Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

Ok disregard my last message, I just got a call to see if I can take a position in Revenue. I had an inkling about this as the lady who interviewed me was from Revenue and my background is in a similar area although it has been many years since I worked in it.

Now for some decisions to be made!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bec123

Same here after them only calling to check references yesterday! Talk about quick. Wasn't expecting things to move so fast...

Yep my dilemma is that while they give the location for the training, they can't tell you where you will be based after the three months.

Yes, I was told somewhere in Dublin - vague but I'll likely take it anyway. My issue is I have to give notice in my job and with the training starting on the 26th, I don't know if just over a week will be enough for my employer. Hate to leave on a bad note.

I told her I couldn't start on the 26th so she has me down for the 9th.

No flexi time or leave during training either. I have an important family event that I have to be at so that might scupper me if they are very strict on the leave issue. Only thought of it when I got off the phone.

Was really surprised to hear from them so soon.

• Advertisement

Oh that's not so bad then. If I can start the training later, I should be fine. I'll call your one back tomorrow and see what she says.

Very quick altogether. Delighted to have something concrete though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 seanf88

Got a call today to start in peoplepoint on Feb 2nd.

Chuffed about it, call was out of the blue

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Starry12

I am driving myself mad here. Know my references were checked yesterday after I received the permission call. I am so impatient!

I wanna know NOW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

Got call today from Revenue asking me to start on 26th Jan. Told her I couldn't as have to give current employer a months notice so I'm starting 3 months training on Feb 9th. Only got the call re references last Thursday so after months of waiting to get through the process things are moving quick ☺

I'm think I'm gonna have to pass on the Revenue job. Not knowing where I'll be based is just not working for me.

I'll call them back tomorrow and let them know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭AshF22

Penguin100 wrote: »
    I'm think I'm gonna have to pass on the Revenue job. Not knowing where I'll be based is just not working for me.

And if u could tell them 323 would would gladly fill the space lol ! All seriousness id think seriously before turning it down u could potentially be given an ideal location!

AshF22 wrote: »
    And if u could tell them 323 would would gladly fill the space lol ! All seriousness id think seriously before turning it down u could potentially be given an ideal location!

Yep but I could be given a totally impractical location. If I do the training and then after three months am given a location that doesn't work at all then I'm out altogether. At least if I turn this down, I am still on my local panel .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

You really need to think seriously before you do that - once you're in situ and out of probation you can apply for a head to head transfer with a CO in another tax office, or another govt department.

Most people who get on in the civil service have to endure temporary inconveniences like that for periods of time throughout their career. So unless you are very restricted by your domestic arrangements you shouldn't be too hasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Yep my dilemma is that while they give the location for the training, they can't tell you where you will be based after the three months.

I'm not sure this is correct, I think you should double check. They should be able to tell you if you'll be in Dublin, or Kerry, but not which specific office. That's the norm with Revenue.

I'm not sure this is correct, I think you should double check. They should be able to tell you if you'll be in Dublin, or Kerry, but not which specific office. That's the norm with Revenue.

There is three months training and then after that you will be assigned to a revenue office but they can't tell you which office. There are offices all over Dublin so while I could get one within a reasonable distance, I could also get one that is not practical.

I will phone them back tomorrow and explain my reason for turning it down and see if there is any way they can even give an idea of which offices are lookin for staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

O C 2007 wrote: »
    Once your references are checked, does anyone know if you receive a phone call from the HR Department of where you're going or do you get news by post? Checking my phone constantly here!

I got news by post and it said the HR of where I'm going will be in touch, got letter day before Christmas Eve I think and not heard since but it's early days.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭luckyboy

There is three months training and then after that you will be assigned to a revenue office but they can't tell you which office. There are offices all over Dublin so while I could get one within a reasonable distance, I could also get one that is not practical.

I will phone them back tomorrow and explain my reason for turning it down and see if there is any way they can even give an idea of which offices are lookin for staff.

From a friend's experience with the recent internal EO competition, Revenue tend to be practical in terms of assignments to locations. In other words, if they know the North side would suit more, they'll try to put you somewhere near there if at all possible. Think twice before you turn it down ....

How did you get on Penguin?

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    How did you get on Penguin?

Well before I had a chance to phone, they phoned me to see if I was going ahead. I explained that the lack of info on the location made it difficult for me. The lady I spoke to was very nice and totally understood where I was coming from but she said that they had no idea where the positions would be. She said that they had offices all over Dublin, which I knew as I had been looking at their site last night.

So that's me off the Dublin panel. Slightly peeved that you are asked to accept a position without knowing where you will be based but sure them's the breaks.

She asked me to email PAS to let them know which I did this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

Just got the message for stage 2, I am below 50 and applied for Limerick/Tipperary. Finally some progress. Woohooo :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭paddycakes

Just got the message for stage 2, I am below 50 and applied for Limerick/Tipperary. Finally some progress. Woohooo :-)

Great news!! Finally news for those of us outside Dublin!!

That's great, delighted to hear they are moving on the regions.

If you are below 50 you have a great chance, stage 2 is very similar to stage 1 so I'm sure you will do well and move on up the list:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

Got my message too.

Well before I had a chance to phone, they phoned me to see if I was going ahead. I explained that the lack of info on the location made it difficult for me. The lady I spoke to was very nice and totally understood where I was coming from but she said that they had no idea where the positions would be. She said that they had offices all over Dublin, which I knew as I had been looking at their site last night.

So that's me off the Dublin panel. Slightly peeved that you are asked to accept a position without knowing where you will be based but sure them's the breaks.

She asked me to email PAS to let them know which I did this afternoon.

Sorry to hear that, was hoping they might have been a bit more accomodating for you. Are you waiting for news on another panel? Good luck if you are!

Nikki2302 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, was hoping they might have been a bit more accomodating for you. Are you waiting for news on another panel? Good luck if you are!

Yes and the PAS emailed me back and confirmed that my application is still active for that panel so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Donald73

I received further info by email today about my application. Delighted that things are moving on, hopefully will be working soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Sinead Mc1

Me too! Although I am in the high 80's! Yay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keowny8

Once you get called it doesn't matter what position you placed in round 1 or have I picked it up wrong?

keowny8 wrote: »
    Once you get called it doesn't matter what position you placed in round 1 or have I picked it up wrong?

I think you're right. You get a new place based on the stage 2 assessment. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

keowny8 wrote: »

You are right, but they use stage 1 for order of merit when calling people (obviously) and also if your score in stage 2 is a certain percentage different to stage 1 you will be disqualified. It's a method of getting rid of the people that got help at home on the stage 1 test.

Advertisement