Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Leaving Cert

Options
  • 20-06-2014 6:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm considering repeating leaving cert because I decided to do undergrad medicine rather than doing grad medicine which is like 12k per year.

Will I be able to do HL Maths if I did Ordinary level maths for LC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

You can choose what you want to do surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭otpmb

No, probably not but, it depends I suppose, on how you did in the leaving and junior cert.

For example if you did junior cert higher and got an A or a B, or did higher level maths for fifth year and then dropped to pass in 6th, you might have some chance of doing well but, higher level maths for leaving cert is pretty difficult and it's hard to get top grades, which you need to get medicine.

In my opinion, you should focus on doing 6 or 7 other subjects well, spend your time trying to get As in subjects you've already done at higher level.

Higher maths only gives you an advantage if you get over 100 points (i.e between a 105 and 125 points) in the subject, because you can get 100 points in any other subject for the leaving cert. You would need to score higher than a B3 to get more than 100 points. If you think you will get less than a 100 points in maths, you should probably just focus on your other subjects; they will be easier and less time consuming than maths, and you will get 90\100 points in them if you work hard.

Remember for medicine, after 550 points, every 5 points is only worth one point and you need to do a hpat. It might be better, for you to spend more time studying for the hpat, by doing practice tests. Studying the hpat could be more important and give you more points than spending loads of time on higher level maths.

To get medicine you you will need about 550 points in the leaving cert and a score of between 180 and 200 points in the hpat, higher level maths is not a requirement in any university in Ireland.

Speaking from experience, higher level maths is definitely the hardest subject for leaving cert, the course is long, the exams are tricky. I know the bonus points seem great but, think about whether they will really give you an advantage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,183 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Depends on your school as to whether they will let you be in the HL LC class if you did OL for JC.

It's a whole different way of thinking in HL Maths - it requires much more abstract thought than OL - what made you drop? You should always at JC take subjects at the highest level you can, even if you think you might fail. The standard of answering on JC HL papers is much closer to what is expected at even OL LC than is expected at JC OL.

If you get an A at OL JC Maths, the school has the problem - are you a good OL student, or are you a really good OL student who should have done HL? A D or C in HL would have told them so much more.

tl; dr You'll need to check with the school what class you can go into. The SEC don't care what paper you take on the day.

Advertisement