Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beekeeping chit chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 def345

Newbie question.
    I got a nuc a four weeks ago.
    I'm not interested in getting honey this year, as I want to build up the strength of the hive for winter.
    But they've expanded to fill up the brood box (national hive with ten frames)
    Is it too late to add a super, or is there no down side (extra space I guess will cool it down)
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

def345 wrote: »
    Newbie question.
    I'm not interested in getting honey this year, as I want to build up the strength of the hive for winter.
    Is it too late to add a super, or is there no down side (extra space I guess will cool it down)
    Thanks

I'd super it for a bit, just in case they honey bound the nuc box. Wouldn't expect honey, just a bit of space for them for a while.

Short while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

...But they've expanded to fill up the brood box (national hive with ten frames)
    Thanks

There is still a month of summer ahead. I would add a super.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

Newbie question.
    Thanks

Add a super or there's a good chance they'll swarm if they're congested. There's a great saying among beekeepers that applies here: better them looking at it than looking for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My wife dug up the pampas grass and found a load of bumble bees at the base.

She dug it up and put them out in the veggie garden away from kids and dog.

Just to say, it wasn't ME :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

Hello. General question please. My bees, which up to now have been exceptionally docile, went mental when I went in on Tuesday. To be fair, I haven't been in for a few weeks but was able to check super from top and it wasn't full şo wasnt worried about them. I went in on tues to do a mini inspection. They went crazy! They got extremely agitated extremely quickly so much so that I had to abandon it. I saw the queen and there's plenty of brood and eggs. I didn't see any queen cells in the part I managed to inspect. We also have a swarm under the eaves in the house. These girls also seemed to be a little agitated. Any ideas? Is it that I hadn't been in in a few weeks, the weather?
    As an aside, when they did go crazy they stung the hens (approx 10m away) several times on their heads/combs. I think they might be gone blind now. Any cure/ chance they'll survive?
    Thanks in advance.

Jayzus.

If the Queen is still there in guessing they are worked up 0ver the weather, honey flow stopped etc.

They sound like a right shower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Mellifera wrote: »
    Hello. General question please. My bees, which up to now have been exceptionally docile, went mental when I went in on Tuesday. To be fair, I haven't been in for a few weeks but was able to check super from top and it wasn't full şo wasnt worried about them. I went in on tues to do a mini inspection. They went crazy! They got extremely agitated extremely quickly so much so that I had to abandon it. I saw the queen and there's plenty of brood and eggs. I didn't see any queen cells in the part I managed to inspect. We also have a swarm under the eaves in the house. These girls also seemed to be a little agitated. Any ideas? Is it that I hadn't been in in a few weeks, the weather?
    As an aside, when they did go crazy they stung the hens (approx 10m away) several times on their heads/combs. I think they might be gone blind now. Any cure/ chance they'll survive?
    Thanks in advance.

With a dearth they'll be much more prone to aggression for the next month until ivy starts. Make sure you've your smoker going well before you go near them and there shouldn't be any need to be at them much at all, only to remove honey and/or check they've enough stores

Wasps are very busy at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭howsshenow

Same as Millefera below, nursing two stings on my hand from "mental" bees on Saturday- one sting through latex glove!
    Just one other observation from me as a newbie.. I have one strong hive and had a full super of capped honey on it and lots of honey in the broodbox also.
    I removed the super of honey two weeks ago and put it in the freezer as I don't have equipment to separate.
    I checked the hive at weekend and I was surprised to find almost all the store of honey in the broodbox gone! I thought this was going to last them the Winter!
    I put on a Feeder that evening.

So my Question is.. Are these guys going to build up stores for the winter or have to continue feeding them or do I give them back the frames of honey from the Super I took off?
    It's a strong hive with laying Queen and lots of brood.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Mellifera

They might bring in some during the ivy flow. No harm to have feed ready though. My Brood is full of stores but I'll have some feed on standby as winter goes on.

Ivy being worked hard in Cork today.

Had a few nucs that were tearing through stores.

That was in the hot week.

Check your hives folks for stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

Danzy wrote: »
    Check your hives folks for stores.

I had checked last weekend. All of mine seem to be choke full of honey. If there is an ivy flow coming, there won't be space to put it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

First swarm of the year it's in a box, will tey keep it there, early action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Gorse fire very close to a hive yesterday, the firemen were fantastic and as usual saved the day; and the bees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Gorse fire very close to a hive yesterday, the firemen were fantastic and as usual saved the day; and the bees.

Wow. That was close. Amazing photo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

First swarm of the year it's in a box, will tey keep it there, early action.

My swarm trap has lots of interest but no occupants. Fingers crossed.

What part of the country are you in?

Mad Benny wrote: »
    My swarm trap has lots of interest but no occupants. Fingers crossed.

What part of the country are you in?

That's in Cork city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I started a beekeeping course in Feb but it got cut short in March. I was really hoping to start this year. I have two new hives and am rearing to go. I've set up a few homemade boxes, swabbed with lemon grass oil in an attempt to lure a swarm. Nothing yet. If all else fails I presume I can buy a pair of nucs in early june. I'm based in South Tipp. Any recommendations re a source for the nucs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

jooksavage wrote: »
    I started a beekeeping course in Feb but it got cut short in March. I was really hoping to start this year. I have two new hives and am rearing to go. I've set up a few homemade boxes, swabbed with lemon grass oil in an attempt to lure a swarm. Nothing yet. If all else fails I presume I can buy a pair of nucs in early june. I'm based in South Tipp. Any recommendations re a source for the nucs?

Contact south Tipperary association, they rear nucs for beginners

South Tipp association is one of the best in the country for training people, probably the best.

South Tipp association is one of the best in the country for training people, probably the best.

I've heard. Before everything happened, I was in the middle of a course with N Tipp association (live in north but farm is south) and it was great. Instructors were fantastic and very approachable. They said however they were anticipating a scarcity of nuc colonies.

I've heard. Before everything happened, I was in the middle of a course with N Tipp association (live in north but farm is south) and it was great. Instructors were fantastic and very approachable. They said however they were anticipating a scarcity of nuc colonies.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

Fingal Beekeepers, no 1, fight me! :D

Seriously though, great training there as well. After the course and you have the option (space available) to get your first year in the association apiary. Group inspections every Sunday so you get to see a variety issues across the group.
    They also pair people up with mentors.

And they'll set you up with bees (again assuming they have bees from a member/association apiary).

All of which makes absolute sense for the association. You'd prefer your neighbours were well trained beekeepers provided with bees of known provenance as opposed to poorly trained beekeepers importing bees from good knows where.

Hi thanks for the info so far. I actually bumped into someone from the course and they said they'll prob be able to sort me out next month.

As I said before I've been trying to lure a colony. I have bait boxes up all over the farm and in ditches across the parish with no luck. Yesterday though I noticed a few dozen bees flying around a spare brood box at the back of the house! I had put a bit of lemon grass oil in there a few weeks ago but had kinda forgotten about it. More bees arrived today - there are at least 50 bees climbing in and out of the box right now. I'm hoping a swarm arrives shortly - is there anything I can be doing to further entice them?

Just a quick follow up. I checked another hive I left on some land away from my main farm (approx 4 miles away). Lots of bees teeming around the entrance. Very surprised!

Hi thanks for the info so far. I actually bumped into someone from the course and they said they'll prob be able to sort me out next month.

As I said before I've been trying to lure a colony. I have bait boxes up all over the farm and in ditches across the parish with no luck. Yesterday though I noticed a few dozen bees flying around a spare brood box at the back of the house! I had put a bit of lemon grass oil in there a few weeks ago but had kinda forgotten about it. More bees arrived today - there are at least 50 bees climbing in and out of the box right now. I'm hoping a swarm arrives shortly - is there anything I can be doing to further entice them?

No, they may be scouts but as you are he I guess there is no drawn wax in there, si probably nothing fir foragers.

They love the drawn wax.

• Advertisement

Just a quick follow up. I checked another hive I left on some land away from my main farm (approx 4 miles away). Lots of bees teeming around the entrance. Very surprised!

Sounds positive.

Advertisement