotten a 70%+ if the scheme was relevant.

The final semester I had worked really hard on the dissertation and project implementation phase of the FYP by collecting my own samples as none were available,constantly submitting drafts of my work to my supervisor to review and routinely cleaning the lab and helping out where possible by setting up equipment and lab organisation etc. I gave a good FYP presentation and was complimented for my work. I received my results and was very chuffed with the exams as they were tough but I got high 60's and 70's but unfortunately I received a project score of just 60% (10 credits) and was absolutely gutted as I know in my heart and soul that the work was worth 70 -75% which prevents me from getting a 1:1. The Lit Review (82%) makes up a large component of the final dissertation and the information flowed well due to the paper being reviewed multiple times. The study was inconclusive but that does not matter in biology due to the variability etc yet i provided a detailed comprehensive 55+ page dissertation nonetheless.

Im awaiting my FYP supervisors response and see if they can justify the marking criteria but I'm hoping the supervisor isnt holding a grudge against me for not signing up for the PhD program as its not something I would enjoy doing professionally or personally. I appreciate the time taken to teach me and look out for me like they did but I would be lying to them and myself if I signed up only to drop out later. I hold the supervisor in high esteem and went even as far as asking them for a reference as part of my application to a taught MSc.

My dilemma is this:
    1. Would having a 2.1 science degree vs a 1:1er put me at a disadvantage in the working world? I have no interest in pursuing academic research as its not my scene.

2.I have an interest in entrepreneurship and innovation ie working in start-up science and medical technology companies and I have vision for what I want to achieve. My MSc is a business based science degree and will stand to me as I pursue this career path. Will companies/people refuse to interview me based on this 2.1 criteria?

3.I'm guilty of having an active social life in college which is why I maintained an average of 65% and therefore I have had 2.1s from 1st to 3rd year as I ran societies and won awards for my contributions. Im a firm believer of experience vs education and I would flourish in the working world. Am I being completely irrational about this due to the pressure I put on myself to do well this year?

4. Has anyone ever had their project or exam paper regraded by the exam appeals office in order to secure a better grade and if so, how did they fare ie did they pick up marks such as 10 -15% or enough to pass from a 2.1 to a 1.1?

Apologies for the lengthy read guys but I would really appreciate some advice right about now.

Thanks!

Advertisement