Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property boundaries

Options
  • 20-06-2014 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question.
    My wife and I are currently in the process of finding our first home. We are interested in an end-of-terrace house and I was wondering how I might access details of the property boundary for the future purpose of a possible extension.
    Do county councils hold these records/plans and are the public accessible?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The Land Registry will (if it's registered as it probably is as a terraced house) have the Folio & map for the property but it won't necessarily show the property boundary and they take no responsibility for guaranteeing anything about boundaries (boundary disputes are common). Is the boundary in any doubt? Is there no wall/fence that would hint at the likely boundary line?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sketchpad

There's a small storage shed built onto the side of the building. The agent was very vague about it, he said the owner's sister rents it out to a local builder who keeps his supplies in it and its not part of the house. I want to have a look at the property map to make sure everything above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

that does indeed sound odd. I thought a property map should come with the folio/contracts etc that your engineer will be able to verify.

I've only viewed the property and don't want to waste time on it if there's something unusual going on. I figure I'll be quicker myself getting the maps.
    How does one get plans form the Land Registry?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

sketchpad wrote: »
    I've only viewed the property and don't want to waste time on it if there's something unusual going on. I figure I'll be quicker myself getting the maps.
    How does one get plans form the Land Registry?
    I ordered a Folio (no map) from them online. I think you can order the maps as well, for a fee of course. Don't think I had to provide any information about who I was to get the Folio, come to think of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

also go with gutt feeling. Its scary but sometimes things don't fit. Also ask the EA for an exact clarification about this shed which they should get from the owner-they can lie but you can pull out later and they can't be feeling aggrieved..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

sketchpad wrote: »
    There's a small storage shed built onto the side of the building. The agent was very vague about it, he said the owner's sister rents it out to a local builder who keeps his supplies in it and its not part of the house. I want to have a look at the property map to make sure everything above board.

Tell the EA that you would expect vacant possession of the entire property and expect such a rental arrangement to be terminated if/when you buy it.

thanks for the advice guys, I'll you posted

Advertisement