Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Positions in the Civil and Public Service

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I emailed PAS for an update on calling people to stage 2 for my regions. Others may find the info useful. Here is what they told me:

Up to place 1351 on the order of merit on the Dublin Panel.
    Up to place 324 from the Limerick panel.

The call ups for stage 2 for the Cork panel are due to issue this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pagz

Ciaran wrote: »
    They rang me the day that I posted it reminding me to send it in so they're probably used to people taking their time. I'd already accepted the job on the phone though so that might make a difference somehow.

Cool thanks. I think I'm just going to send it in because even if I am offered the other job (big if), I can't imagine they would ask for notice since the first 3 months are training. Just wouldn't make sense. Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭marylou82

lizzy09 wrote: »
    Me too, I haven't stopped checkin lol

Haha! I know, it's so distracting..

I've just checked about 12 times already today.

I don't know why, I am not expecting to pass. I got thrown on the numerical part.

I just want to be put out of my misery :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Tina82

I'm attending Stage 2 next Tuesday (27th jan) in Dublin ....anyone any advice?? is it more or less the same as stage one...do they provide calculator or do we bring our own... very nervous about it ...:/

Tina82 wrote: »
    I'm attending Stage 2 next Tuesday (27th jan) in Dublin ....anyone any advice?? is it more or less the same as stage one...do they provide calculator or do we bring our own... very nervous about it ...:/

Tina,

Its more or less the same I guess.

They will give you everything you need. Just remember to take your photos, ID and a print out of your invitation!

Also, don't panic. I did the whole "Staring at one question blankly" for waaay too long haha. If you don't know, skip it!

Perhaps try go online and do some example testing because it will probably help you get into the swing of it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 shoobz

marylou82 wrote: »

I don't know why, I am not expecting to pass. I got thrown on the numerical part.

Definitely don't think that way - I too got caught out on the numerical and was fully convinced I'd failed. Ended up placing 76th, so I was completely wrong! You never know how you did in the other sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Unitedfandoc

Also, don't panic. I did the whole "Staring at one question blankly" for waaay too long haha. If you don't know, skip it!

This is the best advice really. My strong point is maths but I got stuck on one question and spent way too long trying to figure it out.

Also they provide you with a calculator, a pencil and a piece of paper for rough work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Magellan2015

Tina,

Its more or less the same I guess.

Why do people keep saying this? The format is completely different, it's nothing like the online Saville tests were.

It's the same as the practice tests on the publicjobs website though, which are very good practice. Instead of a load of 90 second testlets you have a 20 minute straight run through, and you can go back through the questions again to check your answers. It is verbal, numerical and error checking though. But if you go in expecting it to be the same as the Saville online ones, you'll waste half your time going WTF??

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I'm in the same boat as you with the numerical! Spent so long trying to get the question to absorb into my brain that when it came to actually calculating I hadn't the time.

Fingers crossed for us all that we did unexpectedly well anyway. It's torture checking every day, it's like waiting on lotto numbers to be announced!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭paddycakes

Great news!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Beginner to this

I'm the same, I presume our best bet is to read the booklet. It gives everything we need to bring and the format of each test. After that it's just plenty of practice. Good luck.

Jade182 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you with the numerical! Spent so long trying to get the question to absorb into my brain that when it came to actually calculating I hadn't the time.

Fingers crossed for us all that we did unexpectedly well anyway. It's torture checking every day, it's like waiting on lotto numbers to be announced!

Not just me then!

Yay.

Oh, I know! I keep checking here too, just incase I missed a mail hahaha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I emailed PAS for an update on calling people to stage 2 for my regions. Others may find the info useful. Here is what they told me:

Up to place 1351 on the order of merit on the Dublin Panel.
    Up to place 324 from the Limerick panel.

Is the number of people being called for Cork the same as Limerick, I wonder? I'm 328 for Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Is the number of people being called for Cork the same as Limerick, I wonder? I'm 328 for Cork.

I'm not sure. I'd imagine there would be more civil service jobs in Cork than Limerick. I was surprised that they took so many straight away through to stage 2 in Limerick. Maybe they'll take more for Cork through to stage 2. I'm 477 in Cork but I think my only realistic chance would be Dublin. At the rate they seem to be going through the Dublin list I might called to stage 2 sooner than I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Is this for the Dublin region? I did stage 2 for Dublin in Dec, wonder if we'll hear soon if they're moving onto the next grouping?

Why do people keep saying this? The format is completely different, it's nothing like the online Saville tests were.

Apart from the stage one questionnaire, it's basically the same. Certainly not "completely different".

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭eroc79

From my understanding, Limerick/Tipp is a separate region to Cork. I applied to both and Waterford also.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭DeKing

Was suprised to get an email today with an invitation to attend for interview in Dublin. Seems to be for the Passport Office. I currently have a job I got last year with good prospects so I declined. My total score on the online assesment and appitude test were 221 and I placed 4737 which is why I'm suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lizzy09

Not just me then!

Yay.

Oh, I know! I keep checking here too, just incase I missed a mail hahaha :D

Me too, I'd rather no either way :) Really have no idea how I did, I thought it went pretty ok but also felt numerical part didn't go brilliantly!! Anyway hopefully know tomorrow... Fingers crossed we all are being a little pesimistic and did far better than we think lol

DeKing wrote: »
    My total score on the online assesment and appitude test were 221 and I placed 4737 which is why I'm suprised.

That's strange. Did you do stage 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Penguin100

DeKing wrote: »
    Was suprised to get an email today with an invitation to attend for interview in Dublin. Seems to be for the Passport Office. I currently have a job I got last year with good prospects so I declined. My total score on the online assesment and appitude test were 221 and I placed 4737 which is why I'm suprised.

I'd say it's a temporary position.

I'm not sure. I'd imagine there would be more civil service jobs in Cork than Limerick. I was surprised that they took so many straight away through to stage 2 in Limerick. Maybe they'll take more for Cork through to stage 2. I'm 477 in Cork but I think my only realistic chance would be Dublin. At the rate they seem to be going through the Dublin list I might called to stage 2 sooner than I thought.

Yeah, I'd imagine there would be more jobs in Cork, well I'd home so! Continually checking my mails, feel like this has been going on for months.

lizzy09 wrote: »
    Me too, I'd rather no either way :) Really have no idea how I did, I thought it went pretty ok but also felt numerical part didn't go brilliantly!! Anyway hopefully know tomorrow... Fingers crossed we all are being a little pesimistic and did far better than we think lol

It's so hard to know!
    Fingers crossed you are right, best of luck to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 keowny8

Limerick/Tipp has Revenue decent sized offices in Limerick, NCW, Nenagh & Thurles while Justice has big office in Tipperary Town. Also as with all cities the SW in Limerick is a very busy office.

IS their big CS offices in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

keowny8 wrote: »
    Limerick/Tipp has Revenue decent sized offices in Limerick, NCW, Nenagh & Thurles while Justice has big office in Tipperary Town. Also as with all cities the SW in Limerick is a very busy office.

IS their big CS offices in Cork?

In Cork there would be the dole office, revenue, CSO are out in Mahon and there is the Passport office also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

In Cork there would be the dole office, revenue, CSO are out in Mahon and there is the Passport office also.

and county hall, city hall, and other public service offices scattered around the county.

Isn't there a second dole office opening on George's Quay in Abbeycourt House?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭bagel2010

Hi all

Doing the stage 2 tests next week
    Just wanted to ask were the stage 2 tests the same as the familiarization booklet linked practice tests in regard to difficulty and time allowed.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Divisadero

No. They are different from the Saville Tests you did in stage one. But you will find similar tests on the actual PAS site. Just look for the CO tests on there.

Just added the link for you:

http://www.publicjobs.ie/publicjobs/advice/test/assess.htm

• Advertisement

For the Dublin people that completed Stage 2 in December:

I called again to see when the results would be out.

They said they'd mail "sometime this week".

Last week they said Monday or Tuesday.

Argh…haha. JUST TELL US!

:P

Advertisement